UHF Scanner on KickStarter

I saw this Kickstarter campaign and wondered what you lot would think about it. I realise it’s not near field tech but I liked the idea of the extended read distance (for car door access maybe?)
Are there any chip types for this kind of system that can be miniaturised for sub dermal applications?

UHF Reader - Link

1 Like

If someone can find a really small uhf inlay tag, I’d try encapsulation for implant testing

6 Likes

What frequency?

The unit reads between 840-960MHZ using the EPCglobal UHF Class 1 Gen 2 / ISO 18000-6C protocol.
Not that I know what that means - I took it from the specs.

3 Likes

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/2255800590780142.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!%24%200.15!%24%200.14!!!!!%402101e9ec16806182176226240e236c!10000007762683974!btf&_t=pvid%3Acbdbffb4-e704-42cd-9364-7e2368661dd6&afTraceInfo=4000777094894__msite__c_ppc_item_bridge__xxxxxx__1680618218&spm=a2g0n.ppclist.product.0&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2usaMsite&_randl_shipto=US

I found this

Thank you.

FYI
UHF freqs are normally regulated by region
USA use 900s
Europe 860s
etc

I have seriously considered getting a UHF implant, as I have a use for it, I haven’t pursued it because Amal has always Poo-Pooed the idea…until now

:pbjtime:

THESE are the ones I looked at

2044409203-1185479521

POSSIBLY one of these

But I wouldn’t consider one of these due to the fragility of the chip-antenna connection

1 Like

Yeah, definitely steer clear of the silver ink tags. They’re very fragile.

3 Likes

True, but…

…what if Amal pimped it out with a luminescent disk under the foil tab?! I can already imagine some of you blinky chipsters swanning through doors that you open with a regal wave of your hand from a meter away!
Dare you to say you wouldn’t!

UHF B43 Glochip :rat:

1 Like

Im not a “blinky chipster” but yes, there are many that may REALLY want them, but the problem is the same as the FlexNExT

They were a fantastic theoretical Prototype, however their failure rate was very high, Maybe even 100% :man_shrugging: , Including the LED Nails

Heed these wise words

Also

What did you have in mind for this in the UHF range?

1 Like

The idea of a glowing disk silhouetting the UHF antenna appealed to me aesthetically: ray guns, futurism, antennas broadcasting propaganda, Metropolis stylee.
That’s why I mocked up the “UHF B43 Glochip”.
For our purposes a far more robust antenna/chip set would still remain under a couple of millimetres.
My interest in UHF was for access control because of the distances boasted by the reader I saw on Kickstarter but I don’t know enough about electronics to know if it’s a viable proposition.

1 Like

The two UHF chips below are 24mm² and graphically simple (and beautiful IMO). They would be easy to etch out of thin copper foil - far more robust than conductive paint but still thin enough (0.3mm?) to occupy little space under the skin.

UHF1 . UHF2

uhf does have great range, and it could be incorporated into an access system, the “problem” is the propogation though the skin (hence Amals reluctance)

The larger the antenna, the better the range, same for ours
xM1 vs FlexMT, no comparison

It is yet to be proven IF UHF with work though skin, and yes your design looks great, but unfortunately there is a little bit of work to get to what you (and I) are wanting…Completely doable, and not much work, but the physics needs to be more than theoretical.

Sounds negative, not implied, just rushing a reply as I am walking…

I will be doing some tests soon™

3 Likes

Try to read a UHF tag through ~3mm of damp brown sugar in a plastic bag.

4 Likes

What did you just call me?! :angry:

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

What will you use for your tests?

I’m currently waiting on a Proxmark and a Flipper but I’m guessing that neither of them read UHF, right?

The UHF reader that sparked my curiosity and prompted this post doesn’t write so seems limited and the handheld UHF readers I found sold by a UK company www.tsl.com start at about £1,200 GBP so, despite being fascinated by this branch of RF, my curiosity doesn’t have that fat a wallet!

A meatbag, Satur9 called you a meatbag!

:robot_windows:

3 Likes

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14066

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14131

1 Like

giphy

8 Likes

Just parachutted here and wondered…

Has no-one shoved a tag deep inside a gammon joint and then tried to use it?

I do like the moist bworn sugar test, but a piece of steak is less destructive (if you eat meat)…
Unless you fancy eating a full bowl of brown sugar! :unicorn_nom_nom: