Will it blend? Glass implants endurance testing

Most of the projectile’s energy will be dispersed into your meat.

Think of it as hitting your implant with a rubber mallet, or something that would leave a similar bruise on your skin: will it break a glassie? Possibly if you’re unlucky, but probably not.

I seem to recall Amal implanting a frozen chicken and hitting it with a hammer rather forcefully, but I can’t find it now. Do I recall wrong?

not sure there’s much meat between the implant and a projectile that small of it hits the mark

Nope

Crush testing up to 500N (maxing out the machine)

Here for the write up

I get that… but you’re talking about a broad force versus a very precise force

I’m talking about getting hit on an implant with a projectile the same size as the implant

You can hit a car window with a bat and usually not break it, but hit it with a punch and it fails,

Surface area of impact is far lower with my concern

It doesn’t matter because the implant isn’t backed against a hard surface: there’s squishy meat behind it also that tends to get out of the way.

But before it has a chance to “get out of the way” isn’t all force going to be transferred to the glass implant?

Amal, it seems to me it’s time for you to get the .50 out of the safe and hit the range. Testing is definitely needed here :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be if the implant had enough mass and inertia to resist the acceleration. But an implant is very, very light - less than a gram. It won’t oppose anymore resistance than the meat behind it.

Thing is, if you apply enough force to break it, chances are you’ll have a significant injury yourself anyway.

I have various weapon lights and optics that have cracked lenses from these projectiles, and only small bruises

So I think it’s a valid thing to consider

It’s not un heard of for these projectiles to go into skin

Also, is that .50 mm or cm? If I didn’t know better I’d think you were speaking in inch’s lol

Of course it is. No question :slight_smile: I was giving you my informed hunch. I’m sure in the right circumstances, bad things can happen to an implant.

12.7 mm BMG doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as nice :slight_smile:

There’s no metric war here: a lot of ammo is denominated in inches, and listed as such in the European C.I.P. standards.

i mean… kinda… the crush tester is not an impactor it slowly and cruelly crushes while measuring exact forces. i could go for a thawed chicken haunch and just go to town on it with a meat mallet?

That does sound like fun!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Again, I think a hammer is a very different kind of impact force due to its limited surface are the force is applied

…I mean I’d watch

I just don’t know if it would be applicable

What about a ball-peen hammer? Could be very “to the point”… might try some different options :slight_smile:

1 Like

That might be more better

.50 cal

1 Like

I agree, if you have one, maybe you could try the original question or paintball/rubber bullet vs implanted x series?