Titan install sharing thread

@ODaily working in a machine shop also I have a few questions…

1. do you ever have an issue with mag bases?
  2. do is it uncomfortable when you weld (if you do)?
  3. do you have any issues using bearing warmers and bearing demag machines? I’m pretty worried about if I go to demag a part if it will affect the Titan.

I’m really thinking it would be a good tool to have to see if something is 300 series SS or 400 series instead of having to go grab a mag base I could just use my finger lol. Also if anyone else is a mechanic/machinist I would love some input.

AND one more thing… Anyone have any comments about having it installed in the finger pad and going to the gym with it? I would think it would be uncomfortable with dumbbells, bars, ect…

As far as welding, I haven’t had an issue. It’s actually quite fun sometimes. I can feel I would tig weld. If you curl up the leads, it turns them into an electromagnet so you can feel a pretty good buzzing if someone arcs up and you put your magnet near the curled leads.
Shavings from grinding or slag can accumulate around the magnets, but it’s easy to brush them off. That being said, why aren’t you using gloves? OSHA is always hiding around the corner :stuck_out_tongue:
That’s been my experience with my xG3 v1 and v2 in knifes edge and P1.

1 Like

Well at work my tig gloves aren’t very thick, and at home… well OSHA isn’t allowed at my house LMAO. But BIG no no with rotating machines… never never ever wear gloves :wink:

1 Like

Haha
I worked on some ultrasonic welders with pneumatic moving parts and belts. A coworker got her glove stuck in narrowly avoided the welder part, told her to be more careful, but later she got her finger stuck in the automatic scissors and finally learned lol
Maybe we should’ve had guards on some things, but it was right in the middle of the pandemic and we got the machines from China. We were just happy that some of them came with an English option to help with figuring out how they all worked XD

…let’s just say… I’m a walking OSHA hazard, and I’m lucky I work for my family :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s how I was before I started tower climbing. I guess OSHA sits a few blocks away and takes pictures of climbers now. That did lead to the company I worked for being impressively safe and safety focused though. I’m glad for that when I was on the towers lol

Nope. My RH Titan will sometimes get “on edge” and I’ll grab the closest magnet I can find to flip it back. It doesn’t hurt, just kinda, itchy.??

This can be a coworker issue if they’re squeamish, especially when I pull the loose skin up with something clearly moving underneath it.

I MIG weld. Never even noticed it. I’d love to learn TIG.
That said, I installed in a place that has minimal sensing (back of hand) and will be moving them eventually as I can’t really sense anything.

If you’re talking induction heated bearing warmers, I don’t have anything like that, but I’d stay away. There were some tests on dangerous things stuff with an induction cook stove posted around here someplace. (see next post)

I do use magnetic base plates for surface grinding, Never had a problem, even when demagging, in fact I’ve never really noticed any interaction. Range is everything for magnet interaction, and mine being on the back of the hand keeps them off of things by the thickness of my hands almost all the time.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hopefully she didn’t lose the finger.

Well @ODaily and @invalid_signal that covers everything I can think of in our line of work (that I can think of at least) :+1: thank you so much!

Now just to get sold on working out with finger placement and I’ll be good to go lol

1 Like

Split it open pretty good, lost the fingernail, but thankfully kept her finger!

1 Like

Do you guys have any tips on setting a new “home” rotation for the Titan? Mine seems to want to settle down perpendicular to my skin, which can be uncomfortable if I grab something wrong and isn’t great for picking things up. I can rotate it with a strong magnet so the disk is parallel with my skin, but it keeps rotating back.

I’ve had it for ~3 weeks and figured I’d ask before the healing gets too far that I’m stuck (unless I’m already there :frowning: )

Mine are sheltered between bones, so once in place it tends to stay there. The loose flesh in the back of my hands will let it roll freely otherwise. I have a feeling yours may be apt to rotate as the Titan sees fit.

You might, maybe, benefit from putting a bandaid over it to encourage it to lie flat for awhile?

You could put a dime under the bandaid to make it harder to roll?

3 Likes

Oh that’s a good idea. I had seen posts about not to use a magnet but using something non-magnetic sound reasonable as long as I’m not cutting off circulation. Thanks!

I can’t say I meant to tag you initially lol, I was going to quote part of your post but ended up removing it, guess I forgot about the reply part :melting_face:

Spectrum makes Chlorhex for surgical use. It comes in an amber bottle and doesn’t need a prescription. It’s really hard to find in the US though.

Don’t matter. I started the thread so I get a notification for everything in here. :partying_face:

1 Like

You better hurry if you’re going to do something. I let one of my parylene ones heal perpendicular and it has kept it’s position for years now despite being rounder than the Titan.
Mine is not an issue at all in fact I was happy to have one perpendicular and one flat because they are complementary when sensing.

Oh nooo. I’ll see what I can do, lest I break out some chunky rotary magnet and blend my internal to try again lol

1 Like

Could anyone recommend a body modder/piercer/installer in the greater St. Louis region? There’s none listed on the map but I figure it’s a big enough city we’ve got to have someone around who knows somebody who does this. I’d be up for going up to 150 miles out, haven’t had the best luck asking around.

Hey, Kansas City cyborg here. The only place I’ve found in MO is Nevada north of Joplin. She did 3 x series installs for me, and she was open to doing a flex install. I never took her up on it though. Went down to Dallas to see Pineapple. He did an AMAZING job on my flexy and would recommend reaching out, and maybe taking a weekend trip.

4 Likes