There will be blood shirt

As with the “Stranger Things”

This new one is a play on “There will be blood” , hence the font choice.

1 Like

oh yeah sorry i didn’t make that clear… and I guess the font is exactly that which was used on the movie cover. All the references I saw to it used a different font, but this one I grabbed off a freelancer site who posted it on an open forum… obviously he just nabbed it off whatever movie cover that is… huh so we could get sued :slight_smile: hahah

but yes the idea is that it is borrowing from the movie title… I have used this in my talks before and even in the needle video (at 12 seconds)…

Anyway this is the idea…

1 Like

I am not sure how USA laws work.
That font looks similar to “Old English” to me
and the sentence “There will be blood” is used in many places.
Can somebody actually Copyright a combination of font and sentence? :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

not sure but let’s roll with it… if they send me a letter about it I’ll give em $20.

2 Likes

They can trademark it, and they can own a copyright in the typesetting. So you can either change the wording, or typeset it in a very similar font. Unless you are trying to pass Dangerous Things off as the movie it probably isn’t an issue.

As for the movie, I am afraid that one passed me by, and I suspect the same is true of others given how many commented on not liking the font.

All true… I think this shirt is going to be a limited one-off run? Maybe? Dunno just trying things out at this point.

If you want to be able to easily state that it is not infringing any potential trademarks or copyright just get the font RM Albion and type the text in to a document (or graphic) using that font.

It isn’t exactly the same font but it is close enough that I doubt people will notice unless they see them both side by side.

If you want something even closer try

The closer you get the harder it is to prove that you didn’t just lift it from the film poster though.

1 Like

Awesome pop me down for 5xl :slight_smile:

Copyright and trademark are 2 different things.
Copyright is… the right to copy. You acquire the right in the moment of creation. Generated automatically. You have to actively opt out from it in order to not have it (publish as public domain)
Trademark has similar properties but the principal is different. Has to be recognised. You have to register it.

You have copyright over a font you create.
You might copyright a sentence. (T&C’s)
You can trademark a sentence. (Just do it, for xmpl)
You can not trademark fonts, only a specific sequence of it. You can include the font in the registration of a trademark when :tm: a sentence.

Disclaimer, no expert, and don’t take the post above as legal text. Just typing on my phone…

As far as I understand it you are correct.

My point was that the title of a film could be trademarked, and the specific font and wording even more so. There will also be copyright in the movie poster design, including the specific, distinctive words and font used for the title.

Some things cannot be copyrighted like lists of public information. For example a phone directory. But the typographic style used in publishing them can be. So if you re set the phone directory you are safe but if you copy the pages you aren’t.

Trademarks are specific to an industry too so princes can be a trademark for both tennis rackets and meat spread as you are unlikely to confuse the two.

Not exactly… I mean, you can make up a case for that, but you really have to twist the law around.
Generally speaking there is a method or formula behind the trademark. for ex.: Dolby Digital :tm:

:monorail:
I think the font is :metal:

I was thinking, I heard the quote in an other movie (SAW) couldn’T reme,ber in which one, I checked google:

SAW 2, and the quote was very similar: “Oh Yes, There Will Be Blood”

1 Like

Have you thought of having the DT logo on front, perhaps even with “Dangerous Things” written, and ‘There Will Be Blood’ on the back of the shirt?

2 Likes

Not voting because I don’t wear t-shirts, but it’s cool as hell.

1 Like

Would it be appropriate outfit for blood donation? :thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’m sure that’d make a very interesting impression :rofl: - pity I nearly faint around needles or I’d consider trying it

Is this shirt ever going to happen? I’d buy one on the spot if I saw it.

1 Like

I kinda forgot about it! I’ll get it back on my to do list

1 Like