The doNExT is in

How long did it stay in? I’ve always thought it was a stunt - as in, they put the device in, shot a picture, and got it out not too long afterward.

Just a heads up because you mentioned this before. Parylene is vapor deposited in a huge apparatus. You can selectively coat only sections of a target using a masking jig, but it doesn’t get spackled on in your workshop. The caps you’re used to on the end of some pet chips is actually biobond, which is a different material than parylene.

You should contact him, I’m curious to see what it looked like too, or maybe how it looks now.

Got mine in for about 3 months now, and I’m not planning to remove it :wink: Buuuut when I had my consultation, a few weeks before I finally got it, my artist told me of the possible removal as well - seems to be no problem at all. The silicone doesn’t stick to the skin, and the pocket heals up fine afterwards. In fact, he did a removal not so long ago, and the customer was all fine. But to be honest, those things rarely get removed, I think… They heal up fine and make no trouble, so, why remove them? :smiley:
The microdermals I had (some sort of pocket, too…) healed up completely fine and just left three tiny scars.

That’s insane… I wouldn’t think it would start to turn again, so maybe it just hasn’t found the “right spot” yet? Would explain some of the trouble you currently have…
Like I said, mine has some fluid buildup from time to time, but as of now, it stays in its place…

Yeah, that baby was fun… the corners make me seriously nervous, that’s not good for the skin… but he wore it for quite some time, if I remember correctly…
Anyone here who has experience with the northstar? Sorry, don’t want to derail, just came to my mind…^^

I think it’s sloshing around in fluid. When I posted that, it had turned 10 degrees counterclockwise. I’ve just rechecked and it’s back to where it had settled.

The fluid buildup is quite minimal really. What gets me is, why now? It’s been dry as a bone for 10 days, and suddenly it started to fill up.

Also, I’m concerned by that hard bit of whatever-it-is between the skin and the implant. That thing wasn’t there yesterday…

Other than that, the scar is healing up nicely. No sign of infection or inflammation or anything. Just a bit of fluid and the mysterious bit of flesh.

On a side note, the blinkies are quite useful to assess the amount of fluid above the implant: when there’s liquid on top, there’s a distinctive halo around the LEDs. I don’t even need to touch it to know: I just get my cellphone and check it visually.

Is there anything DT hardware can’t do really? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Payment :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

What, you mean you haven’t bought your Apex yet? Dude, you really need to stay more on top of thing :slight_smile:

On another side note: I have a feeling that the compression bandage will do a lot of good for the final outcome of the scar. It’s really smoothed and flattened it out these past 24 hours. I never thought about that before, but it looks like applying it early during scar healing helps a lot aesthetically. Maybe that’s a good piece of knowledge I’ll have learned because of the fluid buildup.

He had it for several months as I recall… but he removed it because the battery cell began to balloon up and was close to rupture. This is one of many issues with hermetically sealed implants and battery cells. Offgassing is extremely difficult to eliminate, and any offgassing at all has nowhere to go. Rupture is the eventual outcome for most rechargable cell chemistries in a sealed environment.

Oh wow, several months… That’s the distorted reality you get when you only see a couple of photos: it really left me with the impression that it had been a stunt. I stand corrected.

And yes, in the photo of the device after removal, the first thing I thought was “Uh oh, I’d stick that thing outside of the house if I were them because the battery looks ready to burst like a bally balloon”.

I’m feeling around the implant, and I can feel unevenness all around it now!

I think I know what’s going on: my body is encasing the foreign object. That must be what that hard thing is!

Hell, I have to derail a little bit on that again - any idea how grindhouse wants to solve that with the northstar v2? It’s rechargeable, it’s implantable, and I’m getting slightly nervous about what you wrote…^^

So it rotated a bit counter-clockwise and than it rotated the same bit back again? That’s really strange…

Not quite back to where it had settled. Maybe a couple of degrees out. But yeah, that’s pretty much what happened. Really odd.

I’ve been talking with Cyberlass and 24hr Engineer and they sound like they’re just going to minimize the strain on the battery and deal with the fact that it might need to be replaced a few months/years later. The new bioresin they’re using is extremely durable and there’s a pressure sensor on the board so they’ll probably just throw up a warning over Bluetooth once the pressure buildup becomes unsafe.

Rechargeable lithium ion will always have that issue. The only ways to deal with it for good is to use other battery chemistries or never recharge it. That’s what they do with pacemakers with the lithium Iodide batteries. One time use with minimal current draw.

1 Like

or implant a humongous capacitive storage device made only of paper or mica caps :slight_smile:

Okay, that sounds “fine” to me… or, at least, it calms me down^^
But to replace it… mh. Would really depend on the timeframe - replacing a massive, not-so-small implant (so, having a not-so-small suture every time) is not exactly what I like to do. If we’re talking about years, okaaaay(ish), but months? That would be really hard…
But thanks a lot for your info’s! There is not much to find on the web about the v2, sadly… (or, I’m just a bit blind? Dunno…)

If you’re really concerned, have an implant made with a solid-state battery. It’s only $5,000 per Ah :slight_smile:

1 Like

This sounds great, and I’m willing to spend stupid amounts on bodymods… but… no :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s just a blind guess, but maybe it’s just some coagulated blood after you damaged the healing process by cycling :sweat_smile:
I don’t know tho if it even could coagulate while inside the body and with the fluid around it.

No: it’s very definitely fibrous tissue. The pocket is totally dry now, and I can feel the tissue grow almost by the hour. Seriously!

There’s that single blob that’s a bit bigger than the rest, but there’s some over 9/10th of the implant now. I can feel it quite clearly. And the hole in the middle of the doNExT is now filled with the same hard tissue: I can’t feel the hole at all anymore, just a very stiff, slightly uneven mass of tissue, that feel continuous with the fibrous tissue over the implant proper.

The only two bits of the implant that aren’t encased at all (yet?) are the two edges left and right of my arm - the ones that move and dig into my skin when I rotate my wrist.

All this makes a slightly raised bump over my forearm the size of the implant. It’s almost as big as a very thin watch. It is a bit unsightly if I’m honest, but only noticeable if I look at my arm sideways. I’ll take a picture tomorrow.

In short: the implant is getting encased pretty thoroughly. My body is reacting a lot more strongly than I expected, and all of the sudden, at a stage of the healing process I expected even less. If I ever have to get that one out, it’s gonna be a doozy: is sure won’t be coming out without a fight.

I wonder if the hole in the middle of the doNExT has triggered this. To my knowledge, no other flexNExT wearer has had this type of reaction. Any of you guys care to pitch in?

As a plus, now that the fluid buildup issue seems to have cleared up, the feeling over half of the implant has returned to normal (pre-installation levels) and maybe 50% over the other half.