Two RFID Questions: Placement and Interference

Hey all,

I picked up the DT Cyborg kit, but might have an option to upgrade shortly to a NExT, so possibly holding off installation pending that.

In the meantime, I’m looking for some information that my Google fu seems to fail me on. First, I’m hoping to learn what options I have for hand placement of chips. I know about between thumb and forefinger, but wonder if there are other places I can safely and easily insert chips on the hand, like the back of the hand. If you know of any guides or images I’d appreciate it. Also, can multiple chips go in the same area, or would they cause physical issues with one another?

Second, what about interference? Say I have a Mifare ISO14443A and a NFC NTAG216 in the same area of the hand, will they conflict? Seems possible based on my reading, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

Standby, I will grab you some links

In the Where can I put it section of this

4 Likes

Lets have a look at the xNT
xNT Chip Specifications

• 13.56MHz ISO14443A & NFC Type 2 compliant NTAG216 RFID chipset
  • Full datasheet for the NXP NTAG216 RFID/NFC chip

Chances are, they will not play nicely togetherat the reader, you will want some separation between them

2 Likes

Thank you @Pilgrimsmaster!!! About to go infosnort (opposite of infodump I guess) the whole thread. :smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Pilgrimsmaster, quick thought for you - in your thread, it might be a good idea to point out to physically separate your xLEDs from your other chips to avoid cred reading. This based on what Deviant (I think) said about how it’s beneficial on pen tests to avoid an authentication being logged. Sort of providing some forethought to those who might be doing implants but didn’t fully think out their future use.

1 Like

Great thinking, But, It would totally depend on how it was being used.
I think most people would want their xLEDs lighting up when they are scanning at a reader or their phone to “show off”
HOWEVER, If you were using them for pentesting, ABSOLUTELY you would keep them away from other implants.
I don’t have any blinky xLEDS, but if I did, I would have an HF and LF next to each other (>5mm apart) somewhere like position 2 & 3
But I am waiting / hoping for a 2in1 HF LF xLED

3 Likes

Was literally just thinking about suggesting the dual xLED. Though I’m pretty sure it’s been suggested a million times. Red/Blue or Blue/White would be good combos. I think Red/White would risk being a little less clear through skin.

1 Like

WE are definitely on the same wavelength ( Lighting pun unintentional ):bulb::rainbow:

3 Likes

Taking that one step further, lol, red has a longer wavelength, therefore a lower freq, so, red for 125kHz and blue for 13.56MHz?

3 Likes

This has me staring at the xLED I haven’t put in yet, thinking when/where I’m gonna put it. Damn it. More choices!

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’m thinking Position 4 for mine, but am inclined to wait for a dual reader option.

2 Likes

Yeah I have brought up the discreet use case a few times. Think @Backpackingvet changed his mind about putting them next to each other. It would be cool if there was a chip like the one in the xSIID that let’s you enable or disable the led.

3 Likes

I should imagine that’d actually be an easy enough thing to implement, but it could get big (for an implant) fast.

2 Likes

One counter argument to keeping them separate from a real chip is the fact that some readers (especially battery powered ones) have power saving features that make them not light simple field detectors.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it would involve a massive size difference. LEDs in the xSIID are powered off the chip, you would just need a chip that lets you turn off that pin. I don’t know if anything like that exists currently.

3 Likes

Fair. I just think the benefit of not logging an undesired auth outweighs the chances of it not getting any response if your own detection profile is important. Obviously this goes back to Pilgrim’s response which is a personal choice.

3 Likes

Yeah I personally plan to keep them separate. The fact you can choose is great. I have seen various people say all implants should have a built in “blinky” but between the covert option, loss of range (admittedly tiny) and inability to detect fields without providing a real chip I’m glad that hasn’t happened.

3 Likes