UV tattoos and borging up

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep an eye on this thread

1 Like

I store some backup keys to 2fa apps like Discord, the passcode to the backups on Signal, or any other “backup codes” that would be really important to not loose encrypted and stored in my xM1 at the moment. My NEXT is used with NFC Tasks and the Spark 2 is mostly used for logging into my desktop.

Edit: sweet tattoos by the way. That UV ink is really cool.

2 Likes

Oh, and this one

2 Likes

Nice - that’s kind of the idea. I am hoping to replace my door keypad with an RF deadbolt or augment it somehow with an ad on piece or something. Also interested in watch that woman did with her tesla key a little while back.

1 Like

Amie DD

DT used to sell them, but no longer do.

The Vivokey Apex Range ( Released SOON ™ ) will have it as an applet to do that.
It is only for the Tesla® Model 3 though.

Here is some more Vivokey Apex info for ya :+1:

Sorry mate, I am derailing your thread

1 Like

Welcome. Love the ink. Also, obligatory compatibility matrix link to help you sort out the deadbolt:

There is a hardware hack to get the samsung deadbolt working again, info is here on the boards if you think you want to go that route, but there’s no point flooding your intro post with EVERY link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah sorry, was at work until now :wink:
But thanks for joining in to the unicorn insanity! :star_struck:

shock

happy

magic

Seriously, looks incredible! Just to get it clear, it’s UV-activated, not glow in the dark, is it? I like how it accentuates the details of both tattoos, but of course, anything with tentacles will be my immediate favorite!^^

On a more practical side - a) how long do you have the ink in, did you have any problems with it during healing time or afterwards and b) how on earth did you get a tattoo artist to tattoo you with it? As far as I know, this stuff is far from being healthy :wink:

4 Likes

UV reactive tattoo inks are fluorescent because they immediately re-emit the UV light that hits them as new light at a different wavelength. They don’t store any of the energy over time, it’s more like a funhouse mirror. Those inks are usually pretty safe (not significantly carcinogenic), although they do fade in the sun faster than normal tattoo inks.

True glow-ink-the-dark inks are phosphorescent because they store the energy from the light that hits them and release it slowly over time (same mechanism as the xGLO). They’re the ones that are unsafe because they cause allergic reactions and may or may not be highly carcinogenic. They also fade even faster than UV reactive inks so require regular touch ups.

2 Likes

thanks for the art. :smiley:
and thanks @satur9 for the assist :heavy_check_mark:

these are Black light/UV reactive - so when i am at a minigolf place or a the dentist, you can see the glowee bits.

On a more practical side - a) how long do you have the ink in, did you have any problems with it during healing time or afterwards and b) how on earth did you get a tattoo artist to tattoo you with it? As far as I know, this stuff is far from being healthy

a) the dude who did mine didn’t know much, we kind of learned together :slight_smile: went in pretty ordinarily. these pics are as of yesterday (dec 30) and the octopus was done in 2018 - still as bright and reactive as day one.

b) I supplied the ink, so he was very ok just doing what i asked. it helps to get someone who is ok with working with what you want to do to your own body VS… them pulling the “shut up, im the expert” card.

2 Likes

Thanks @Satur9 and @LordSethos2000 - didn’t exactly know of the health-related differences between the two kinds of ink, and it’s been some years since I researched all that…

If it’s okay for you (and not too much of a derail), do you happen to have a link to the ink manufacturer? No clue if I could get that stuff in Germany, but might be interesting - especially since my tattoo artist is usually totally fine on experimenting a bit on me :wink:

Such an artist would see me exactly once - when I’m walking out of his door again :wink:

edit:

I would love to have that, in a mostly-biosafe-way… I mean, I have that wonderful glow-in-the-dark implant, but there are several places where implants like that just can’t be placed (on the spine, for example…), and I would just love to have a bioluminescent design all across my body… maybe paired with the scarification, that would just look insane…

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Moms-VIOLET-Nuclear-Colors-Tattoo/dp/B0114UISQ2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=reviewpart00-20&linkId=eeed64c070266b0eaf3b9780d4b60121&language=en_US
this is the stuff i used - my body liked it, no problems so far.

you can buy individual bottles as well, just look around online - im certain you will find something in such a mod friendly country like das Vaterland

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Gonna dig a bit deeper into that…
Yeah, Germany is very mod friendly - but artists are focused a lot on safety here (I’m actually quite thankful for that), so that there arises no bad publicity that might make our country less mod friendly :wink:
So if there is a doubt about the safety of the ink, it might be hard to get it done here. But once “my” studio is open again, I’m gonna get on their nerves with it :smile:

1 Like

When can we order those?

