When apex comes out, How important is an NFC phone?

In the user manual you can download, it mentions turning NFC on and off.

Alright then, your link is to the a71 not the a51 but i double checked and thte 51 does have it. that will bump it up on my list of options. Thank you.

It’s pretty important, I would recommend buying a phone with NFC. I use my implant daily for 2FA.

1 Like

My bad!

oh, good point! i kinda forgot about that thanks.

I SAW THAT PILGRIM! im waiting for you to finish…

1 Like

Haha, Thanks for your patience
Here you go…

OTP
One-time password

A one-time password, also known as one-time pin or dynamic password, is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction

PGP
Pretty Good Privacy ( PGP ) is an encryption program that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication for data communication. PGP is used for signing, encrypting, and decrypting texts, e-mails, files, directories, and whole disk partitions and to increase the security of e-mail communications

U2F
Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) is an open standard that strengthens and simplifies two-factor authentication (2FA) using near-field communication (NFC)

KeePass
Password Safe is a free and open-source password manager

GIDS
Generic Identity Device Specification (GIDS) for Smart Card Authentication. GIDS sets out the functionality of a physical identity device that can be used for authentication, such as a smart card or USB token. GIDS is a standard for smart cards that enables them to be used for authentication
( I didn’t know this one either)

PIV
Personal Identity Verification

WebAuthn
Web Authentication , the new API that can replace passwords with strong authentication.

1 Like

Well thank you very much for the breakdown for the breakdown.
this is gonna be tough… I’ll probably keep doing a little more research tonight and then sleep on it for a while since im not in any rush. I might even end up waiting untill the apex releases… Thanks for the info!

Could be worthwhile looking at flagship level phones from a generation or 2 back? Their prices tend to plummet so something like the Galaxy S9 could be in your price range and you’ll probably still be able to find a brand new handset with higher specs than a newer more budget handset

1 Like

Good thought, ill look into it.

In my experience, buying budget phones to save money is a false economy.

• Lower end specs so less future proof, so you’ll ‘buy it twice’ in the long run.

• Spare parts (batteries, screens, etc) can be harder to find and not every repair shop knows how to repair them/keeps parts in stock. You can get a Galaxy or iPhone screen replaced for under $100 anywhere in less than an hour.

• Loss of features/experience, a budget phone feels budget, and if you need a feature like NFC in 2 years it’s not going to get its saving long term.

My philosophy is to buy once and cry once. It’s more money upfront but about the same in the long term for a much better experience. I get a phone that’s ‘last years model’ or newer and drive it into the ground - usually about 4-5 years out of a phone, cheaper per-year than any budget that’d be anywhere near as nice to use.

1 Like

Ya know, usually i go with the same policy but my first phone i bought myself was only $175 or something along those lines and its still going after 3 years I think its been. (Im also broke and about to start college so i should be saving what i can)

In fact, i may even wait till the apex comes out to pull the trigger since the only issues i ever had with it have been no nfc and a little sluggishness here and there recently.

So far the nokia 7.2 or the TCL 10L are looking to be the top 2 if NFC is required.

anyway, its 5:30 am, im going to bet for now and will check back tomorrow

That’s not been my experience, but if it works for you then go for it! It’s a very individual thing so whatever works best for you is the best decision!

I would recommend moving to an AOSP rom if you can, possibly cyanogen or its derivatives (lineage)

1 Like

Android Open Source Project :wink:

1 Like

It really depends on what you want to use the Apex for. My hunch is yes absolutely a phone with NFC is critical, but I can’t presume to know your intended use cases… so maybe you’d be happy with an ACR122U attached to a desktop and some custom software you wrote to make use of it… but as Apex is a VivoKey product and our focus is on the mobile platform, I would get a phone with NFC.

Will thank you all for the input. My phone still functions so I might wait till apex is actually released to pull the trigger, but when I do it looks like it’s gonna be nfc.

As for the aosp that @fraggersparks mentioned, I’ll look into it but since I’ve never even heard of it before I’ll have to do some research first as to the how and the benefits

Actually, @amal is there a price planned for the apex that i can save up for?
Sorry to bug you here but i didn’t thing this warranted its own thread.
I did a quick search of the forums and didnt find anything

Hey, just wanted to bump the last gen phone idea. I love my note 9, and while it wont get future android updates (I think), it’s all around a great phone, it’s got every sensor and port you really ever need. My only wants for a new phone are an ir blaster and wireless power share. Nevertheless, the note 9 is the last with a headphone jack too. The note 10 is also going to be cheaper once the note 20 is out later this year. The last gen hardware isn’t really a huge issue as the note series is just ridiculously beefy.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, ill look into a couple of last gens when the time comes. Depending on how much longer the apex takes, last-gen is just going to get better and cheaper

edit* probably not the note 9. its far over my $400 or less goal. I cant go any higher because i dont have any more.

We are exploring some technical concepts that might allow for Apex chips to be extremely cheap or possibly even “free” with subscription to related services… but nothing is formalized in the slightest yet.

10 Likes