The flexNExT is now in limited release!

… … . wooooww… that’s… wow…

IncomparableAbleDiamondbackrattlesnake-max-1mb

Ok, I think the resin topper will offer adequate protection for the ntag216 chip.

The PET layer must be picked off and rolled back by hand, then the resin is poured and vibrated to sort out bubbles and ensure good infiltration around the chip… then curing, then the rest is as normal. I think this will probably spell the end of the flexNExT as it exists today… it’s just a lot of work at this point and it’ll probably move squarely into the custom work realm for probably a higher price… get 'em while they’re hot I guess.

3 Likes

FWIW, it mine fails and I need an upgraded replacement, I’ll happily pay the delta. Nobody works for free…

1 Like

So how much time will I have to buy one at its current price?

That’s nice… I don’t think that would be necessary though… warrantys cover model improvements :wink:

Until I get annoyed enough to remove it from the store hahah

2 Likes

That’s not how most industries work usually :slight_smile: Warranties normally cover the same model or similar.

But I’ll tell you what: with any luck, I won’t need to hit you with a claim. That’s be a lot better for the both of us.

2 Likes

Let’s hope that isn’t before January then :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Just for you, it won’t be :wink:

1 Like

That answer is even more universal than 42.

4 Likes

Does this mean that all newer ones will be made with this new process?

So it might be available even after its gone from the lab? I’d be interested in seeing how this reinforced one goes… - any chance we could get some testing like you did on the original?

yeah i think that’s going to be the case… we may still have some in inventory and i will probably have to yank those… but the idea is that new orders will get the updated treatment

2 Likes

yeah i will do some testing soon and post, but extreme bends are out of the question now because the excess leverage created by the hard adhesive overtop now becomes detrimental to the chip not helpful, under those circumstances. In the body the maximum flex angle can’t be all that extreme due to the bones and tissue under the chip… so we can emulate some of that in the lab and see how it works out… but literally folding it in half and abusing it like i did in the previous video is not going to fly now.

Not testing stuff but just a little update… the resin used to protect the chip and LED passive components seems to be working well enough during the encapsulation process, and it has an added benefit that it sort of acts like a light pipe with lensing effect, spreading the LED output across a wider angle.

1 Like

They sure look pretty. Next step - can you fuse one to my skin so I can see it on the outside? :joy:

3 Likes

Happy accidents

3 Likes

well first my leds went out and now im not getting any read from the ntag any more, my t5577 is still going strong tho

Yikes. I’m hopeful the FlexMN lasts way longer (preferably for life :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

at this point i have doubts about my resin based mitigation for the LEDs … but the chips (magic ntag & t5577) should last a heck of a long time

Speaking of LEDs, any progress on this great device? I’d love one of those on my flexMN. Not likely, but… never know.