All in good time, my friend

1 Like

I have to partly disagree on that one. I agree that there are glow in the dark pigments that are not biocompatible (zinc sulfide based ones). The thing is there are others that actually are biocompstible (strontium aluminate based ones). They are basicly as inert as alumina ceramic (alot of prothesis are made from that). I was actually working on some glow in the dark tattoo ink some time ago. The problem that i had with that was the particle size which made it very hard to keep the particles suspended in the ink. I didn’t continue with that aproach since i was quite busy with other projects after. Injecting a thicker version of that ink with an injection needle directly under the skin works quite well (the picture is from about 8 years after and there were no complications. It also healed quite quickly). The Pigment rubbed into a scarification also works quite well. I bought my strontium aluminate pigment from a genuine supplyer back then. I didn’t use it out of the box since you never know how it’s stored and it’s probably everything but sterile when you receive it. If there if interest i could write down what i did in therms of cleaning before using it. And very important. Even though i didn’t get complications doesn’t mean noone gets complications. This is not fda approved so if you do it always take proper percautions.

7 Likes

That’s totally fair. I didn’t mean to imply that phosphorescent inks could never be safe. I was just trying to clarify for Coma that the ones with a history of being unsafe that she was thinking of were specifically the phosphorescents.

The Europium doped Strontium Aluminate powders (SrAl2O4:Eu) are some of the most phosphorescent materials commercially available right now. That’s what Cassox is using in his resin glow dots and what Amal has been testing out on some LED implants. It may also be mixed in to the silicone in Sammpa’s glow inserts. I’m not sure about its biocompatibility, but as with most things it’s probably a little bit of harm over a long period of time. I’m willing to take risks with that kind of stuff.

Really cool that you had some success mixing a viable ink out of it. Since it’s a ceramic you might be able to bake it to sterilize before mixing the ink. Are you thinking you’ll try again some day?

2 Likes

well damn, that looks like it has some fun potential! i’d love to augment my tattoos with some flair like that - im not shy of needles - i have 20+ tattoos - i could see me getting bored and just injecting that stuff into me for kicks :smiley:

Yeah i’ll try to pick up research on that ink again but i probably need to get in tough with a tattoo ink manufrakturer and their experiance to get something proper out of it.

Alright then xD So the washing was done in a container with a screw lid. It was filled to a degree with the solution for washing and then shaken vigorously for a minute. After that i would let it settle out for a few minutes and then the exess liquid was decanted off into a seperste container. i first washed it a few times with 90% isopropyl alcohol, then multiple times with sterile saline solution. As a last washing (for the ink tries) i used prontolind desinfectant and after decanting it off i filled it again with it for storage. I prepared the powder for scarification rubbing a bit differently. I first washed once with isopropyl alcohol, then a few times with sterile saline solution and then twice with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy. After that i would spread it out in a sterile container and dry it there. Afterwards i’d check the washing solutions to see if something washed out. Strontium aluminate is very resistent to heat (up to 800°c without lost of phosphorescent properties.) so using an autoclave sterilisation should work. Everything on your own risk. Oh and please ton’t use strontium aluminates from ebay. Often it’s just relabled zinc sulfide on there.

3 Likes

Please do. PLEASE DO! :smile:

This looks really amazing on your arm, and I can imagine it being a way to achieve my “bioluminescence”… But I would love to be able to use it like regular tattoo ink, for it would allow for finer lines and shapes.

Since no tattoo ink is ever FDA approved for human (!) use, this makes no difference at all :wink: If you could convice a tattoo ink manufacturer that this is a more-or-less safe way to get real glow-in-the-dark tattoos, I guess there will be quite a lot of interest!

May I ask how your arm looks in broad (day)light? Is the ink visible or nothing at all? And how long does it glow (depending on the “charging time”, of course)?

I have no idea how Steve Haworth makes his implants glow, gonna do some research on it…
For the time being, it was enough for me to know it was basically safe :smile:

edit: Did anyone ever try to add LumiNova to tattoo inks or something similar? If I get it right, they are based on strontium aluminate, available in different colours and can easily be bought online… (not cheap, but…^^)

3 Likes