What are you making ⚒️ / 3D printing 🖨

Not surprised but still… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Saw that. I’m honestly not sure how much I trust that. He hasn’t provided any proof of any of his accusations as far as I’ve seen. He’s gone on Bambu Lab rants before, despite the MK4 and Prusa XL still not being open source hardware (specifically claiming that the MK4 was no longer an i3 machine, specifically to skirt the license he created for the machines, requiring that the hardware be open-source).

He’s also talked about MakerWorld copying them, when Printables copied Thingiverse to a massive degree, and added print file uploads for Prusa machines. Now he’s annoyed that Bambu is doing the same?

Regardless of what Prusa has said, they seem to have implemented a decent copyright claim system on their site, and it’s functional. That’s a good sign IMO.

EDIT: Looked at their evidence on twitter, it looks like they’re primarily mad about their method of testing their import feature? They posted test models, and put a link in their Printables bio. The exact same workflow that Printables uses for thingiverse import… They had to have tested it a similar way when they build their import feature lmfao

Mad that “tens of accounts” were doing it.

3 Likes

Bambu Lab’s response.

2 Likes

6 Likes

It was extremely foggy/hazy outside, to the point where I couldn’t even see Jupiter at the end, and only got a little bit of footage to process, but here’s what I got of Jupiter:

Not fantastic, but you can see the banding at least.

Also took some of the moon, although I need to make a 2" clamp for my 30mm eyepiece, would get a much wider FOV.

Hopefully can give it a better go tonight, if weather holds up. Would really like to capture Saturn, and get more detail and color with Jupiter.

Overall though, the mount held up really well.

9 Likes

For being captured with a smartphone, that is very impressive! Can’t wait to see it on a clear day.

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The anti​:no_entry_sign:-derailment​:railway_car: & thread​:thread: hijacking​:gun: thread​:thread: :interrobang:

Clamp made for my giant 2 inch 30mm eyepiece :slight_smile:

The best part of 3D printing and modern CAD. I edited two measurements in OnShape, and I instantly had a new clamp the right size. Could theoretically even use a variable and make it even easier to make different clamp sizes, but there are only two common sizes with telescopes.

Should be able to take a full pic of the full moon this way.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Maybe just me, I think a single extension would have been funnier, it’s almost too much?

However… given that I’m on a whole automation kick

Motorizing it would be pretty funny

4 Likes

I’d do this and the finger would break off and travel at Mach Jesus through my damn monitor

A friend did that showing me his expandable baton :rofl:

The Bambu Lab X1E has been completely leaked via FCC publishings

Looks like the single biggest difference is adding an Ethernet port (likely focusing on enterprise), everything else seems extremely similar to the X1C. EDIT: Also has a heated chamber and higher temp hot end.

This is the quick start manual:
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=6830025&iframe

This is the little leaflet:
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=6830038&iframe

I thought this was a neat feature to add, for those with Bambu paranoia.

External photos:

Here’s the actual fccid.io page:
https://fccid.io/2A6J8-PF001E

1 Like

Working for a company that does gov stuff sometimes, and having to deal with even their most basic cyber security stuffs

Id take a bet this isn’t targeted for individuals, but organizations that currently want to buy a lot of machines but aren’t “allowed” to use them currently

1 Like

Yep, targeting enterprise use. Very smart on their end, and should ensure their longterm success.

It’ll probably be a significantly higher price for that reason.

Technically there’s no difference between Wi-Fi and ethernet port… It puts you on the network. The bastardization of the term Wi-Fi to mean internet and not simply a wireless connection to a network has become so ubiquitous that I feel this comment resulted from this misrepresentation.

Connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet port is irrelevant, the paranoia stems from the necessity for the unit to talk to China to function with its desired feature set. I would be totally fine if the machine had Wi-Fi only as long as the slicer running on my laptop could do its job independently of the internet and print the file in the same handy dandy way it works when prints flow through China.

Doubling down here, it’s not the print function that drives the paranoia, it’s the need for the machine to be connected to China at all and what potential attack surfaces it could make available inside a local network through that connection. Either through Bambu themselves or through a third party exploiting that connection to Bambu.

3 Likes

I’m sticking to Prusa Slicer and Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi for the time being. Works great and it doesn’t use someone else’s computer. I do want a better and more reliable printer so I’m looking at what Prusa is doing. Sure, their printers are not nearly as fast and are not enclosed but I’ve been printing ASA successfully on an Ender 3 for some time now so this is not a concern for me.

On the subject of Bambu and Prusa, I suspect that one of the main reasons why they managed to make the A1 significantly faster than the Prusa Mini is the belt tension. I’ve tried the Prusa belt tension website and it recommends going on the loose side, this helps a lot with long term precision and reliability but limits the maximum acceleration of the printer.

I still need to look into the privacy of OctoEverywhere for remote monitoring but I think I’m good with being able to print from the slicer.

And off course, Marlin allows you to print from an SD card and this is very useful and I’ve used USB Automount to get the same functionality out of Klipper.

Also, I have one question for Bambu users; can you use a different slicer?

2 Likes

Man I really would love to convert you out of octopi. Moonraker and fluids do a wonderful job with it isn’t as polished. I had some severe bottlenecking with octopi.

Yes, but the nice thing about it is them seemingly leaning more into LAN-only mode, with no contact needed with external servers.

You mentioned you had issues running it isolated, I tested my P1S on LAN-only mode, and was able to connect and push prints with no internet connection, just both my PC and printer connected to my router.

The kill switches in particular are definitely meant to alleviate fears some people had, not all of them practical fears.

I don’t mind people having paranoia about their cloud services, that is warranted, but I’ve seen people afraid that the wifi module was sniffing local traffic and shit. Just complete BS.

Yes. You can use any slicer you’d like, and put the files on the SD card.

Another note: Bambu Studio itself is open source, the network plug in is not. You can choose to not install the network plugin at all, same with OrcaSlicer, a fork of Bambu Studio. Can build either fully from source.

I’m using Mainsail for a printed printer project but still have to try Fluidd. I use Octoprint because it works with Marlin but I might install Klipper on my Ender 3 at some point.