The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

As a purely mental exercise yes. But as a meatbag, I hate the idea of losing the ability to touch someone. Preferably a cute someone with great smelling hair who likes to lean on me.

1 Like

I think that I accidentally made the local AI hornyā€¦ :robot_gundam:

Do note that youā€™d need to keep some sort of sense of touch to interact with the world, crushing things like water bottles and coffee cups would be extremely easy otherwise. At a minimum, you need to feel how much force your actuators are applying, and you can add load cells to increase the resolution in certain spots like the palms and fingertips.

Although, youā€™d probably lose some resolution when it comes to that sense.

And I would still prefer to be a block of metal despite the drawbacks.

1 Like

4 Likes

4 Likes

beard-men-with-beards

bird-beard-peter

2 Likes

The red and green very much reminds me / gives vibes of the ā€œKiwi Christmas Treeā€ ( Pohutakawa )
Obviously our Southern hemisphere Christmas is in Summer, and the Pohutakawa blooms from early December

This is what the flower looks like, and they are often seen near beaches, Which is where most Kiwiā€™s spend or Christmas holiday period

When I searched for pohutukawa lego, I got these

This is what they look like in real life

4 Likes

You just reminded me of the laser Kiwi flag.

But is it a 45C summer? At least weā€™re both in the southern hemisphere.

Ha, not even close.
Hottest will be around 30ā°C, But the average will be around 25ā°C

With humidity around 80%

Yeah, that was funny and stupid at the same time.

2 Likes

Speaking of Lego

Ill just leave this here

2 Likes

There was some talk about this back in the day about the UniFi Door Access Control system.

Thatā€™d be nice to have TBH

1. not really possible with Apex because you canā€™t deploy arbitrary code to Apex, only to flexSecure

2. emulating DESFire has a few different potential meaningsā€¦

3 Likes

From my understanding, the reader canā€™t check for keys it doesnā€™t know, right?
Which means, it can only check if an give application/file exists and is accessible with a key it knows.
And the AES/encryption part only applies to the communication with the reader and the keys, it canā€™t perform any active encryption as signing data for example.

So from my understanding, unless iā€™m wrong somewhere.
If we have access to the reader/firmware, we should be able to look what it checks for and replicate it on a fresh card.

That probably involves a lot of reverse engineering and possibly hardware hacking.

There are some nuance here. Typically the readers are just dumb gateways for moving data. The actual application sitting behind the reader, typically on some sort of controller board or maybe some software somewhereā€¦ Thatā€™s what figures out the keys and tells the reader what commands an APDUs to send to the card.

There are exceptions. HID classically has some of the key functions built into the reader hardware, and those have already been cracked for the most part.

Generally speaking, symmetric cryptographic protections like AES etc all have this type of vulnerability because the key must be known by both sides of the equation, ie the card and the reader / application. A stronger methodology is a smart card that can deal with public key crypto so that the private key is never given to the system in the first place. But thatā€™s not what weā€™re talking about here.

One of the ways that an access control system can work around the need to store all the potential card keys in a giant database somewhere is the use of a derivation function. Basically you feed in some data and it goes through various transforms, typically with some salt data mixed in, and what comes out is a derived key for a particular card. Basically the keys are calculated for each card using this function, which means the keys donā€™t need to be stored anywhere. Typically the UID of the card is used in some capacity in this derivation function because itā€™s something each card has which is unique. Not always though, sometimes some other method is used and some other uniquely identifying data is used.

In short, yes you will have to completely reverse engineer your access control system to figure out how it arrives at the required keys for a particular card. Not an easy task since this is exactly what vendors try to make as impossible as they can.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch the video above yet since I donā€™t have my headphones on me but In my case in particular at least, one of the systems I want to use it with is our own custom access control system called gatekeeper that I happen to be an administrator of (although Iā€™m kinda dumb), so I can enroll new cards, or look at internal workings given its all on github. I think we are using Desfire ev1 cards
The harder one is my college ID. Its ev2 and I donā€™t have direct access to fuck with whatever. I do have a friend in the colleges IT that is willing to help though.

As far as arbitrary code on the apex, I donā€™t know how far Iā€™ll get but I can reach out and try to get a developer account on fidesmo. Maybe I should try that first as it sounds like any further progress requires that to be successful.

I just realized TEDx is the opposite of Twitter.
In one people do long passionate talks about things they care about, in the other people make short sarcastic remarks about things they hate.

4 Likes

TEDx

8 Likes

@enginerd
I saw this and thought of you

:robot_gundam:

3 Likes

came across this, absolutely hilarious, and never mention the implant ā€¦

Screenshot 2023-12-11 154637

2 Likes

I can tell that you know me rather well.

1 Like

That reminds me of this transformer I saw at a gas station yesterday morning. Made from car parts I think.
Rockin a couple KC Chiefs flags, but painted vikings purple :confused:

2 Likes