The doNExT is in

Mmmmmm Pancakes :pancakes:

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, I rechecked the blinkies, and 2 of the 3 are dead. One more and the doNExT will truly become a brick :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

While I’m definitely still pretty sorry that your flexy turned out the way it did (as well as those of all others), I’m a tiny bit happy that I will forever have a flexNExT with three working blinkies :stuck_out_tongue:
How are your current replacement plans? Any chance to work together with Lassi currently, or are your studios locked up as well?

2 Likes

No lockdown here. But I haven’t even called Lassi because I’m waiting for 4 things:

• Early “big” flexMN adopters to confirm that the read range is good and the chip isn’t sketchy. I’m totally unconvinced by this guy, so I’m gonna let others play guinea pig this time

• Hopefully by the time I’m convinced, Amal will have found a reliable solution to the blinkies problem

• My bus card conversion, if it’s doable - and if my chip is ever shat out the constipated USPS bowels and makes it to Amal

• Amal’s giant FDX glassie (still waiting for an invoice for this one Amal hint hint :slight_smile:)

When I have everything I need to implant, then I’ll call Lassie. I don’t expect any of this to happen anytime soon though.

I think he was just including them in your next order, I have a couple put aside also

Nobody works for free. Amal should get paid.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any evidence to support that theory :joy:

I looked for the original video for this

it says its lithium ion, I run lifepo4 off grid, can you send the link for the original? I’ve looked for years to find a real video of thermal runway and fire, the only thing I ever found was a car that caught fire but no real proof the battery was at fault, I’m not saying that a lifepo4 is safe in a body, just should not catch fire.

I’m still jumping back and forth on if im getting mine back in.

The original one? Or did you get a replacement? I kinda lost track a little about all those flexes :wink:

The main issue is not even the fire.

Batteries will at some point need to vent, the biocompatible resin/polymer would prevent that from happening.

Thus pressure would build.

Hence ensuing :exploding_head:

1 Like

no replacement, it’s fully functional for now. just need to get it recleaned and make a decision on if i want to go through with it again + if my wallet can take the hit.

still a lot of dead skin keeping a bump on my hands, some have said they keep thinking it’s still in there XD

Ah, I forgot that yours was based on the flexMT, so it should not face the same technical problems as the flexNExT (except for maybe the blinkies).

How re-cleanable are those biopolymer implants? Mine was in an infected wound, so, no matter how long I soak it in chlorhexidine or whatever, I would not implant it again… I would be too afraid that during the removal process, some little “scratches” or whatever happened and bacteria could happily settle somewhere I can’t reach them.
But that’s just my personal, overcautious thinking - if you feel good with re-installing it, and if you can assess the risks, it might be worth a try :wink:

Though that one worries me a bit - it’s been quite a time since you got your flexie out, I think it should have settled by now… did you let a doctor or bodmod artist check that? :thinking:

dunno, but amal said he could do it.

Doctor seemed not to really care, didn’t get bloods for it, hasn’t asked me about it in the many times I’ve seen him since, and brushed off the idea of any antibiotic cream. It’s slowly going down i think and it doesn’t hurt, lets just see how it goes

EO gas or H2O2 plasma are your only options if you don’t go chlorhexidine… but I can tell you that chlorhexidine in an ultrasound bath at 80C for 30 minutes will do a great job on things even if there are tiny surface imperfections that bacteria have hidden out in. Of course it’s not as good as EO gas or plasma sterilization, but it’s accessible and cheap comparatively.

The beast has awoken again.

About 3 weeks ago, I did some very heavy physical work for 3 days. I ended up with somewhat severe pain in both my wrists - some kind of tendinitis - that took a week to clear in my left arm with rest, but didn’t in my right arm. In fact, it’s been getting worse, and now I have pain shooting up and down my arm, from my shoulder to my fingers. And since this morning, the doNExT’s pocket is slowly filling up with fluid again :frowning:

I’m pretty sure the tendons under the implant got swollen because of the strain when I did the construction work, and now the implant is keep them inflamed with the tendons chaffing on its edge in everyday movements. I tried complete rest with a splint last week-end, and it helped some, but the week-end wasn’t long enough apparently. And I can’t possibly stay with my arm in a splint for a week: I got stuff to do at work, and it’s late.

What a bitch. That thing really needs to come off. I’m sick and tired of it…

Man that sucks. I don’t think implants that large are really all that viable anymore. The VivoKey prototype that came out of my arm was also a bit too large I think… once in a while my kids would grab my arm while trying to climb on me and it would definitely pinch.

The Apex Mega size is going to be limited to 25mm maximum diameter. Significantly smaller than the 38mm diameter prototype. At this size I think it’s possible to get significant performance without much tissue irritation long term. Practicality of keeping it in your body is more important than performance imo.

4 Likes

Well if you say so. I’m hoping it will read through my wrist but now I doubt it.

The flexNExT is just a hair too large because one of the edges rides up and down one of my tendons. if it was just 3 or 4 mm smaller in diameter it’d be perfect. For me of course - everybody is different. And if it still worked of course too…

Whatever you do, do it quick so I can replace it. It’s getting tiring :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had a FlexMT, although the performance was amazing, I decided not to install it because I felt my wrist was too small to fit without causing irritation.

I never wanted to install on the back of my hand because of the same reasons you had mentioned and unfortunately experienced.

This was all of course, my uneducated assumption, and every BODY is different.

I totally agree with this statement.

It is still pioneering at its finest, and I appreciate Amal and the community for pushing the boundaries so we can all learn.

DANGEROUS THINGS | Pioneering Tomorrows Technology Today ™

3 Likes