What are you making ⚒️ / 3D printing 🖨

I level my bed about every spool … and add spray every 1 to 2 spools …

I find changing filament the most tedious part of the whole process … If/when I change printer it’s definitely going to be with a multi-filament system so I can have a few different materials and color ready to go :+1:

I wrote some gcode to semi automate filament changes on my ender

1 Like

I should probably get a CR Touch for my Ender but it has been a frustrating machine and I’ve spent enough money on it already. So I’m wondering if I should buy a more expensive machine in hopes that it won’t become a money pit like the E3?

How do you doi it?
Do you send gcode manually to the machine or you have a print file that you run and go through the steps?

My bed stay level really well over time, I rarely touch it.
What are you seeing?
Maybe we can help making it more reliable for you

i use the silicone bed blocks. i never touch my bed leveling knobs. I also have a BL Touch which auto levels in Klipper for me every print.

I would like this filament change macro. I tried writing one but i couldnt co-ordinate it with the runout sensor.

Didn’t have photos of my recent projects when I first stumbled across this thread, had to double back.

Hanging egg hide requested by my partner for a micro gecko terrarium.

Feeding trays for my dubia roach colonies.

Feeding ledge requested by my partner for a crested gecko terrarium.

Interesting failure I’ve had 3x on this print now. I thought it was a corruption in the .pm3n file after the second time, but I resliced a fresh .stl saved straight from CAD on the third and got the same weird stringers. Vat was cleaned between each print.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The anti​:no_entry_sign:-derailment​:railway_car: & thread​:thread: hijacking​:gun: thread​:thread: :interrobang:

XMagic crew unite

2 Likes

Sorry meant to respond
Yea I have it set up as a print file, I click print on it
(Octoprint, the pause setting doesn’t seem to work great or reliably on the printer board)

I’ll post code in a second, I can log in and steal the file

I’ve been printing a lot of ASA and managed to wear out three BuildTak like beds. I also have some problems with the squareness and rigidity of the gantry so I ordered additional screws to try out a few ideas but I’m still waiting for those to arrive. And I’m also waiting for a PEI bed.

Regarding other problems, I have a high flow hotend sitting in a box because I couldn’t never get it to work right. And I have an SKR Mini E3 V3 but I have to recompile Marlin and tweak a few things so that it prints reliably.

I’m wondering if I should get a CR Touch for it but I’m hesitant as my experience has been a bit of a roller coaster.

I recommend the bltouch. Cr touch is essentially the same but my experience is with the bl touch. It makes leveling absolutely a second thought

filament change gcode … use at your own risk

M106 ; turn on the fan
M117 Heating Both ; LCD message

M104 S230 T0 ; set the filament change temperature to 230°C and continue
M140 S65 ; Heat the bed to reach 65°C

G91 ; sets the coordinates relatively
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G21 ; set unit measures in metric
G28 ; Auto Home
G1 Z150 X110 Y110 F2000 ; Raise the nozzle 50 mm for easy filament change in due course and center bed
M109 S230 T0 ; wait to reach the nozzle temperature 230°C

M300 S400 P300 : G4 P500

M117 Filament Removal … ; LCD message
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E3 F300 ; perge some filament before retraction
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E-200 F2000 ; quantity of filament to be retracted in mm
M400 ; wait for the previous function to complete
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E-200 F2000
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E-80 F2000

M117 Insert New Filament ; LCD message. Usually doesn’t work as the pause command supresses this massage with “Click to continue …”.

M84 E ; Disable stepper of the Extruder for easy load filament

; NOW INSERT THE FILAMENT THROUGH THE EXTRUDER UNTIL IT REACHES THE ENTRY OF THE PTEF TUBE. DON’T OVER INSERT. THE FILAMENT SHOULD ENTER THE TUBE MAX. 1CM.
M25; waits

G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E200 F2000 ; quantity of filament to be inserted in mm
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E150 F2000

M117 Purge… ; LCD message
G92 E0 ; reset extruder
G1 E50 F100 ; final purge at low speed to clean the nozzle

M117 Filament Changed ; LCD message unless it’s not suppressed by the firmware

M104 S0 T0; set the temperature of the extruder to 0°C
M140 S0 ; set the bed temprature to 0°C

G28 ; Auto Home
M84 ; disable steppers
G90 ; sets the coordinates absolute

I borrowed some elements from something else a while ago, no idea where I got it from, so don’t give me credit or blame lol

The pause feature is fairly broken using sd cards, least for me

In octoprint it pauses in the UI and I can hit resume

2 Likes

Why do you heat the bed for a filament change?

Usually if I’m doing a filament change, I’m about to print something… and my bed is the slowest thing to heat up… so get the bed already warmed up… it also takes a while to cool off

I also over heat it, always 230… just because then I can use the same script for petg or pla

It’s usually only heated that high for a minute or 2, so it’s been fine

3 Likes

Also makes the auto-home at the beginning of the print take less from the heat “battery” you have built up in the hotend. In my experience it’ll drop 10°c-20°c from when it starts to home to when it decides to start heating the hotend again.

1 Like

Bingo……
If I was motivated I could flip it around so it homes before it cooldowns

But I don’t care enough… the 80% first try was good enough and I don’t have enough motivation to go back in lol

Hey @amal, how do you like your bambu? I was eyeing it for a while and still cannot make my mind between it and prusa mk4. I really would like to support prusa because of the opensource nature of things.

for me, i like it. yes it is connected to the cloud and talks to china for basically everything and they still have not enabled “local LAN only” operation after a year+ of promising it… but yeah with the AMS it does exactly what I want… i don’t touch it for days or weeks, then when I need something I turn it on and hit print and it prints perfectly and I turn it off. great.

4 Likes

In all my reading that would be my choice if I had the expendable income for it. But I do like to tinker so I don’t mind my ender

this is one of the down sides to businessing… the transition from garage tinkerer to desk jockey is difficult to resist.

1 Like