UV tattoos and borging up

That was a joke, ha ha, fat chance.

2 Likes

And additional special thanks to you and @mrln for trying this out first - it was to a big part your first hand experience that made me decide it’s worth a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if aqua glow powder would glow for longer. I think the green powder is brighter initially, but the aqua becomes brighter if you wait an hour.

@Coma
Been a bit, how’s the diy glow tattoo ink?
Both any further work on the formulation or delivery method

And

How’s it settling in?

2 Likes

Oh, i need to try that!

Yeaaaah, sorry, I’m really lazy currently :smile:
It’s still glowing, and I don’t think it has degraded much - it’s really hard to capture it on camera, but that’s roughly what it looks like now (though with a bit more daylight because the cam was bitchy):

The blue-greenish ink is brighter, but the green one seems to glow longer, at least that’s what it looks like when I poke it with UV light.

Main problem is, my legs don’t get much light during the day, so I can’t tell how much the ink would glow by itself - so today, I decided to try some different placement and poked my fingers. I’m still a bit sad that I suck at tattooing, but I love to be my own little experiment :smile:
I used both green and blue-green (is that what you mean with aqua, @asdf?) powder with relatively little liquid (just enough so it wasn’t a paste but a rather thick fluid). Right now, about an hour after tattooing, it looks like it didn’t work at all (there are so many spots with seemingly no pigments), but I know that from my leg already - when it settles, after about 2-3 days, it usually looks better. Though I have to say, poking fingers really sucks a bit, you can’t stretch the skin (unless you have three hands), the skin itself it pretty thin, and it really doesn’t help that I use nearly invisible ink and can hardly work with liners or stencils, so it’s sometimes more of an educated guess where the lines should go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Really curious to see your results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you trying to tattoo with a UV lamp on, or are you just using a “blood trail” to see where you have been?

It sounds like you need to take your SUCCESSFUL experiment to a willing tattoo artist, although, I imagine, that will be the tricky part

interesting… what do you mean? do you just mean that after an hour the aqua has faded less? surely it does not “get brighter”, it simply “is brighter” than other colors that have faded more?

For the finger tattoos, I painted the design with a white pen (because it was more than just a simple line this time), basically rubbed it off again until it was nearly invisible and did the first round of poking. I then removed excess ink and planned to just follow the reddish lines, but to my surprise, they were nearly invisible… either I poked too shallow or skin on fingers is strange in many ways :woman_shrugging: :slight_smile:

But… well, I was impatient, so I took some pictures today - the pigments still have to settle, they will still fade a bit and I have to rework several spots, but here it is:

I’m a bit surprised by myself - I know it’s not even good, technically, but to see it glowing faintly when I wake up at night filled me with so much joy I nearly felt like crying.

15 Likes

Planning a trip to Koln so you can poke my fingers with your fairy UV magic powder! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, I’m happy I slowly start to learn how to poke myself - I don’t think I’d try than on anyone else :smile:

2 Likes

Well you’ll need Guinea pigs to improve at some point :innocent:

Well im not sure if a Guinea pig is the best choice, the fur obstructs the view on the tattoo work xD

Z(5)

4 Likes

Sorry, totally forgot to answer to that part :smile:
Yep, this would be tricky. Anyone who does tattoing as a “real job” would risk losing that job by using unknown (or rather non-allowed) pigments. And that’s a risk few people would be willing to take, and a risk I would not like them to take as well. I still do not know myself if the pigments are okay or if they are dangerous in the long term - I know my body accepts them, I do not get strong reactions (just the usual slight redness that comes with every kind of tattoo) and they seem to last for a while at least. So I’m not surprised that all professionals I asked about this told me to better not do it - I asked for their professional opinion, and that was what I expected to get :wink:

A good friend of mine, though, who does stick and poke tattoos on himself for quite some time (and who provided me with lots of information and tips about all that - thanks my dear! :slight_smile: ), saw the pictures today and seems quite interested to do this himself, so I think about trading some of my pigments and get him tattoo my right hand in exchange :smile:

I figured that would be the case.
It would be good if they let you sign an indemnity waiver

even though hes not a professional, at least he will be the extra set of hands you need.

For what it’s worth, although they are not technically perfect, they still look amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I hate to hijack this awesome thread, but … that powder would look great mixed with 3D printing resin (pico :wink:)

I have powder and shitty clear resin…

I could maybe :thinking:

1 Like

They already sell that stuff :wink:

I’m not sure about the quality of the resin itself, because I don’t know anything about 3d printing, but maybe it’s interesting for you :slight_smile:

You usually do anyways - for piercings, bodymods and I think tattoos as well. Germany is pretty strict on such things, and if you don’t sign such a waiver, you could later sue the artist for bodily harm. Plus, you sign that you were informed about all the possible risks (and the list is impressive :smile: ), that you’re free of blood-borne diseases, didn’t do drugs or alcohol before, you state your allergies and all that, and for some piercings they even ask if you have a surgery planned in the forseeable future. So, yeah, German bureaucracy at its best. And sadly enough, it’s neccessary - several artists told me about customers trying to sue them when something went wrong (even when it was the customer’s fault, like stupidly bad aftercare and such, or things that just happen sometimes, like fading tattoos or inflammated piercings).

Thank you :slight_smile: :unicorn_love:
Let’s see how they develop - I plan on reworking the lines at least once or twice, but I plan to let it “heal” a few days or maybe weeks before.

4 Likes

Yikes, and also yikes… I’ve looked at Germany a couple of times but I think that those little things about the culture would drive me up the walls. But on the other hand, no country is perfect and I grew up in one that’s probably far worse in many ways.

Those tattoos look amazing! You did a great job and I love that you’ve been successful with the glow in the dark ink project, everything in this thread looks awesome!

2 Likes

wrote a whole thing getting pointlessly into the weeds… then deleted it lol
I don’t support frivolous stuff… but if someone messes up badly in a way that could of or should have easily prevented… I support consequences or the ability for someone wronged to try to make a situation right

thoughts?

3 Likes