The doNExT is in

Lassi was very pro, very friendly, and it all went smoothly. He did the doNExT in my right arm, the flexM1 in my left hand, and we agreed not to do the flexM1 in my butt in the end, because the location seems unsafe to both of us for different reasons.

He put the doNExT in straight (with the two front LEDs in a line perpendicular to my arm) but as you can see, it’s already rotated some 10 degrees counterclockwise. I’ve only had it for a couple hours :slight_smile: Good thing I don’t really care, but I expect the thing to spin some more - quite a lot more - soon. I plan on documenting that in this thread, so stay tuned.

A couple of interesting comments:

• He had a much easier time working the implant in thanks to the hole in the center. Also, he said it’ll help a lot with swelling if the fascia layer can reconnect through the center hole, and that it was a really really good idea. He said all the other implants he’s done (not RFID) that had holes through them fared better than other implants. So I’m pretty pleased with that particular choice.

• Interesting side effect of COVID-19: apparently there’s a worldwide shortage of sterile nitrile gloves for non-medical customers, and it might affect his business soon. I’m glad I managed to get mine done before it happens - if it happens.

One side note about the flexM1: its performances are terrible. It barely registers on my cellphone (worse than my glass implant), and it doesn’t read any better than the glass implant on my front door lock.

I had hoped for better performances, but my hopes weren’t very high, because I wasn’t terribly impressed with the performances when it was still in the packaging, and I wasn’t terribly impressed by the performances reported by other flexM1 wearers either (although they seem happy).

Now that it’s in my hand, my fears are confirmed. And since my hand hasn’t swelled up at all, I doubt it’ll get any better. Oh well… Now it’s in, time will tell I guess.

EDIT: the chip has moved considerably. I was looking for it at the wrong place. It turns out to be okay. Not great, but okay. Certainly more in line with what I expected from it.

10 Likes

Do those have a ferrite core?

Could you tug it back into place with a magnet before it heals?

I had a feeling this would be the case for a FlexNExT with a hole in it. Awesome. Is your DoNExT just a custom FlexNExT request from Amal? If so, when I’m ready to get my FlexNExT, I’ll probably ask for something similar.

Is a doNExT just a flexNExT with a hole in it? I was wondering what that was Everytime I heard and assumed it was a typo or another name for it

It’s a flexNExT with the LF chip in the middle replaced by a hole. It should be called a flexNT really, but the flexNT is already a thing. So I called it the doNExT because it looks like a donut, and it says flexNExT on the box :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a reason to do this over a normal flexNT?

Range and blinky?

I suppose the blinky is true and pretty cool but wouldn’t range be pretty similar?

Ohh, I see. I’m curious to know how the preforms opposed to the standard FlexNExT with both chips. I figured something would’ve had to have been removed to pull off that design!

Rosco I can’t find the images, could you share how it looked packaged?

Pretty sure, from the description it looked like this, and the colourful bits are the LEDs

2 Likes

This one must have been the prototype :doughnut:

FYI Here’s the link to the specific post :mailbox:

2 Likes

I feel like you guys getting these need to get a companion tattoo https://www.instagram.com/p/CEooPiGjqf2/?igshid=16hdbc4hhqrpb

3 Likes

The blinkies light up way before the chip registers on the reader.

I couldn’t say, I only have one :slight_smile: But I expect it’s pretty similar.

Yep, that’s the one. It’s not so much a prototype as a custom order. I’m not certain Amal would want to add it in his product lineup: I understand he had to sweat a bit to make it.

Yeah sorry, that was just a followup to my dumb doughnut joke

Oh yeah, I didn’t see the donut emoji next to it.

I’m taking that partially back: the chip is in fact not at all where it was installed. It’s slipped a good half inch back towards the entry point, and it’s backed up so much it’s passed under the stitch apparently. In fact, it’s now unconfortably close to the wrist joint. Also, if I push on it, it makes a strange gurgling sound.

Anyway, the range isn’t great, but when I scan it exactly over the sweet spot, it’s a bit better than my glass implant. I still have to search the sweet spot for a while though.

If you can slip it back, I would put a pressure wrap on starting at the incision point. Might keep it from slipping back forward?*

• I am not a doctor, that is not medical advice, but an idea.
1 Like

I tried it. It ain’t moving. I think the pocket was too small to begin with, because Lassi seemed to have a lot of trouble fitting it all in. It was probably just long enough when he installed it, and now it’s possibly shrunk some.

Anyway, it’s not hitting anything it shouldn’t hit (yet) and it’s not coming out. So I’ll just leave it be and see how it turns out.

1 Like

See updated post below