Wearable Countermeasures

Chain mail should not block the field: the magnetic field should warp around each link and then continue forward.

You might want some copper faraday shield mesh gloves.
(Carbon fiber also works wonders and is cheaper, but copper has higher absorption, especially on HF)

never seen it up for sale at “glove” form-factor, but you can find the fabric for sale fairly easy, then just stitch a patch of it inside a nice pair of gloves.

2 Likes

I believe the general consensus was that unlike what people think, Defcon is actually pretty safe in terms of personal device security, and they’re not going to be waving a NFCKill around in case it fries passports, credit cards, etc.

Saying that - don’t challenge people to hack / destroy your implants, because they will give it their best shot then.

2 Likes

For the slightly newer peeps, this was the reference for the discussion

1 Like

I’m just giving defcon a hard time, if anything it’s a compliment to the ingenuity and tenacity of the crowd

However the hacker crowd will always involve some level of fuckery

1 Like

Oh yeah, people definitely attempt things, and yeah there’s a lot of fuckery - but they don’t try to ruin people (e.g. wall of sheep redacts email addresses)

1 Like

You can protect your implants with a small patch of Pyralux film taped to your hand covering more than half of the antenna.

2 Likes

I don’t have any high power readers, but my phone can’t read through a bit of aluminum foil ducting tape, it’s cheap and could be stuck on in a few seconds and worn under gloves, though something more powerful like a proxmark might be able to read through it, but I doubt it

2 Likes

For the record, a Proxmark isn’t especially powerful. Quite the contrary actually.

2 Likes

If I remember watching their promo video, dude rigged it in a brief case, and walked around collecting.

To me that is powerful. It is passive on the guys part, and he doesn’t have to make motions towards yo stuff.

No, he isn’t standing 50 yards away, which is also powerful.

I really want to see that bit of magic, if it didn’t happen with an amplified front-end :slight_smile:

No way in hell the PM can do that - unless you rub the briefcase against the target’s pants, or at least bring it close enough to be construed as a frotteur.

It had a huge antenna. I am sure there was more going on than I realize. I am not as tech savvy as most of the regular people here are.

I gotta get ready for work, but I will see if I can find which one I was talking about in a bit.

Ah yes, maybe with the large HF antenna with full size cards, that might bring a bit more range. I’m still not sure it would be terribly discreet though.

1 Like

I cannot find the video I looked at. I did find close to what the guy has in a messenger bag though. It resembled this.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tastic+rfid+thief

2 Likes

Like I said, that ain’t no Proxmark. That’s a high-power LF reader, very similar to the ones I use with my foot implant. Those read from a mile away.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong here.

1. This could be brought someplace and be very inconspicuous.

2. It could “read” the rfid chips around it.

That is all I was getting at. Not specifically that it was a proxmark.

Could you not juice up the antenna in conjunction with a Proxmark though?

There are some “long range” Proxmark antennas available in HF and LF

I imagine their range would be much better than the basic Proxmark antennas, but I doubt their range would compare to the modified dedicated readers as used in the Tastic thief.

I’ve seen rfid protection backpacks to protect electronics and rfid protection cards to protect debit cards and credit cards and such but has anyone thought of making gloves to protect rfid chips we have implanted?

I don’t know of any. The convenience of having an implant would be negated by the gloves and the range of glassies is pretty small to be a concern for most people.

And you get to choose what to use your implants for and what to keep as cards in a shielded wallet.

However, if you need to protect an implant, taping a piece of aluminum foil over the chip should be enough. Just be careful not to cut yourself with the foil.
Alternatively, placing a magnet on an implant could saturate the ferrite and temporarily trow off the RF tuning. However, the pressure that this creates is not good for the health of the skin and I recommend avoiding this.

1 Like

Kinda…

1 Like