Video of Solo Install of VivoKey spark2

First of all I have to say:

I am not medically trained or qualified to give any advice.

My biggest point of criticism is really the sterility …

The injection comes pre-sterilized, so it is completely sterile, It is not necessary to clean it, that only brings in germs…

But using the antiseptic wipe after cleaning my hand with it shocked me a bit.

Reaching for the face and blowing on it after cleaning are also possible points of contamination.

I hope that you are super well, but in terms of cleanliness it was a bit of a catastrophe …

constructive feedback welcome

I hope that was constructive enough, I was just a bit shocked, as I said, because of the sterility.

5 Likes

well, im not one to be told what to do - only feedback i have is wear a shirt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Nicolas,

Glad you got the implant in without complications, welcome to the wide world of sticking tech in yourself!

Here’s the official install instructions, for reference:

If you wanted some feedback on the install, I have some points:

• First, if you can’t get a professional installer, it really helps to at least have a second person to help do stuff like tent the skin and open sterile packaging (better than your teeth :wink:)
  • You don’t need to wipe down the syringe tip after you remove the cap. It was EO gas sterilized, so you actually made it dirtier by wiping it down, especially with the same cloth you wiped your hand with
  • You’re going to want the right tools for the job before you begin. Clothespins and crocodile clips are insufficient. Next time splurge on some forceps or put a rubber band on the handle of some properly sterilized needle-nosed pliers
  • Once you insert the needle all the way in you need to pull it back about 15mm to expose the pocket you’ve created before depressing the plunger to deploy the implant. The way you did it is very common and results in the implant jamming it’s own way through flesh which is unpredictable and damaging
  • If you’re getting that much blood when you’re done, you definitely nicked a vein (probably because you abandoned the tenting and didn’t properly massage the area first to loosen up the fascia and locate any blood vessels). When you get a bleeder like that it helps to raise your hand above your heart to significantly lower your blood pressure in that area

I look forward to hearing more about your cyborg adventures mate. Good luck

3 Likes

agree - lots of blowing and spitting and for one moment, the hand goes off screen to, i assume, scratch an itch - after the cleaning was done.

one should prep before, open things that need opening, place things in the sterile field and don’t evoke mouth parts for sterile installs… (your butthole would have been cleaner to use to open stuff)

Absolutely, without fail, I have to go pee, or want to touch something after my installer sterilizes everything. Every time.

1 Like

I think you have had enough constructive criticism and get the point.

It was an odd video to watch, because It looked like you were doing mostly all the right things, but you were just doing them a little “wrong”.

I didn’t hear the plunger click, but it did look fully depressed :disappointed:
Have you checked to ensure it is inside you.
If you are uncertain, there may be too much pooled blood to get a read at the moment, but a small neodymium (on the outside of your bandage) should be able to confirm for you.

Anyway
Well done for laying down and working off the drape :+1:
Thanks for sharing
I hope you heal well.

2 Likes

Thanks all!
Yeah, my solo drunk adventure went about as well as I had any right to. Will definitely put more consideration into sterility in the future and go back to having my brother lending a hand in the op.
The key is in and the puncture has surprisingly knitted together over night and is barely visible. criticisms notwithstanding, this was probably the easiest install yet.

Cheers,
Nick

1 Like

Yeah, I knew I was forgetting something.

Increasing the volume on my headphones, actually, but point taken :laughing:

1 Like

I did hear it.

Nice to know that it’s healing nicely and that everything is going well on your end. Since you mentioned that it was the easiest so far, I assume that this is not your first chip?

3rd. xDF2 and xM1 previously with a helping hand. The xM1 is in the knife edge of hand and that took a surprisingly large amount of force and barely went deep enough to stay put. xDF2 was my first and so, you know, shaky hands and all :stuck_out_tongue:
I was a bit drunk last night, i don’t even know why I filmed it :man_facepalming:
Ohh well, it’s up now and may be helpful to someone by showing them how not to do it.

Hi there, I am a medical professional although to be honest I feel that the community has done a great job highlighting some of the issues with this install already.

One thing I noticed that may or may not have been on purpose but did you mean to insert bevel up? There has been a lot of discussion and I know @amal has an opinion on the healing of the different methods.

Other than that, it’s all about aseptic technique. The best people to learn this from are actually nurses as they tend to do a lot more procedures that require this.

If you have any questions shoot me a line.

2 Likes

With regard to the bevel direction, it’s actually safer for a layman to go bevel up. Controlling the point is extremely difficult with the bevel down… Well maybe not extremely difficult but it is difficult if you are not a professional who’s used to it.

1 Like

I liked your modified rotation technique.

Insert Bevel down to pierce, spin to bevel up for further control whilst inserting

1 Like

I like it too, however… people who are going against our recommendation to have a professional perform their installation are not typically able to keep track of everything they have to keep track of… particularly when it comes to cross-contamination… and performing a maneuver like that with a needle sticking mid-way into your own hand is asking too much of most people. The absolute best way to get a safe installation done is to go to a professional.

3 Likes

I feel like bevel down has accuracy with regard to initial incision site which is why it’s preferred in all medical procedures currently taught but bevel up does have the advantage of controlling depth when advancing a needle in someone who is not experienced in this.

The take away, most probably, is to to have your implants inserted by someone who understands and can put into practice aseptic technique as well as management of depth.

3 Likes

No, I actually installed bevel down. My previous install i went bevel up and it left a nice little smiley face scar. I’ve read that bevel down is usually recommended, but agree with amal that up is easier to control depth. I went bevel down this time to see if there is a difference. The puncture point from this insertion is barely visible after only 2 days so i think i’ll stick with down. Despite how I may appear in this video, I do take safety seriously and I’m not completely clueless about anatomy. I certainly do have a risk taking/thrill seeking personality but I think I have a good grasp of my own limitations (check out the other 2 vids on my channel :wink: )

Haha, yeah that would be a good take away. My take away is I need to learn more (and not film myself sticking needles into my hands while drunk)

1 Like

Don’t be too hard on yourself.

It was probably a good thing you documented it…

:wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately YouTube deleted your video