Those who are backing the Titan - where are you implanting it?

It is definitely not as sharp as a fingertip install would be.
The electrical field feeling gets a lot more “diffused”…

So if I am paying attention I can still feel it great, but I assume that if I were distracted I could easily not notice the feeling.

On the other hand I do pick up on feeling metal sharply and instinctively (feeling like I bumped the wrist on metal frames before I actually do).

That said, my brain is kinda particular with how it filters stimuli: I can sleep through blasting death metal, but wake up at the sound of the right doorknob being turned… and I do see a lot of how the brain “translates” these new feels being in action here.

despite that,

An advantage I see to having it on the back of the wrist is on daily routines and being able to just toss things (jumpers, cables, turners, pins) there while using both hands… It seems silly but is a massively appreciated little feature for me, which I couldn’t use a finger placement for. :wink:

How so? I’m curious cause since I was the one there and the one who did the tree climbing and the one who had to see the endeavor and it’s consequences through, the conclusion is pretty obvious.

3 Likes

Not sure if I laugh, cry or offer you a hug! :sweat_smile:

Knowing maria all of then :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Despite the damaged you received and the results of your post climb risk / reward analysis, you succeeded in climbing the tree. While you may feel the victory over said tree to be Pyrrhic, you were obviously not to old and disabled to do it, albeit inadvisably. :scream:

1 Like

Oh no no! I see where this went sideways…, I said I climbed a tree… you you assumed I successfully climbed the tree… the reality is I did about 3/4 of a pull-up, latched my leg on the trunk, performed a pathetic 30 second wobble, then my arms gave up causing me to fall back to the ground, leg still latched to the tree… there was no successful tree climbing, just a pitiful display that caused significant mockery from my partner and dog, and further damage to an already pretty messed up hip joint. The largest blow was suffered by my ego in any case, and the titan survived with nothing but a splinter or two.
The jury is still out on whether my pride will recover.

10 Likes

Yes, I assumed you kicked the tree’s ass in return for the ass kicking it gave you. Hope you recover quickly.

2 Likes

Oh I’m coming back with clippers in the spring… plus I turn all its pears into pie and my dog pees against it so maybe at the end of the day I win xD

6 Likes

Somehow I can’t stop seeing this in my head over and over while trying very hard to contain my giggles.

5 Likes

Giggle away, everyone else in this house has :wink:

is it weird that i see it as an animated scene, like cartoon character you and the whole thing has a laugh track behind it?

Hey Maria,
Are you an art student ?

Funnily enough the reason for for climbing the tree was to sort out a rope that hangs from a branch for my dog to play with.
In unrelated news i have been hung from a tree before but it wasn’t accidental.

4 Likes

A question. Has anyone tried putting a sensory magnet on jaw bone, or skull to hear magnetic fields through bone conduction? Is that even practical?

Tragus Implants and You (but also me)
Similar

1 Like

I know about Tragus implants, but I’m thinking about possibility of having a magnet in other places

1 Like

Disclaimer: I am not a medical or expert by any means!!!!
In theory it is possible. However, needs a different approach compared to the traditional sensory magnets, due to the lack of nerves in the bone.

As the EM field vibrates the magnet the nerves pick up the vibe in the soft tissue.
In the bone there has to be something the magnet knocks against (ideally not the bone itself). Imagine the magnet being encapsulated with yet another layer. Titanium would be a good candidate for this.

Some dental implants are made out of titanium. They are actually the part that makes connection with the crown and the jaw bone. One end screws into the bone, and there is a so called ‘well’ on the other end. That’s a fancy name for a threaded hole. The abutment goes there. The size of the well is determined by the location of the implant and the manufacturer…ie: bigger the tooth-bigger the well.
I looked up a few manufacturers, but it seems that the biggest well is still too small for the Titan. r-go A custom implant has to be made for a project as such…either way.

Same goes with skull implant, however I researched that topic a bit less.

Amal mentioned tuning the implant with a screw… this imposes another problem. The inside of the mouth heals rapidly.
…Challenging, but maybe possible.

A thought that occurred to me.

Why not put my titan deep inside my hand? I figure the meaty part of my hand is about 1.5 to 1.25 inches thick. What if I put my titan between the bones, halfway through the thickness between palm and back of hand?

Not a nerve dense area I suppose, but super protected.

Would the working of tendons mess with it or is there room?

It just occurred to me that we tend to think in terms of near surface installations that are necessary for rfid tags. But going deep would be super protected against the physical abuse my hands receive.

This might be the problem - if you put it there, you will lose lifting strenght (not what the Titan is made for, anyways), and you will definitely lose sensing… most of the receptors are somewhere in the different layers of the skin, and if I get it right, we mostly need the Vater-Pacini-corpuscles (they react to vibration), and those are sitting in the subcutis. I’m afraid implanting anything deeper than that might just lead to dissappointing results :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Try it out. Take a little cheap speaker that you can play music on, run a knife around the circumference of the diaphragm and peel it off so it can’t push air and make sound, then play some music and adhese a small magnet at various points on your skull to see where you get the best sound conduction.

2 Likes