Using an RFID implant to unlock Windows 10

Ha, fuck I didnt even consider what it might do when I have a different layout enabled

This problems seem like they would be trivial to fix with a simple AHK script.

If you want I could try and bodge soemthing together. Might not be able to fix all problems but some might. Let me know.

1 Like

I recently set up Windows 10 on a new computer (like two days ago recent) and I was asked during setup if I would like to add any additional keyboard layouts. Is it not possible to assign a keyboard layout to a specific HID device?

No, and thatā€™s been the bane of my life for 30 years under Windows. The keyboard layout applies globally to all HID devices. You may change it or apply different layouts to different windows, but essentially you canā€™t configure Windows and say ā€œthis keyboard talks US qwerty, that keyboard talk German qwertzā€.

In Linux, you can assign a different layout to each HID device (finally, after years of people bitching and moaning about it), but the process is a bit convoluted and requires scripting and knowing your way around the system. But at least itā€™s doable.

I believe itā€™s doable also in MacOS, but I donā€™t know enough about Apple products to be sure.

I login to various PCā€™s at different locations using my implants and at first I started with just a flat reader on the desk, meaning I would have to skew my hand/wrist into a funny position. Quite quickly I fixed those readers to the bottom of my desk in a very natural position, so I donā€™t have to move my chair or strain anything. It is very quick and easy, gets the reader out of the way so reduces clutter and anyone else not in the know would have no idea there was an alternative means of authentication there.

3 Likes

Thats exactly what I was planning for my pc

I had originally had it installed on the underside of my desk but found the angle awkward (probably my shitty desk chair haha).

Yeah I suppose it depends on the height and position of the desk and chair as to how comfortable it will be for you. At one location I have it horizontal on the side of a desk, but another underneath.

Iā€™ve been using my implant to unlock my PC for quite a few years. The first design was using development boards, but then I spun up something custom.

Some tips: Send Ctrl-Alt-Del before the password to help prevent it being sent to a text editor or such. Use a USB serial port for configuration and password changes.

Yes, you do have to take keyboard layout into consideration for a USB HID device. Antenna design to work well with implanted tags takes a bit of work too.

3 Likes

Mounting my reader underneath my monitor has worked for a while, but Iā€™m trying to get round to a design which will fit inside a Dell KB522 (wired) keyboard with built-in USB hub. Iā€™m planning to put the antenna in place of some of the multimedia buttons, but that might mean an awkward twist of the wrist to get a good read.

1 Like

Better to send Win-L than Ctrl-Alt-Del: that way if the screen is unlocked, itā€™ll lock then immediately unlock again. If it was already locked, Win-L will wake it up then the UID+Enter will unlock it.

As for the keyboard layout issue, one way around it would be to send everything in decimal or octal with numpad keypresses.

Good point about Win-L. Iā€™ll try that. I always use that (manually) to lock my PC, but never thought about it for protecting the password.

This is what I was thinking, if the device is interpreting the UID and then passing it, I wounder could it be set to send ALT codes using the numpad as well. Wonder would that be faster than straight decimal

As far as I know, ALT codes refer to characters in the currently-loaded codepage, which differs from locale to locale (like Windows-1552 aka latin-1 for western Europe, 1551 for cyrillic, etc) So no, it wouldnā€™t work.

Decimal or octal strings are longer than hex but itā€™s so fast it doesnā€™t matter. The only issue is, itā€™s a bit unreadable when people are used to seeing UIDs in hex. But it makes no difference to the password routine. Just donā€™t use another wedge that sends hex to unlock it with the same UID :slight_smile:

Some keyboard wedges can have the output format configured. I have one at home, but I canā€™t remember which one it is. Possibly the ACR1281U.

Good work Fred. I learned some stuff.

The link is down :unamused:

1 Like
3 Likes

I would suggest the old school Microsoft Natural keyboard (PS/2 connector, not USB)ā€¦ not the Natural Elite keyboard, the older original versionā€¦ lots of room in there and sturdy AFā€¦ then replace the cord with a USB cord to a USB hub and PS/2 converter for the keyboard part, then the reader etc. inside

1 Like

It is possible to write a program which will communicate with the reader via the com port. In case there is no sleep mode on the PC at the moment we just wonā€™t emulate keystrokes. You can use digispark as a basis

Hmmm, what Iā€™m curious to know is if thereā€™s any way to transmit USB over RF. Like have a transmitter plug into the USB device side, and the receiver plugged into the PC, then put the kbr1 with a battery in a wireless keyboard, and have it function independently from said keyboard