TITAN (Contains spoilers!)⚠

That would make them holey :lock:

2 Likes

I have an old metal desk, I’m already fearing the pain(s) already!

I have so no idea what this means…
I though you brain learns to ignore this feeling after some time, so you just know without actually feeling the pull, right? Or is that just w/ EM fields? Or is it completely wrong?
So even if this is nice now, it’s not the actual experience?

I wonder if we know the same person or just the same kind of people

Being that it’s an scandinavian… perhaps? :sweat_smile:

The surprise came from how my brain interpreted it, especially while it’s so new.

I did not felt “a tug”, as it’s expected. I literally felt as if I banged my arm.

That was both much more intense than I expected with a wrist placement, and much faster than I expected to reach that level of abstraction from the feeling.

For some people, yes. Depends a lot from individual to individual. but overall it’s like you said:

Begins as a tug feeling but quickly should translate into more of “a feeling”

It’s reading well (even through the swelling) on the acr122u made a very bad video cause holding the phone and the reader and all one handed is hard. Still no read on my iphone though.

Should be just the swelling.
iPhones put out a lot less Oomph than ACRs, in general, so that could explain it. :relieved:

I am more interested in how hard is it to get a read (i.e. how many times you need to pass through, or if you need to try and angle the hand in a special way).

I’m starting to think that either I got an underperforming new antenna, or, most likely, an exceedingly overperforming old antenna.
Anyway, here’s a long Thread I’m putting up about it, so we can stop derailing this thread! :sweat_smile:

(hope this isn’t a derail, wanted to put it in the spoiler thread as this is where the implanted Titans get posted)

This may sound like an odd request, but I would super appreciate it if anyone could test this:

Anyone with an installed Titan + access to retro computing equipment, specifically 5.25 inch floppies (hoping there’s at least one of you), would you mind doing some practical tests at some point of copying/writing a floppy, doing some everyday handling of it with your titan hand, then testing data integrity?

I really want a biomagnet, and am considering hopping on the second Titan campaign/order when that happens. However, I’ve mentioned this before, but retro/vintage computing is one of my major hobbies, specifically Apple IIs and early DOS machines.

I would hate to accidentally wipe a disk that had yet to be backed up anywhere (a lot of my collection is old handwritten BASIC programs from people locally, don’t exist anywhere else). That risk is the major reason why I didn’t hop on the first campaign.

Obviously magnets will wipe floppies, but I’m wondering if a sensing magnet, like a titan, is strong enough once implanted to pose a practical risk.

4 Likes

Dont know if that is helpful:

I handled some Tape casettes (audio) from a friend.

After using the Tape Deck for some Days i rememberd the Xg3 in my finger and was quite scared that i destroyed the Tapes from them.

I was like FUCK - Could i have destroyed the tapes?

Lucky all of them sounded normal…

I mean at some point it just scared the Fck out of me.

to be clear, there was likely some damage done, but only in the form of some signal smoothing… basically a low grade signal degradation… this happens whenever a field interacts with magnetic media… but as you heard, it’s not enough with such short and infrequent exposure that it caused any noticeable difference.

The real sketchiness comes into play when dealing with old digital media where the signal level required for a bit to be considered a 1 and not a 0 is already pretty close to fully degraded… any interaction with a field at that point to strengthen or degrade bits in the field, depending on their polarity and angle of magnetic flux.

not terribly important, just being pedantic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And now the stitch is out. It’s been 4 days (I thought it was 5 but I’m awful at math) and the incision looked pretty closed and I kept catching the threads on stuff and frankly I’ve always been shit at keeping stitches or splints or casts or whatever in place.
It’s looking amazing though.

8 Likes

Looks absolutely great :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very happy that your healing appears to be going quite well, congratulations on the overall great install :smiley:

Mentioned it before, but I’m beyond excited to hear your experiences once healed.

1 Like

Any inconvenience typing with that finger? Or is it too soon and you’re not even trying? :slight_smile:

Something my dad said when he saw the titan, ‘thats gonna feel like a rock in your finger all the time’

I am already highly doubtful of that considering that I can’t feel my next without feeling for it with my other hand but I’d like to ask anyway because why not, how does it feel so far?

Oh no I’m typing, I have to work so I can make money so I can finance my bodymod addiction. My dealer keeps coming out with new stuff and better stuff and blinkier stuff so…

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering something: that little magnet has a non-insignificant thickness. Over a long period of time, what with the constant pressure from the skin above, and forces induced by touching stuff or typing in everyday life, I wonder if the magnet will tend to “sink down” into the fat pad below, thin it out or push it aside, and - possibly - eventually reach the bone which isn’t far below.

1 Like

So do I. But I tend to avoid using those 3 right hand fingers of mine that have no feeling, so I effectively type with 7 fingers only. I seem to be able to draw a salary with only those fingers :slight_smile:

Well the sensation is still a bit far from what it will be once it’s healed, there’s some swelling still and I think my nerves are a little grumpy so there is a degree of numbness. Now that the damn stitch is out my finger feels as normal as can be expected I don’t feel a giant lump of anything and once or twice I’ve had to check with the laptop fans to make sure it’s still in there. I guess it’ll be like the others, if I touch the region looking for it I will find it and I’m anticipating a different feeling when pressing down on a surface with it but beyond that nothing disturbing or very inconvenient

I’m not that good a typist and that’s my A and S finger and I’ve tried to keep it away but muscle memory is a bitch. I’m not playing guitar or anything too extreme and currently the only pain I feel is on the incision/stitch so typing hasn’t felt like anything.

Indeed. I learned touch-typing the proper way before the accident that rendered my fingers insensitive, and I still try to use them decades later. I don’t even realize it until I start seeing what looks like line noise on the screen, telling me that my hand is off-kilter on the keyboard - despite my right index finger being able to line up properly on the J key. I have to force myself to dud-type to avoid that.

It indeed is!! :grin:

I would keep a steristrip there for a few more days though. purely precautionary.

If that happens, and it is indeed “all the time”, our brain will just learn to treat that as “perception noise” and ignore it. :wink: