Why is biohacking is important?

Hey Everyone!

Full Disclosure

I am in the beginning of starting some research on biohacking. I know why I believe biohacking is important but what is everyone else’s thoughts? Why is it important to you?

Is it the idea of taking this technology out of the hands of corporations and making it more open source? Is it because of the novelty of it? Do you see the industry growing?

Just looking for thoughts to get my mind chugging :slight_smile:

Thanks!

3 Likes

I believe biohacking has the potential to increase what humans can do. And I’m not just referring to unlocking a door or a computer with your hand. Those things are really cool and makes our way of life a little easier by removing a couple things to carry, while at the same time increasing security. But the potential of future implants and human augmentation(biohacking) is what really excites me. right now having my implant and being a part of this fantastic community, to me feels like being in on the “grass root” so to speak of something with unimaginable potential.

5 Likes

Agree with all you said, and +1 to body autonomy! That has been a huge part of my reasoning for all body mods. I also +1 on personal reasons being part of the LGBTQ+ community :upside_down_face:

I think there’s a lot to be said (for some people, not all) on body modifications and personal identity, body autonomy and sovereignty.

4 Likes

I like your response and +1

4 Likes

Bodily autonomy is of paramount importance

4 Likes

Let me start by saying I just started getting into it myself, but for me it’s kind of about the security potential at least right now. No regular everyday person is going to assume I have one(or many) of these things in me. Or where it is located. They are also not constantly connected to a network so getting my personal data becomes harder than ever before.

3 Likes

I think for me at least in part is the fact that I like to tweak and modify/customize anything I have and now that I have figured out I can modify myself I’m excited to find out what I can do. Tech is amaizing and to be able to be a part of all of this even a tiny part is really excitig.

3 Likes

Humm… I believe in the near future we shall have to increase out input/output abilities. As Elon says “We need to keep on par with A.I.” I am part way to becoming a cyberman lol

1 Like

I got mine just for the cool factor, Probably not the right reason, but its the truth. (I’m also part of the LGBTQ+ community)

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any such thing as one RIGHT reason for everybody.
“Cool factor” is just as correct as “futureproofing”, “infosec”, “access”, “pearling”, “assimilating with the machines before they take over”

5 Likes

@Pilgrimsmaster I almost left that part out cause i knew someone was going to say something, But i understand your point.

1 Like

Personally I don’t think bio hacking is important, I think it’s just another consumer product. I think the company you decide to get your various bio hacking equipment from is important as that will drive where the product innovation goes.

1 Like

cough cough Facebook

LGBTQ+ is interesting. I’m straight/cis-gendered and it’s not something that I had considered. I get it though. Very much a form of body expression. I don’t have any other tattoos or piercings myself and find it kinda fills that desire.

Definitely grass roots. I always joke it’s on the…“cutting edge” hehe

1 Like

Do you feel like it provides a sense of nonconformity then?

I’ve got several tattoos and 2 implants, I’m an electronics engineer by trade and my first one was an experiment in access control after that the idea just enthralled me.

I enjoy the idea of being able to enhance the abilities of my body through experimentation and implantation.

1 Like

Maybe, I haven’t really thought of it like that. I have 1 tattoo one pierced ear and now 2 implants. So I don’t think I can really say I’m a non-conformist in any way. I’m not trying to be different just taking advantage of the technology at hand to improve my life. All the shortcuts that can be programmed into the devices we all carry make our lives easier. We went from carrying keys and cards to key fobs and nfc payment methods on our phones. Soon I hope with the integration of implants that’s all I will need to remember. I have a business card in my right hand (spark 2) and access key in my left (NExT). So I wouldn’t say non-conformist, just a little ahead of the curve.

Makes sense. The small conveniences that it allows are nice.

Personally I don’t think any of the available implants are important. For me at this point in time it’s purely that I enjoy tinkering with all sorts of systems including myself.
Having said that I think it will become very important if given the chance, so I will support awesome companies like DT in the hope that the tech will become truly humanity changing, worst case I get a load of fun cool things to play with and get to chill out with all the other epic people on the “cutting edge”

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see what dsruptive comes out with. I can only find the xSIID from them, and their “contact us” on the site doesn’t work.

They mention bio monitoring, and I am interested in that. Maybe @Amal knows what else they have up their sleeve.

Also, to not completely derail this, I got interested when I couldn’t remember my google login. I was looking for a way to store my password and scan it.