The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

let-me-know-what-you-think-milo

I got my current chair at my university surplus, and the casters are absolutely awful. I practically have to pick it up to move it.

If you like these, Iā€™m ordering a set immediately haha. I was looking at the product page when you posted them a few days ago, but didnā€™t pull the trigger yet.

I know you probably wonā€™t be able to judge the durability immediately, but curious nonetheless.

Also, for everyone here:

237e09f19809d497ac97b99d6a707ad4

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s the tricky thing with theseā€¦ they all feel like youā€™re sliding across frozen glass and you first put them onā€¦ It takes many weeks before you start to notice things are a bit wonky. If the product page is correct though and they use the kinds of bearings they show on the product page then I would expect these to perform a lot better for a lot longer.

1 Like

Decided just to go ahead and get them. I got a $25 Amazon gift card from my neighbor for Christmas, didnā€™t know what to get myself.

If these are good, itā€™ll be a nice bump in daily comfort, if not, thereā€™s always returns :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve never used rollerblade wheels on my chair before, just the crappy default wheels on all of the chairs Iā€™ve owned. Excited to see the difference.

1 Like

Youā€™ll love it.

I had an office chair like that many years ago. It didnā€™t have fancy casters, just good ones that happened to work really well. I hated it: each time I would cross my legs, it would slide backward, it would move as I moved in the chair, like moving backward if I suddenly jerked forward to see something upclose, just by reaction because the friction was so low.

Eventually I went to Carpetright and bought a large rug to put underneath it and slow it down. And in short order, my boss replaced the chair because he hated the rug :slight_smile:

Pretty sure google got in trouble for logging GPS history even when users switched it off, and apple canā€™t actually be switched fully OFF or it can still wake by itself from time to time to log things.
Modern phones have the 3/4/5G modem powered up and initiating before the CPU wakes, so since the modem is a ā€œblack-boxā€ it could do quite a lot of stuff the user has no control over (think firmware changes or exporting a memory dump)

One option that may provide reprieve from the Apple-Google duopoly is the ā€œLibrem 5ā€ by Purisim. Its touted as an open hardware Linux phone with removable batteries, and 3 cut-the-power type kill switches for camera, modem, and WiFi/BT. Also modem and WiFi modules are user replaceable via m.2 interfaces.

Iā€™ve been waiting 2+ years since I pre-ordered some waited almost 4 as there have been covid, chip supply, and organizational issues, but around 1600 have shipped so far so it is realā€¦eventually

Merry Christmas to you also

2 Likes

Last couple years I just canā€™t seem to get the holiday vibeā€¦ like I feel like itā€™s going to be all cheerful and special

But it just feels like any other dayā€¦

I donā€™t think itā€™s depression?.. but ya never know I guess? Or at least doesnā€™t seem any more than my baseline for a lot longer than the past couple years

Just seems like since covid everything is blurred together,
Itā€™s getting hard to tell if something happened yesterday or 3 weeks ago

Guess itā€™s hard to be in the spirit when you barely know what season itā€™s supposed to be

1 Like

:notes:Itā€™s the most current time of the year!:notes:

I hope youā€™re all having as good a time as possible

2 Likes

Get out of my head!

Now Iā€™m going to need an RTC implant or somethingā€¦

Same. Iā€™m like oh itā€™s Christmasā€¦ kā€¦

I think it has to do with the whole ā€œjust trying to get through thisā€ approach of the last couple years or soā€¦ just waiting for things to kind of sort themselves outā€¦ days blendā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m using up most of my remaining vacation since itā€™s the end of the calendarā€¦ Iā€™ve been off for 2-4 days alreadyā€¦ and Iā€™ve been trying to think for the past 5 minutes and I legitimately donā€™t know if itā€™s Friday Saturday or Sunday

I think my only sense of time lately has been
ā€œHow many days left in the work weekā€
Followed by
ā€œHow many days till I have to go back to workā€

3 Likes

Itā€™s as is if weā€™ve squeezed all the excitement we can out of life already, the most exciting part of oneā€™s month is learning what the new COVID variant is called.

Thatā€™s how my internal calendar works.

1 Like

happy-sad

1 Like

I was getting a bit into that mood, too, latelyā€¦ but then I thought, fuck it, Iā€™ve never been much of a christmas person, so I shouldnā€™t wonder too much why I donā€™t have this sparkly, comfy christmas feeling^^
Itā€™s very easy to explain it all with the current situation, butā€¦ as usual, I try to see the beautiful things instead.
No, I had no real christmas feeling, but we visited my mom yesterday (as usual, on december 24th), had a nice meal, played some games and just had a good time - without any pressure, without expectations or anything, and it was just a wonderful evening.
I know itā€™s hard, hard for those who have health problems, lost their jobs or even people they had close to their hearts. I know this fucking pandemic is massively getting on our nerves, at best, or does some real damage at worst. But still, maybe letā€™s all try to see less clouds and more silver lining - for if everything around is already pretty fucked, it doesnā€™t make things better to contemplate about how fucked everything is :wink:

That being said, I wish all of you some great holidays, a merry christmas, a (slightly belated) winter solstice or whatever you all celebrate - and if itā€™s just a few days off of work, thatā€™s something to celebrate as well! Thanks for this strange, philosophic, debating, helpful, funny and welcoming community :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The missus told me something odd the other day: the pandemic has been around long enough now that there is an entire generation of young chidren who donā€™t know, or at least canā€™t really remember a time without masks, isolation and sub-par education through videoconference. It really hit me when she said that. I mean itā€™s an almighty annoyance for us, but imagine what massive disturbance to those kidsā€™ lives itā€™ll be when things return to normal: theyā€™ve never known normal. This is their normal.

Scary shitā€¦

2 Likes

Wise words,

I have a really fucked up outlook sometimesā€¦ but it does have this itā€™s amusing coping effect sometimes

The times when the depression rears its head, I kinda convince myself that nothing mattersā€¦ so much so thatā€¦ if nothing matters, then why not enjoy and have fun along the wayā€¦ being depressed also doesnā€™t matter in the end

Hard to put into wordsā€¦

2 Likes

Great attitude
:unicorn_blow_kisses:
I live my life by a few principles, One of those being

" It could always be worse !!! "

No matter what is happening in your life, It could always be worse!

Another relevant one

" Be thankful for what you have, Donā€™t worry about what you donā€™t have"

6345581e0feecc962c23cf159e6b9657_w200

images (30)

eric-idle-monty-python

I have a couple more, but iā€™m sure nobody wants to hear more of my life philosophy

4 Likes

Our 9yo remembers before masks but 2 years is a huge percentage of her lifetime so farā€¦ and when we watched a Christmas movie yesterday some sick lady was talking at the family and the kiddo was like Hey! Sheā€™s sick she needs to wear a mask! ā€¦ and I was like ā€¦ actually yeah that bitch should have beenā€¦ itā€™s people that go to work or talk at people who are clearly sick and halfway dying that spread shit aroundā€¦ Iā€™ve never liked being around sick people because they are feeling so shitty they donā€™t have the energy to be considerateā€¦ but simply wearing a mask could stop so many illnesses, even if you have to go to work sick forā€¦ reasonsā€¦ a mask would make a big difference, and if even if we looked at it just in stark corporate terms of productivity and lost profits, it should be supported by companies that sick people who want to work should work from home or wear a mask to 1) stop their putrid plague breath from infecting others, and 2) act as a symbol to people who do interact with them that they are sick and hands should be washed etc after the interaction is concluded.

3 Likes