When apex comes out, How important is an NFC phone?

So, im planning on getting an apex when they come out, and I’m also looking at getting a new phone soon. Some of my top choices for the new phone don’t have NFC however…

How important will that be with an apex? Should I spend a bit extra for a phone with NFC?

What are you looking into? Personally, I never really use a computer, so I only use my phone with my implants. (Have a pm3 easy for sale if anyone wants that stupid thing)

Im definately looking at the budget end of things.

Curently im looking at a Moto g power (no nfc), Nokia 7.2 (has nfc but is pricier), Samsung Galaxy A51 (on th e list but havent read into yet), TCL 10L (on list, not looked at yet), and maybe a pixel 3a or 4a when it arrives.

Any other suggestions are welcome since im still halfway through doing the research.

What about a second hand higher spec’d phone as an option? Never really ideal, But cheaper than new, but more capable?

If your phone doesn’t have NFC, you can just buy a used moto x for $25 on ebay

Derailment warning

Are you still having issues, buddy?
have you had any luck at all?

aww :slightly_frowning_face:

ANYWAY
higher spec used: probably an option but as you said, not preferred. plus, some of the ones in my budget lineup do have nfc so the question is more of if i should eliminate the others as options.

@Malcolm cheap secondary for just this purpose, I like the idea and actually had someone on here offer to send me their old NFC capable phone a while ago so I could probably use that.

the problem is I don’t want to carry 2 phones and I don’t know how often I will need to scan my own apex since I don’t have it yet. Maybe @fraggersparks or @amal can answer that since they are working on it.
I would assume I would only scan my own to set it up or log into things, in which case I’m probably home and have the second phone nearby but I don’t know.

True, They would be the best to answer, but if I can offer a suggestion!?

If you look at some of the planned applets, that may help you decide on how frequently you would likely use your NFC phone

Out of your phone selections, the Samsung looks best to me. The NFC is market dependent though.

Well, most of those are acronyms that im not entirely sure the meaning of but NDEF and tesla seem to be ‘set once’ and use on devices other than my phone. but the unknown acronyms could be something useful and if its possible to have multiple cards stored on the apex and switch between them, i will probably use that fairly often…

noted. does that second part mean that the nfc is only on phones sold in the other side of the world? if so that’s an issue… (im in the US)

In the user manual you can download, it mentions turning NFC on and off.

Alright then, your link is to the a71 not the a51 but i double checked and thte 51 does have it. that will bump it up on my list of options. Thank you.

It’s pretty important, I would recommend buying a phone with NFC. I use my implant daily for 2FA.

1 Like

My bad!

oh, good point! i kinda forgot about that thanks.

I SAW THAT PILGRIM! im waiting for you to finish…

1 Like

Haha, Thanks for your patience
Here you go…

OTP
One-time password

A one-time password, also known as one-time pin or dynamic password, is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction

PGP
Pretty Good Privacy ( PGP ) is an encryption program that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication for data communication. PGP is used for signing, encrypting, and decrypting texts, e-mails, files, directories, and whole disk partitions and to increase the security of e-mail communications

U2F
Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) is an open standard that strengthens and simplifies two-factor authentication (2FA) using near-field communication (NFC)

KeePass
Password Safe is a free and open-source password manager

GIDS
Generic Identity Device Specification (GIDS) for Smart Card Authentication. GIDS sets out the functionality of a physical identity device that can be used for authentication, such as a smart card or USB token. GIDS is a standard for smart cards that enables them to be used for authentication
( I didn’t know this one either)

PIV
Personal Identity Verification

WebAuthn
Web Authentication , the new API that can replace passwords with strong authentication.

1 Like

Well thank you very much for the breakdown for the breakdown.
this is gonna be tough… I’ll probably keep doing a little more research tonight and then sleep on it for a while since im not in any rush. I might even end up waiting untill the apex releases… Thanks for the info!

Could be worthwhile looking at flagship level phones from a generation or 2 back? Their prices tend to plummet so something like the Galaxy S9 could be in your price range and you’ll probably still be able to find a brand new handset with higher specs than a newer more budget handset

1 Like

Good thought, ill look into it.

In my experience, buying budget phones to save money is a false economy.

• Lower end specs so less future proof, so you’ll ‘buy it twice’ in the long run.

• Spare parts (batteries, screens, etc) can be harder to find and not every repair shop knows how to repair them/keeps parts in stock. You can get a Galaxy or iPhone screen replaced for under $100 anywhere in less than an hour.

• Loss of features/experience, a budget phone feels budget, and if you need a feature like NFC in 2 years it’s not going to get its saving long term.

My philosophy is to buy once and cry once. It’s more money upfront but about the same in the long term for a much better experience. I get a phone that’s ‘last years model’ or newer and drive it into the ground - usually about 4-5 years out of a phone, cheaper per-year than any budget that’d be anywhere near as nice to use.

1 Like