VivoKey Apex Flex + iOS NDEF Read?

I just tested with a friend’s Android phone and it can successfully read the Apex flashed with OpenJavaCard-NDEF. But perhaps the applet code is flawed in some way that makes it incompatible with iOS? According to Apple’s Core NFC docs:

Using Core NFC, you can read Near Field Communication (NFC) tags of types 1 through 5 that contain data in the NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF).

So at least in theory the Type-4 Apex should be compatible. I’d be curious to hear if the official VivoKey NDEF applet fares any better.

Just to be clear, type 4 refers to the NFC specification type for a tag. It’s simply means that type 4 tags are accessed via a standardized AID using APDU commands. The apex is not a type 4 nfc chip until the application is loaded… if that makes any sense.

4 Likes

For the kind folks who planned to test with their own iPhones, any luck? Been trying various modifications to the NDEF applet and still no dice, only compatibility mode works.

Heya Amal, sorry to pester - did you ever manage to get a successful NDEF read on the iPhone?

1 Like

Damn. Forgot. Will steal the iPhone from my wife tonight and test.

Also… I updated the NDEF record cap file on the Fidesmo service the other day. A couple bug fixes merged from the master branch. Might have an effect…maybe.

1 Like

Try removing the NDEF applet and reinstalling the updated one. Write with tagwriter.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m seeing the same issue from this other thread, can’t connect a service on iOS. But it looks like you can enter an ID manually:

If I understand correctly, that’s for the NAK applet. What should I use for the NDEF applet? Thanks again!

Yes manual service delivery will work with any app.

Sorry I should have been more specific - what app ID should I enter for the official NDEF applet?

61b4b03d

The service ID is ndef1k for 1k, ndef2k, ndef4k, ndef8k, and ndef16k

1 Like

eh, excuse me. what the hell is this? hmm?

Screenshot 2022-08-13 at 10.48.58

5 Likes

We’ve know about them for ages lol. Apex spectrum I think was the running name.

1 Like

ah, on the DT club side is it?

You’ll see more stuff if you join the club :wink::grin:

1 Like

I thought that it was going to be called the Apex Max. I’m not in the club but I’ve been paying attention.

1 Like

Apex blinky

1 Like

Yeah, one of the perks of being in the DT Club.

Some insider information and early access

:thinking:

You have been paying attention, but your wires may be crossed…
That is “something”, but not THAT.

join-the-club-be-with-us

2 Likes

8 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: HELP, set up Apex as business card