The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

you arenā€™t paranoid if they really are out to get you

1 Like

The link part of Neuralink is great. But all the data will be processed by Google.

Iā€™ll never let Musk anywhere near my skull.

1 Like

Iā€™m torn, the analogy they used of being able to play Starcraft with your mind

THAT is the future I want,

But along with it comes the possibility of misuse

I honestly donā€™t want the ā€œthought barrierā€ to be brokenā€¦ it will be far to great a temptation, and then we get black mirror episodes

I would Happily full stop at a fluid mental mouse and keyboard

2 Likes

Iā€™m a gluttonā€¦ I want an implanted Echo-like neural device with full network connectionā€¦ an Echo I can just think toā€¦ My thoughts arenā€™t all that deep, they can keep them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™d only be worried about being put on a watch list from my intrusive thoughts :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I feel like without cooperation, a device like neurolink wouldnā€™t work. I think we would really need to allow ourselves to push and pull information through it. As for data collection? It would be with what we do when the device is on and in use, we already give that kind of data away on a daily basis.

2 Likes

I found the neuralink demo pretty underwhelming. I know itā€™s very early days still but I was expecting a little bit more

2 Likes

They are making great development of the hardware

But like I said, translating electrodes into meaningful data will take a lot of work

2 Likes

I found it incredible myself. It didnā€™t live up to the hype, but hype aside, what they demonstrated was pretty fabulous.

Itā€™s easy to lose oneā€™s sense of wonder. I remember working on early voice recognition in the late 80ā€™s. It was very primitive and mostly non-functional, just to recognize 10 spoken digits. Automated computer vision mail sorting back then, same thing. And the first automatic driving vehicle prototypes from MIT: tons of computer equipment in a van, 1 mph max, and it couldnā€™t even complete a closed circuit route.

Today we have cellphones that can translate dictated text, cameras that recognize faces and cars that everybody can buy that drive themselvesā€¦ and everybody takes all of that for granted. But if you think about it, itā€™s all completely and utterly extraordinary.

The Neuralink pigs were nothing short of amazing, if only because the whole show looked so mundane and matter-of-factly.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that the only pig with a chip was like ā€œfuck you Iā€™m having fun in my cageā€

3 Likes

Anyone up? Having a snag

I decided I wouldā€¦ for the sake of why not

Try to clone the work badge to my xEM chip not my next, since the xEM is slightly closer to the skin

Hail Mary I guess

Well the xEM doesnā€™t seem to want to take the clone command

Hw tune
Lf search
Good read on chip
Send clone command
Looks good
Lf search and itā€™s still the old em ID

Is
Lf t55xx wipe
Safe? I know if will clear the data, but donā€™t want to brickā€¦ figure something isnā€™t clearing correctly

Editā€¦ well it got confusing
I was getting a good coupleā€¦ it was confirming it was a t55xx chip but wipe was working

Then it finally didā€¦

And then I got the clone to work

W/e lol

3 Likes

I feel thatā€™s like saying ā€œitā€™s amazing how far weā€™ve come since stone toolsā€. The pace of advancement has definitely increased rapidly, but every advanced is an incremental step built on the compounding advancements of the past. They can only make a neuralink because of decades of EEG research and consumer electronics development. Very little of what theyā€™re creating is novel, itā€™s just the scale and the form factor. I kind of expected with as much money as they have and some of the best minds available, they would be making more strides than halting steps. Itā€™s been 4 years.

I totally understand any delays caused by regulatory hurdles though. Thatā€™s just a slow system because of corruption and lack of funding

1 Like

The difference is, nobody alive remembers stone tools. But technology nowadays improves so fast there are reasonably young folks out there who can compare and be dazzled by todayā€™s stuff. The cavemen too would have been properly fascinated by steel tools if they had witnessed the evolution from flints to copper, bronze and iron within half a lifetime.

I feel like it didnā€™t really show anything that hasnā€™t already been done before. The one demo pig had it placed over one specific sensorimotor area of the brain which raised more questions like (yes itā€™s early days but) how many of these will a human need? one? more?

I think the form factor was probably the most impressive thing shown but I also wonder how long they currently last in the brainā€™s corrosive environment. I remember him saying years ago that it would also be available to the general population before people with disabilities, so I kinda wonder what their pathway looks like.

Again, I know itā€™s very early days, it was a very simple demo and itā€™s an extremely ambitious project (and Iā€™m glad someone is doing something outside of the government) but it seemed to raise a lot more questions than it answered.

1 Like

I was honestly expecting Elon to pull a stunt and have it in vivo in a human. I was honestly concerned that heā€™d try for publicity with it. Iā€™m actually kinda happy with how it went and Iā€™m super excited seeing what it can do!
Imagine everything already possible with itā€™s current function! You can do so much with only one ā€œbuttonā€ to be honest. With 2, you expand the possibilities even more. Imagine the applications of one brain activated button. You can use external hardware (or your phone) to geofence your house. When you enter the area, one button press opens your garage door or unlocks your house! 2 buttons means booleans! That plus eye tracking means you can activate or deactivate with a glance and thought.
The predictive positioning model shown on the pig could be used to diagnose degenerative diseases like arthritis early by noticing deviations from normal movement! I think that even basic bci has way more use than itā€™s given credit. Now, neuralink is supposed to have full keyboard and mouse utility! All the buttons!

I could imagine that it will at one point maybe become a everyday thing? Sorta like smartphones maybe
Once the apprehension against implants wears off
But then someone will have the bright idea to use it to inject ads into your visual cortex :sweat_smile:
What a dystopian hellscape

If you have a TV and you watch it, thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s happening right now.

4 Likes

I donā€™t, and Iā€™m a happy user of adblockers :slight_smile:
Also, you can turn off the TV - I would imagine it will probably be quite hard to disable an implant wired into your brain
I could also imagine it being like the Amazon Kindle with ā€œspecial promotionsā€ - they sell you the Kindle for a lower price, but you have to have ads on the screensaver.

1 Like

I have a PiHole set up that does some basic network wide ad and telemetry blocking. I route all my devices through my home network when Iā€™m out and about as well.

1 Like

I dunno if it interests anyone, but hereā€™s a teardown of the new PS5 controllerā€™s adaptive triggers; (timestamped)

Simple little idea really, changing the tension through the spiral motor but initial reports say it is absolutely amazing. Iā€™m pretty hype to feel it myself. Interesting bit of tech, particularly how people are reporting the distinct difference of ā€œfeelingā€ when walking on or hitting different materials like sand, metal, glass etc.

Theyā€™ve switched out vibration haptics for Linear Resonant Actuators which is fucking cool.

3 Likes