Wanted to Share

Hello, lately I have been trying to translate the Vivokey chipscanlib into an Arduino sketch. The chipscanlib has a lot to unpack, so currently I have only worked towards Spark 2 capabilities (my implant of choice.) AT THIS TIME THE SKETCH DOES NOT WORK. But I believe it is very close… The sketch is dependent on the ArduinoJson Library and the Seeed-Studio PN532 Library. I’m not a professional coder and I don’t know how to use Github, so please take this collection of code snippets that I haphazardly threw together with a grain of salt. I tried my best to comment everything.

NOTES:
Written for ESP32-DEVKIT V1.
Uses the Touchpad-Wakeup to boot up when a specific capacitive pin is touched to save energy.
Success is marked by pin 22 turning on then off, and the onboard led flashing.

IMPORTANT:
The default SPI clock speed of the ESP32 is too high for the PN532. The SPI clock speed is set by the PN532 library to 1/8th the CPU clock speed, this means by default the SPI clock speed will be 30MHz. The problem with this is, the PN532 has a maximum SPI clock speed of 5MHz. To fix this, we can either slow the CPU by using the Arduino IDE, or we can edit the PN532 Library to set a larger divider. Since lowering the CPU speed enough will disable WIFI/BLE communication, a larger divider is the only option. To do this, open PN532_SPI.cpp and change:

_spi->setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV8);

To:

_spi->setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV64);

Now when the CPU clock speed is 240MHz, the SPI clock speed will be 3.75MHz. Perfect for a PN532.

The Sketch: https://github.com/AbbottDSmith/ArduinoVivokey/blob/main/PN532-Vivokey.ino

Since it is the projects category, here is my setup that I dipped in resin Ft. the first PCB I ever designed:

5 Likes

I have written basic instructions for using git before, I will see if I can dig them up, or if I have to I will rewrite them.

It is normal just to give the URL of the repository so people can clone it directly. So your repository is at

And anyone interested can download a copy by using

git clone https://github.com/AbbottDSmith/ArduinoVivokey

I hope that this helps.

2 Likes

Hi, can you explain what this does? Maybe it’s clear from what’s written, but I did not understand

It is partially complete code for scanning a Vivokey spark2 using an esp32 and a pn532 NFC reader chip.

The microcontroller used is pretty cheap, and has wifi capabilities built in.

What is special with reading spark2?

theworldmayneverknow-idk
Honestly, I don’t know alot about it, so I’m going to post this gif to “bump” the topic so there can be a higher chance that a knowledgeable person with spare time can answer you.

It’s not typical basic NDEF. You don’t just read/write data. The Spark does way more.

The spark reports back a url, but that’s not the interesting part, that is the cryptography it can do, which VivoKey APIs use to prove it’s really this specific implant that is talking with VK.

You have to tell the spark what to do, you need to send and understand APDUs so it can solve the challenges the VK api requires.

1 Like

Thanks,
Makes me ask more intriguing questions.

Do you need a special reader for that? You can’t have the same read with acr?

The Spark2 was released without a matching reader?

No no any good NFC reader can do that, anyone that says it can talk to smartcards I guess.

If my understanding is correct any Wifi-enabled 13.56MHz NFC reader can use the Spark 2’s cryptography. So, smart phones with NFC capabilities would be the closest thing to a “matched reader” for the Spark 2.

Sadly smartphones start to get expensive when you want to place a few Spark 2 mutual authenticators around the house. Which is why I’m attempting to make this reader.

1 Like

We may explore, at one point down the road, the ability to register a public key with our API such that we can then export a private aes key for spark and spark 2. These chips have 3 user keys programmed. We use one key for API, one key will be used for physical access control type hardware from VivoKey, but the 3rd we’ve always contemplated letting users export that key and use for their own offline chip scan validation directly.

3 Likes

This! I would love this!

I would appreciate having the opportunity to personally compromise one of my three keys. Especially if it means offline chip scan validation for the Spark 2.

1 Like

We will see about it. The key permissions are such that the key cannot be changed… like, there is no way for us to allow key 2 to change itself and not totally open the rest of the chip to bad things, so once the key is exported to the VivoKey member, it’s out “in the wild”.

1 Like

This would save me alot of time and headaches right about now… Are these products coming soon™?

I’m still working on my rendition of a Vivokey xac but I seem to be missing information about a crucial step between receiving a challenge from the get-challenge endpoint, and posting to the pcd-challenge endpoint. Help from anyone would be appreciated.

Just to tie up loose ends, My headaches were caused by my UID having the wrong endianness, the project is now functional!

2 Likes

Verified from the Lock Picking Lawyer?

1 Like

possibly… though the solutions we are looking at involve retrofitting overtop of existing lock hardware… so more of a lock manipulator instead of a lock. The reason for this is that many people rent and are not allowed to change the locks… but usually there is nothing in any lease agreements about adding lock manipulation hardware to actuate existing locking mechanisms themselves.

2 Likes

This is something I very much want, I never got around to exploring that one lock actuator… I couldn’t figure out how to tie an xACv2 into it

1 Like