Will magic ring work with my college's 4k mifare?

I’m still new to all of this and I’m not sure if my college’s nfc dorm lock is actually using all the the available data on their cards for authentication, or if I can get away with copying the first bit of hex to a 1k tag like in the magic ring. It looks like a poorly secured card with a lot of empty space.

Can someone shed some light on this?
I’m providing the hex dump below.
kirkland_springs.mct.pdf (21.8 KB)

I could be wrong, but that looks like a blank card to me. Probably all you need is the UID… And to clone the UID you need a magic chip. So, I would say, based on that dump, yes you should be good.

1 Like

Yeah it looks to me like none of the sectors are actually used at all. They might be running an auth command against factory default keys on some sector or something… can’t tell without a proxmark3 sniff of a session between card and legit reader, but chances are looking pretty good that it’s just using the ID, which means even a 1k card might be able to be used as a clone target.

I’d suggest getting a proxmark3 from us which comes with a couple 1k magic cards you could test this theory with first before getting an xM1 or flexM1.

4 Likes