The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijackingšŸ”« thread🧵 ⁉

Sounds like a bigger sleeping problem waiting to happen. Yeah no as I said I only use it when I realize it’s like 2AM and I really need to sleep now. I really don’t wanna mess with my sleep too much.

2 Likes

I’ve moved back to a bigger city recently, and now I’m finding a routine when people ask about my magnet implant when I’m fidgeting with bottle caps at the bar.
Use to be either that’s cool, or motb. Now though, I’m getting annoyed by answering the same question 3+ times for every person.
Q: Why do you have a magnet in your hand?
A: To feel electromagnetic fields around me.
Q: But why do you have the magnet in your hand?
A: To feel electromagnetic fields around me, like microwaves and such.
Q: Seriously though, why do you have a magnet in your hand? Did you do it on purpose?
A: Yes I got it on purpose, and it’s to give me a 7th sense of feeling electromagnetic fields around me.
Lol

This is good: a few months ago, I went for an MRI of my wrist, because I had some kind of stubborn sprain that wouldn’t go away.

Anyway, public health being slow, and another health problem taking precedence, I got zero news from the hospital about this, and the problem eventually went away. My wrist is now fine, and I had completely forgotten about it.

I got an email from the hand specialist today: I have an appointment at the hospital because he thinks he’s found the cause of the problem: the MRI reveals I have suspicious foreign bodies in my hand and wrist! He proposes a biopsy under general anaesthesia to figure out what it could possibly be. Maybe aliens!

I’m debating whether to string him along or politely remind him that, when I took the MRI 6 months ago, he and his staff called specialists around the country for a solid half hour to figure out whether it was safe.

7 Likes

I feel like once he knows you have foreign objects intentionally implanted in your hand / wrist… he’s going to just blame those… regardless of evidence

It’s too easy of a scapegoat

So I suggest you string him along

2 Likes

Happened to me twice now. How could I possibly have Bell’s Palsy from some other cause while I have a magnet in my ear?! It’s the only possible cause.

1 Like

In this case, it’s trivially easy to demonstrate the sprain was totally unrelated to any of my implants: I know exactly when and why it started, it started well after any of my implants in that area were put in, and it gradually stopped before the main possible culprit - the flexNExT - was removed. So no scapegoating possible.

Also, I find Finnish doctors rather curious and open-minded about implants, and not at all prone to baseless outright rejection. So I doubt he would try to put the blame on em if he had remembered (or written down in my patient file) that they were there. He could have done that 6 months ago when I told him.

Sadly, I also find them rather humorless. So perhaps I’ll just give him a call to clarify things…

2 Likes

Ok, that made me laugh…

And I thought that things were better in first world countries…

Maybe try to reply with something absurd, like ā€œwhat magnet? I’m using telekinesisā€ or something along those lines? Also, I would’ve never thought that someone would associate a magnet with the motb… Humans are weird.

1 Like

The grass is never greener

2 Likes

TBF, I’m getting the impression that scandinavia is similar to my country in many ways. Especially now with the russian situation. But at least I have sunlight…

1 Like

When it matters, they’re VERY quick. I danced with something a bit nastier than a wrist sprain recently and they didn’t waste no time. Matter of fact, it knocked me out so good that the forced rest is probably what cured my wrist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pff… We have 24h sunlight here now. Beat that!

1 Like

I’m not sure about my sunlight levels…
I only see it for about 30 minutes a day on my drive in

Everything is literally darkness

In other news my Dr recently strongly recommended I get in vitamin D supplements while awkwardly laughing

I wonder if it was related? :thinking:

3 Likes

When it finally reads 2.5 weeks later

giphy (3)

9 Likes

I know the feeling. Got my first read on my xM1 yesterday 1.5 weeks post-install. Hearing the reader beep was the most beautiful beep I’ve ever heard

3 Likes

For those who are interested, I am waiting for the tow truck driver to come and let me look for my wife’s glasses… But here is our jeep and the other car. The driver of the other car had some bruises and sprains…

4 Likes

That doesn’t look as bad as I expected for the jeep
But that could mean the frame took the impact

How’s the wife? And how did she get so banged up?

2 Likes

This is speculatory, but the forces inside the jeep could have been worse, due to the lack of crumpling.

The other car crumpled, absorbing most of the energy transferred to it. With the jeep being so rigid, a lot of that force would have been essentially passed on to the passengers.

5 Likes

That’s not even speculatory. The reason modern vehicles have crumple zones is because of how effective it is at elongating the impact time and absorbing a lot of the energy of the collision. That along with airbags seat belts, seat belt pretensioners, airbags, and a reinforced areas around the occupants to prevent intrusions all contribute to making a crash above 40mph significantly more survivable.

If you want to learn a little more about the beginning of crash safety I have a Wikipedia page for you. The guy that helped learn about the effectts of deceleration on the human body also held a land speed record and was rather ironically named John Stapp.

3 Likes

@zwack, I don’t know what your insurance situation is, especially with the driver being uninsured, but any insurance agent trying to settle with you WILL CHEAP OUT at EVERY CHANCE they get.

Be suspicious of Kelley Blue Book, or NADA prices. They’re averages over the last several years, and prices have shot through the roof lately. That won’t be reflected well in a multi year average.

Go in prepared. Find some examples of similarily outfitted jeeps that are for sale (currently for sale) and print them out for reference. Make notes on them. Like this one is cheaper but has more miles, or doesn’t have xxxx options. You’re gonna hafta haggle, and you’ll need examples for ammunition in that fight.

Basically, be prepared and don’t roll over for them.

4 Likes