Vivokey & Apex Troubleshooting

Ok, I’m able to get OTP codes into the VivoKey OTP applet now using both the Apex Manager and Yubikey Authennticator, but there is definitely something funky going on.

My exact process for Apex is this:

Initial Conditions:

1. Close all apps
  2. Ensure NFC is on

Process:

1. Open Apex Manager
  2. Scan VK Beta - works about 80% of the time
  3. Tap Authenticator
  4. Tap QR Scanner and scan QR code
  5. See the Pending Change and notice the Scan Apex come up in bottom of screen
  6. Hold VK to back of phone in the normal spot I’ve been using. Wait about 10 seconds. Notice that nothing happens. No sound, no vibration.
  7. Hit home, open settings, search for NFC
  8. Turn NFC off and back on
  9. Double tab app list button to go back to Apex Manager, still on the scan Apex screen
  10. Hold VK to the pack of phone in exact same spot as before.
  11. Watch in amazement as the credential gets added
  12. Delete credential and repeat.

I’ve done this ~5 times in a row now and I’m getting the same result sequence. The initial write attempt does nothing, and it isn’t until I turn NFC off and back on that it works.

I get similar behavior when using the Yubico Authenticator app, so I think this is something to do with Android and/or the Galaxy S23.

Another weird thing is the position I use on my S23 Ultra. @amal do you know where the NFC antenna is by chance? According to an iFixIt teardown it is near the top, on the opposite side of the camera bank (top right if you were looking at the back of the phone). But the place I get the most consistent reads is on the bottom of the phone, with the flex perpendicular to the phone body.

(that’s a little low in the picutre; it’s more like about 1/4th of the phone height from the bottom)

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
SM-2918U1
Android: 14
Google Play System Update: November 1, 2023