Vivokey Spark - Datasheet and APIs

Hello all!

I was curious if there was any data sheets for the vivokey spark. I was also hoping to find more information on the AES128 functionality of the device. Can you encrypt the data stored in the NDEF records? If not, what is the expected use case? I understand that the vivokey spark is a bit more plug and play than the xNT, but was also wondering if you can interact with the device on a lower level like the xNT.

I am really looking forward to receiving my new vivokey spark and writing apps against the APIs that you guys are planning on releasing.

I can also send you guys an email requesting the same info if preferred.

Thanks!
M

2 Likes

First I want to say that it’s totally my fault for not preparing proper documentation for the Spark and VivoKey service platform before the Spark was released. We had several units shipped to various people early to prep them for launch and they ended up being implanted into people and then questions started flying so we went ahead and released the Spark and MVP version of the VivoKey service platform ahead of any documentation.

The chip in the Spark is an ICODE ISO15693 NFC Type 5 compliant chip.

The NDEF data of the Spark is pre-programmed with a unique Spark URL that directs to the VivoKey service platform. This URL is central to the function of the VivoKey profile service, is locked, and cannot be changed or written to. The AES function performs encryption in the chip. We pre-program AES keys into the Spark and these are used to authenticate the Spark to the VivoKey service platform. When you create a VivoKey profile, your Spark is linked to it cryptographically using those keys. The only way to access your profile or any services tied to it will be by scanning a chip that is associated with your profile. It is not possible at this time for customers to access or use those keys.

That’s great! The point of the Spark and VivoKey service platform is to keep expanding the utility of your implant! The APIs, bug fixes, and more platform features are due out in the next release of the app. I really can’t wait to see what developers create!

6 Likes

Thank you so much Amal for the info and quick response.

Bummer that the records aren’t editable, but I totally understand it with the plug and play concept for customers since it ties into the vivokey platform.

I love the work that you guys do and I can’t wait to see the platform and company grow!

Also can’t wait until the flex one leaves beta! Super excited for it.

Thanks again!
M

The goal is to basically make it just as functional on the NDEF side of things as an xNT might be, but all managed by the platform instead of having people fuss with writing data to it. The only limitation we can see at this point is creating custom data types for applications like on-phone task manager triggers, etc… but honestly, that’s more useful for adhesive stickers you place in cars and in the home to automate various mobile tasks… but even so, we may create a hook for the VivoKey app to perform tasks on the user’s phone upon scan while leaving the operation of sharing profile data or redirecting to a URL still functional for 3rd party scanners (other people’s phones)… so I guess in that way we will be able to do more than an xNT… huh… cool.

It’s growth will be fueled by people like you, so thank you!

Snag after snag keep holding us back, but it’s progressing… slowly. The VivoKey Flex One will allow all the functionality with the VivoKey platform as well as autonomous operation if you want to leverage isolated OTP key storage and code generation, U2F, PGP, etc. … I hope the current issues we face will be mitigated soon and we can move the Flex One to public beta soon.

2 Likes

Hey Amal,

One more question if you don’t mind.

I just received my spark and I noticed that this time there was an xLED HF box was packaged inside the plastic bag along with the rest of sterilized products (gauze pad, chloraprep, bandage, etc.). should I have any concern about how sterile the rest of the products are in the bag due to this?

It’s obviously still packaged outside of the injector but within the same overall bag as everything else that contains the materials required to safely perform the injection.

Also as a side note, it was not listed as being included on the spark page description nor was it an additional purchase that I made.

Thank you again!

Respectfully,
M

It is ok. The poly bag is meant to keep finger oils and physical perforation from affecting the injector pouch.

Correct… we made a recent change to the goodies included. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll update the product page.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Just wanted to double check. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a link to the public short data sheet for the ICODE chip that the Spark uses. There are a few different ICODE models, but only the ICODE DNA supports AES Encryption, so pretty sure this is the right one.

The full data sheet and the programming documentation (with the APDU commands) are not publicly available.

3 Likes

Oh man, I was thinking this was going to have functionality akin to the flex one. I didn’t realize this was just intended as a plug and play option. I’m a little disappointed because when I was reading though the payments post it just alluded to Vivokey as having the ability to run Java applets, and it didn’t mention a specific product.

Will the spark ever be able to do 2fa, payments or crypto accounting or is that only something the Flex One can accomplish?

I like how simple it was to set up my business card. Crushed that.

Not natively on chip, but we may have a platform version of such. For instance, when you say “2fa” that is very generic… our validation API is exactly meant for this kind of two-factor, but it is not the “OATH / OTP” version you may be thinking. Here is an example video showing our pre-release API doing 2fa for authentication using OAuth2, as well as a transaction authorization using the validation API.

More features will be added to the platform in the future, so the Spark will be useful for API integration as shown above, but we also plan on using as a security mechanism for future VivoKey services. That also includes accessory hardware we are also working on.

5 Likes

Great! So it will be utilizing the web functionality of whatever device is connected rather than native processing. So no fidesmo, yes venmo :slight_smile:. I have a way better understanding now. Thank you.

3 Likes

Is there sample code/demo for 2FA?

1 Like

Im Impressed by the speed of the validation test in the vivocoin demo :slight_smile:
Wondering though, vivocoin? :slight_smile: real plan on a future cryptocoin launch by DT? or just demo?

Just a demo… we have no value add for a real vivocoin… at least not yet anyway.

Ok, then I know, thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

this would be for the vivokey spark on store now? I would like to know how much data I can store on it.
It would be nice to see something like the desire spec sheet.

You can’t write to the VivoKey spark. Only authenticate on VivoKey enabled apps, websites and devices

So it’s just an Authenticator, like the google authenticator app for Android?

I was hoping to put a fob key or contact information on it. Maybe unlock my cell phone or keep some data on it. Does anyone here have one? Maybe you can share what you do with it specifically. If I know what it does then maybe I won’t even put one in.

The Spark is only intended to work with the VivoKey platform. It’s intended to be a cryptographically secure identifier that will replace logins and passwords for a variety of services. Some current goals are access control, One-Time-Password generation, PGP message encryption, and eventually MasterCard transactions.As the number of VivoKey products and integrated services grows, it will continue to gain utility.

The xNT and flexDF are more intended to write small bits of data (like a URL, contact info or a WiFi password) to, and will also spit out their unique identifier (UID) when scanned by a phone. I use my flexDF to unlock my phone and I used to use it to unlock my car (but it was rather finicky). They’re fun, but their uses are limited and they really don’t provide any security beyond physical distance.

There are pros and cons to both. The Spark might not be able to do much yet, but it will continue to grow throughout this year and into the future. Soon enough you’ll be able use it to unlock your phone, but in a truly secure way. It will also be plug-and-play. There is a small barrier to entry with the xNT and flexDF because you need to learn a bunch about the tech to manage it yourself.

If you want to do some stuff with your implant right now, you could consider getting one of those other tags. Truth be told you can just buy a NTAG216 sticker for $1 online and stick it to your pocketbook to get the same functionality. Implanting a VivoKey product is becoming part of an ecosystem.

3 Likes

You cannot put a fob key serial number onto the Spark, but you could use it as one with the appropriate hardware. You can also share contact information by opting to set the Spark to share your VivoKey profile when scanned. You could theoretically unlock your phone with it since Smart Unlock (R.I.P.) on Android used the UID (serial number).

True.

1 Like