The best post of 2020 so far šŸ†

Early voting looks evenly split. I guess that means we got a lot of top-notch posting going on in the forum

What poll?

1 Like

Looks like we have a clear favorite for runner up, but if you havenā€™t voted yet, itā€™s a toss-up for THE BEST.

Submarine, cā€™mon. Obviously.

1 Like

Now that 2020 is over (thank God) I thought itā€™d be a good idea to announce the results.

Looks like a tie for the best post, with 5 votes each for #4 and #12.

BUTā€¦ Runner up has a clear favorite with 6 votes for #11.

Congrats to all, and it looks like Pilgrimaster has 2021 up and running already.

1 Like

Sadly, I must disqualify entry #12 on grounds the joke does not work with the actual correct pronunciation of my name. Therefore I crown myself winner of the best post of 2020!

tenor (13)

3 Likes

WOO HOO!!!

2 Likes

Iā€™m a fair king though. You will receive a prize.

I object! :point_up:

Reason 1: The ā€˜Phonetic Inconsistency of the English Languageā€™.
Reason 2: This ambiguity of pronunciation adds further value to the joke,
leads the reader to the 'Experience of Understanding.

Please consider my appeal!
*ā€¦dial is turning, Atillaā€™s posts disapearing from the forum, so as Atillaā€¦aaaw :scream: *

1 Like

gif

tenor (14)

XK9D8Pl

Fine. #12 wins.

anigif_enhanced-1427-1572553938-1

Congratulations @Locutus

5 Likes

May I ask how your name is pronounced? It must be one of:

1. /ĖˆĆ¦məl/
  2. /ĖˆeÉŖ.məl/
  3. /əĖˆmɔĖl/

(IPA reader thingy here -> http://ipa-reader.xyz/. Copy/paste the above in the form, the damn thing wonā€™t let me create a clickable link)

The variant that works with the joke is #3. I donā€™t recall you pronouncing it specifically, but Iā€™ve heard everybody else pronounce it that way. Thatā€™s why the joke worked for all of us I think.

Unless of course youā€™ve suddenly decided itā€™s pronounce another way to win Best Post 2020 :slight_smile:

1. ĖˆeÉŖ.məl

Ref.

I even tried Rueben [Dutch] Pronunciation

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m most impressed with: Amal seeing the Juan joke and holding his tongue until now to win the contest, or you instantly coming up with the one bit of Youtube video in which he speaks his name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

Compare: ā€˜ghotiā€™ as an alternate spelling of the word fish

1 Like

@Locutus, do you do any soldering or bench work?

Iā€™m a beginner to it but Iā€™ve done a ham radio kit, some Christmas light controllers and am learning to use the arduino.

coolioā€¦ DM coming shortlyā€¦

Oo super secret project incoming :slight_smile: have fun :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes