The official Titan crowdfunding campaign thread

Oh I have plenty of reminders set up on my phone for the next few days so I won’t forget. I’ll probably wait until the last day to get one. I want to do more research on my day off tomorrow.

We’re still just stepping into the woods over here on all this… no I legitimately have no idea. Once the campaign ends we will still have several weeks until we even have an update on titanium shell production and first welds.

Definitely check the campaign page for details here. Magnets go to shit for 4 reasons; extreme heat, physical impact, extreme opposing field exposure, and corrosion. When it comes to magnet implants, it’s very likely to be corrosion causing significant field strength loss.

1 Like

Damn, I just checked the estimated timeline - didn’t have it on my mind, and I just thought it would be great if I could get it implanted on 12th of december… because I got my flexNExT in on 08/08 and my scarification on 10/10, so getting the magnet on 12/12 would make the perfect logical next step :smile:

4 Likes

I’m just hoping that this isn’t the last of them! I really wanted to get in on the crowdfunding but it’s not likely I’ll have the extra cash for it. I really had to stop myself from taking out a small loan lmao! I’m crossing my fingers!

1 Like
Disclaimer: 
If anybody knows about this topic better than I do please feel free to correct me!

Fist of all, you are right!
However you can control for this loss of magnetivity quite well.
Neodymium magnest can be treated pretty much just as ferromagnets are treated. The technology is called ‘ageing’. Ne and B are super additives and they are blended in the ferrite mixture that is powder forged.
Once your magnet is forged you heat treat it (yes, I know about Curie point, but this temperature is below CT!) for a short burst of time, so the strength drops down to about 80%. Almost like UHT milk…
Without heat treatment your magnet is good for nothing but door wedge in about 3-5 years.
The treated magnets, however are keeping their remanence magnetic strength pretty well.
They still use a few percent, but it’s nothing like the half-life of the untreated magnets.
So technically speaking it is not an issue we need to worry about.

2 Likes

Me being my usual overthinking self, I 3D printed a model to get a proper understanding of the Titan’s size:

It’s nice and small, but a little thicker than I thought… might be interesting to try and fit it in my small fingers!

4 Likes

What other locations apart from fingertips / pads are good for sensing? Does knife edge work well / at all?

why did i think it was rectangular

I did similar, cut off a matching size piece of a rubber of a pencil.
…I’m glad I’m not the only one :crazy_face:

2 Likes

From the product page:

I must say, the CAD drawing does make it seem like it’s rectangular

:joy: what did you think of the size? Hopefully you have bigger fingers than I do

No finger for me.
I read awful lot of stories about discomfort in finger.
I go with L5.
I am also wondering about the same placement then my other magnet is.
See red spot below:

But since I’m curious as F, I think I gonna go with L5.

Edit: Not a lot of info out there about magnet in L5, there is one way to try…

1 Like

69, and counting.

:o 76 doesn’t seem so far away now

I’m curious: how does 33,300 happen? My trusty calculator says (65 x 500) + (4 x 300) = 33,700.

Something tells me someone smoked a celebratory Davidoff Oro Blanco :slight_smile:

This might explain it.

Also.
Backers: 58
Titans backed: 71
Raised: $34,300.00
The campaign will end in 3 days, 4 hours, 32 minutes, 56 seconds

63 x 500 = 31,500
6 x 300 = 1,800

33,300 :blush:

EDIT: add another two (71 total) = 34,300

1 Like

I didn’t realize there were 6 superdiscounts. I thought only 4.
No cigar then :slight_smile:

EDIT: come to think of it, Amal is under no obligation to disclose the superdiscounts. So why not :slight_smile:

Not sure where I should start. So much I am wondering or even worrying about…

I understand all your points here and that it’s not easy to find a professional these days, but I am a professional and I know how easy you can make a serious damage to important nerves. Okay it’s your own body, but this type of nerve damage is (mostly) irreversible!! You could in worst case end up with a useless finger (then you’ll definitely need a professional…)

Everything has a expiry date. Also my self made stuff that I get plasma sterilized from a big factory has these dates on it. (It’s mostly sterile for about one year with plasma) But the good thing with the Titan is, it comes in this sterile pouch and if I remember correctly it will be sealed in another bag for shipping. This second sealed bag around the sterile pouch will protect it for even a few years more, if it remains closed. Otherwise your Installer might decide about sanitizing it before the implantation.

Lifetime guarantee + free replacement…what do you want more??? Go for it as long as there is a chance to get one!!!

Not very good for sensing. I think you would be very disappointed…

I’m a surgeon and I have one magnet in my fingertip (non dominant hand) you will have about 99% no discomfort if it’s done properly and after it’s fully healed. (In my count the 1% is mostly caused by people who don’t know how to properly install such implants in this sensitive location…)

My opinion: it would be wasting 500$ and wasting the real abilities of the Titan…
My cousin had a Haworth sensing magnet on this spot he was very disappointed. He ended up cutting it out and did another one in the fingertip, he said that was his best choice ever. Since the Titan is very small, go for fingertip, not for “dead flesh” near L5. I call it dead flesh because you will not get any good connection to nerves in the area. Even lifting looks kinda weird with this spot…

4 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: a magnet implant comes with too many strings attached for me. I want one because… well, how more ubercool can it be. But I know it’s a bad idea - for me anyway.

2 Likes