VivoKey Apex update

Sweet, I was just checking, because not everybody is aware of both.
:+1:

Well, if you think about it, as long as you aren’t touching the insertion site after cleaning, you could have muddy hands.

I would only be concerned about sterile gloves if things are being touched that are placed in me.

XSIID has no reason to be touched vs a flex like in your arm.

To add to what @Backpackingvet said … I guarantee you a normie putting on a sterile glove will do two things; 1) contaminate the glove, 2) convince them they can now touch wounds and do stupid things and not be as careful as they should be.

I have literally seen “professionals” (people with body piercing licenses) open the sterile field, lay it on the table, then use their bare hands to smooth it out like a tablecloth… contaminating the entire surface… like 100% contamination… then take the injector out… take the cap off immediately before anything else, then lay the bare needle down on the contaminated field.

Being mindful of cross contamination and maintaining a sterile field is not easy. In fact, I would say most people - even smartypants types - will always fail hard at it.

5 Likes

I know you work in the medical field but I love it when people say something like “sterile fields are easy” even with training its hard as hell.

Yes and yes, I’ve seen first aiders pick up gloves blow into them then put them on and start prodding at wounds! Unless there is a hole in an artery there us almost never a good excuse to touch a wound.

As for the field thing I’d be walking straight back out the installer that did my xsiid was a really nice guy and knew exactly what he was doing.

1 Like

Yeah okay, I didn’t quite think that one through: if you’re alone and you try to slip one hand into a sterile glove and keep it sterile, you might need that 3rd arm after all :slight_smile:

I have no difficulty believing that most people aren’t thorough, or well trained enough to keep things sterile. But I for one would research the kosher way of doing it, and try my best to do it well, if I were to try a self-install.

If I read what you guys are saying right, better do a good round of hand washing than delude yourself that you’re safe with a sterile glove that ain’t sterile no more.

I dunno, that sounds like a strange defeatist logic. How about doing the hand washing and attempting to put on the sterile glove properly and maintain cleanliness around the area too?

Its more a case an no longer sterile glove you believe to be sterile is a dangerous thing. I wear a glove when doing self installs but use a known sterile glove oppend in field etc this i personal preference i dont see it as any better than properly cleaned and sanitised hands/arms.

I tend to wash hands and arms up to elbows then sanatize with an alchole based wash before putting on the glove / de capping the needle.

I would say easy now. I wasted several thousand dollars worth of supplies learning.

Very easy to do. You just have to do other stuff correct first.

1. Open your drape, and let it lay as flat as you can, touching only the parts that touch the table

2. Open your sterile supplies and drop them in the field.

3. Glove that one hand as sterile as you want.

Now you have the one sterile hand and a working field. Just gotta make sure you do it in order, and it would still be “easy”

Yeah, uhh before I self installed. I washed with soap, 15 second scrub with chlorhexidine, and away I went!

I am not as thorough as you

I recently dig thru my left overs from my install date,
And I discovered my installer didn’t use any of the sterile fields… he packed all 3 into the box of left overs

Hmm

1 Like

Likely used their own? I mean, did they do anything to your hand?

Edit:
Misread field as fluid.

So yeah, I mean, as long as they didn’t dirty the needle during uncapping and handling, they don’t have to use it. I use them at work mainly to catch the blood, not to keep things sterile. If I have to set stuff down, they are great to have however

I mean my gloves, fields and dressing was never used, hell my piercer didn’t like the DT needle so he poped the chip out and put it in his own stuff.

as long as the piercer is a professional and knows what they are doing, I’d trust em.

Even as a pathology collector (I know taking blood isn’t the same as installs but they both involve needels) we did 4 hand washes (just hand sanitizer) before putting on gloves. We never did any up to elbow or scrubbing

We had a special lotion one that we could rub at work.

Concentric circle with chlorhexidine and let it dry is all I did.

I am curious about your job, as I collect blood too. I do not use Hamd San 4 times prior though, nor after.

1 Like

well, once as the patient comes in, once after you handle their referral,once after you set up your tools/space, then just before you glove. then once after the “procedure”.

4 before 1 after. The time when the patient comes in has nothing to do with sanitation (we clean our hands often anyway) but it is a hospitality technique taught to us to show the patient this is a safe and sterile environment.

Phlebotomy may be a medical job, but it feels so much like hospitality sometimes.

1 Like

What @Backpackingvet said is more important here. There is absolutely no reason you would ever touch the wound or needle or anything that would contaminate critical things. The glove is purely as a protective measure against blood from the victim err uh implantee accidentally get on you.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess for an injectable that makes sense. I was more thinking in general terms, like if you do a scalpel job. Although I suspect not very many people to self installs that way :slight_smile:

That’s what I like about you Rosco, your not afraid to admit when you are wrong

Kosher, That is an interesting approach for sterile fields :wink:

1 Like

It’s easy to admit when you’re wrong when you’re right 99% of the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, well played my friend :grin:

1 Like

Spot on.
I mean… I’ve seen so many times a professional wash their hands with Hibiscrub (decent medical-gradey product) for 2 full minutes, get those hands perfectly clean, then dress a glove from an open box… :sob:

Assuming there is no risk for the practitioner to get contaminated back (i.e. on a self install or a select few very edge cases), there is just no good reason for wearing gloves. From allergies to grip to many others…

But I can see why this thought process is rather counter-intuitive, therefore so easy to get to the wrong conclusions.

Spot on as well!
I think this one taking the cake home!
Happens far more often than you think!

Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit its happening its happening its happening its happening its happening. I was actually squealing in excitement over this post, I can’t believe I missed it, I have an idea, as you mentioned in the post the Apex will not immediately support tokenized payments but couldn’t one make an applet like the Welltmore Payment Implant with the iCard system, but something that works in the US (please make it work in the US).