What are you making ⚒️ / 3D printing 🖨

Thanks, getting better and better. Had the post opp checkup and ask the doc to X-ray the implant to make sure it has no damages.
The X-ray operator was a bit confused and the doctor was really curious about it. No one at the hospital had ever seen one before :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Post a copy of that in the X-Rays thread!

And I hope that you have an uneventful recovery!

Did the doctor agree on the awesomeness of RFID implants?

2 Likes

Didn’t post, but last week before I got deathly sick
I decided to try to print some minis, just so see what I can do…

I of course found the most ridiculous ones I could, except for the archer… I’ve printed that before on fdm and wanted a side by side comparison

Apparently there’s been some kind of super respiratory bug going around work… worse than Covid, but not… I guess that’s what I got… just bad timing on new printer caused paranoia

3 Likes

Ouch, that doesn’t sound fun! Glad you’re doing better, and that it wasn’t your set up lol
Those look awesome!

ive been making fully resin printed gamecube controllers with replaceable gates, usb-c, and and extra z button (L1/LB)
they have a custom board that has an RP2040

3 Likes

Thanks, I looked for that thread, but couldn’t find it :sweat_smile:

The X-ray tech was a bit confused on how to scan it (every tech in the building came to check out the x-rays :rofl:), but the doctor was super curious, he heard about it, but never seen one before. Talked about RFID and how it works. The actual image on the computer looks so crisp you can the the winding around the core and the 2 chip back to back. I was blown away by the details. The picture of the screen is super craptastic … :unamused:

Sometimes I use my linux and windows pc or raspberry pi at the same time with different wired keyboards. I used to get annoyed at myself for using the wrong keyboard. So I designed and printed a dual level keyboard stand.

8 Likes

They are great!
I especially liked the one in the first photo.

I made a thing today

I explored many different options before realizing the simplest option was the best
It’s tiny and might get even smaller
I’m also going to 3D print a tiny little case for it

I see that it uses a USB C connector but I’m still curious about what it is. Is it a light of some sort?

Nope not a light, although with reverse charging you could make a pretty decent flash light out of a phone :thinking:
Good guess though, try again :wink:

LF antenner fer ya phone.

Nah :magnet:

• a tiny camera
  • a thermal sensor
  • a buzzer / haptic feedback thingy
  • an alien probe
1 Like

Yes, an inductor using usb-c audio output.
It’s definitely usable like that but I would like to amplify things a bit. The issue is I can’t figure out a way to get both the usb’s 5v reverse charging to power the amp AND audio output. Otherwise I would have to add onboard power which sucks

I haven’t tried a custom coil yet, maybe that could help

i think you just have to tell the phone that you are a peripheral and the phone port needs to be in host mode… then it should supply power. this is different from “reverse charging” or “power sharing” which is high current output.

It’s a bit more complicated because I’m using a DAC (ALC5686) and as far as I can tell it registers as a host. I also tried pulling power on the USB in parallel despite that but everything freaks out eventually.
I wonder if I can use a tiny Arduino to do all that manually :thinking:

yeah you might have to put another usb chip in front to do comms with the phone as a periph and com with the backend DAC over another data channel

1 Like

Yeah… I think making a better coil will be a better option :sweat_smile: USB C is a mess and I doubt I can set up something like that anytime soon. The performance is not too bad for the intended purpose anyway.

The question is, can you fry a DAC by blasting it with its own output signal? We’ll find out :joy:

Edit: I don’t know if you can hear the excitement in my voice bt YES a custom made coil is about 0.5 gazillion times better. I don’t think I need an amp anymore. I’m going to try and optimize the shape now.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with those small usb-c DACs/amps like the alc5686?
I have no interest in the sound quality but rather in the loudness. Comparing datasheets it seems they all do 30mW @ 32Ohms or close so presumably the same.

But then I saw one that said “65mW thrust”. I’m not sure what thrust means maybe it’s peak performance and it’s the same as the others overall?

It’s kinda had to find info about the amplification since they usually qualify as DACs, not amps and the are used for audio quality. I don’t think you can do too much amplification without external power but maybe?