What is the best way to store cryptocurrency?

What is the best way to store cryptocurrency? So far I’ve only come up with the idea of storing raw bip38 private keys in text profiles but its not so easily managed with current applications.

Ideally everything could be managed through a phone and then locked up again for quick transactions. What is everyone using?

2 Likes

We are developing VivoKey to act as a hardware wallet. Your keys need never be exported, since the crypto-transaction can be signed in vivo. Aside from that, I think people generally keep a wallet address printed on paper stored in multiple physical locations to keep the bulk of their currency in, then transfer “usable” amounts to wallets stored on phones and other insecure devices.

4 Likes

What is the current status of the vivo key project? I’ve noticed its been a long time. What are the current barriers to completing a polished product. I’d be happy to contribute but I do not have much programming skills.

At this point I am just waiting for software side to finish before I install the implant.

Does anyone know what martijn wismeijer uses for his implant payment?

1 Like

VivoKey is on hold waiting on NXP to release the final production version of their latest secure element chip. We got some advance R&D samples we used to build prototypes with, and the original release date for these chips was December 2016, but that date slid to March 2017, then it got pushed again to July 2017. We have the materials, the antennas, and the manufacturing process sorted out, we are just waiting for chips and some final tweaks to the personalization process to be sorted out with the production chips.

Martijn uses our xNT implants, but of course they are not secure.

1 Like

I have also updated our “payment” faq entry; https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/making-payments-with-an-implant

Bitcoin has grown considerably in popularity over the past year, with prices surging and more and more cryptocurrency followers joining the field. Bitcoins are held in wallets and traded through digital currency exchanges like Coinbase. There are various security risks inherent in each of these two components. Here are a few ways to store your Bitcoins that may be safer than others.

Desktop Wallet
A desktop wallet offers a number of advantages over an online wallet. While online wallets are easily accessed from anywhere in the world, they are also more vulnerable to potential hacking. Thus, exposure of your security key online is reduced.

Hardware Wallet
More secure than a desktop wallet is a hardware wallet. These wallets are bits of hardware, external devices like USB sticks which you can carry around on your person. An added benefit of a hardware wallet is the complete anonymity with which you can transact.

Paper Wallet
A paper wallet is also a relatively safe way of storing Bitcoin, although it requires a bit more advanced understanding of how digital currencies work.

Physical Coins
Services are cropping up which allow Bitcoin investors to buy physical Bitcoins. The coin you purchase will have a tamper-proof sticker covering a predetermined amount of Bitcoin

3 Likes

The best way is to find crypto with a great potential (which price is expected to rise soon) and to find stock exchange with profitable conditions. Then you should invest in this crypto (before other dudes do the same) and get profit. Everything genial is simple))

Have you heard about the collaboration of MobileGo (responsible for MGO tokens) with Xsolla (world-known for its payment services)? These are very serious companies, not the mayflies.
In my opinion it will have beneficial effect on MGO price. I mean its rising in the near future. What’s your opinion about it?
As for bitcoin I don’t put my complete confidence it it…

Necro bump with this I know.
While development has been steady there isn’t much news on features like this for the Spark.
Has there been any new developments on stuff like this?

I think that the types of solutions here will be related to the API - vivokey.com/api - where the keys and the functions are stored or performed elsewhere, but the chip can be used to secure access to those keys and / or functions. For example, updating a wallet app to keep keys encrypted until authorized by chip scan is one option that a few people have explored before… green wallet I think was one of those projects. I am unsure if any have actually been published though.

1 Like

Cool. That’s also an option.
I’m not sure anyone would want to keep a large amount of crypto on an implant yet but being part of the transaction authorization like you said is doable.
I will dig around as several people use nfc tags for authorization of their transactions with several wallets. Hopefully I can find some options we might be able to use. I will do some digging and post what I find.
Thanks for the info.

3 Likes

An encrypted BIP32 implementation to augment and backup my hardware wallets (Trezor) would be perfect.

3 Likes

Been messing with the Trezor it is something that might be doable. Their SDK is the industry standard.

2 Likes

thank you for the details

Unfortunately, most of this is just key escrow dressed up with the server holding keys and granting/denying access.

Yep… the only other option is to develop an applet for the Flex One… and wait until we release it of course.

2 Likes