Writing / programming NDEF Records

Not sure if this should be under support or projects… BUT… here we go…

I ordered a few NFC tags from amazon to practice writing tags before my NExT gets here, and I need some info on how to write multiple things. Like when I get my chip and I want to share my contact info, will the person scanning be able to see everything on my chip? I downloaded NXP Tag Writer and NFC Tools, and saved an SMS and a URL and both are popping up when scanned. Not sure if I am comparing apples to oranges or not but any tips&tricks will be a HUGE help. Or even a different writing app? Thanks yall!

3 Likes

So just a heads up all phones TIKO only read and act upon the 1st NDEF record. For example if you store a vcard in the 1st and a url in the 2nd most phones will ignore one or even both records.

This isn’t to say you can’t read them fire up a app like you said and you will see both records.

2 Likes

@Devilclarke So when I get my NExT will the person I’m sharing something with need to have an app also?

If they want to see more that one record yes

1 Like

@Devilclarke awesome! Thanks

This is actually changing now… Android phones now offer options when there are multiple records inside an NDEF message… but they still do not support multiple NDEF messages… so it’s basically kinda just shifted down a bit. I don’t have an iPhone but I hear that iOS 13 and iPhone 10 or better also support multiple records.

How the phone behaves will depend on the order of the records though. For example, if I write a URL and then a text record, my Android phones will open the URL and that’s it… but if I write the text record first, then the URL, I will get a menu… i can tap the text data to see the full text record, or I can tap the URL to open the URL. There are also other order differences for things like vCards, phone numbers (call records), SMS and email messages, etc.

5 Likes

@amal That makes sense because I got a menu a few times but couldn’t figure out that it had to do with the order of the info. Thanks!

4 Likes

cool, thats some good info right there. fingers crossed this comes over to Samsung phones. That’s why its never a definite somethings always changing.

1 Like

I think my Galaxy S7 does this also… gotta dig it out and test, but pretty sure it does even on an older version of Android…

4 Likes

I dunno about an S7, but my Note 9 with the current version of android seems to just bring up whatever the first record is on the NExT with no menu or anything… but maybe it gives certain types of records priority? I’ll have to play with it!

5 Likes

Well OK let me quantify what I’m talking about, this image shows what comes up

But if you have a vcard or url or anything that creates an automatic function all other records are ignored. Yes if you just want to share txt records you can but as far as I can see you can’t do anything on that screen. Not even copy and paste.

Ok so yeah text records at the top slot produce a menu… as mentioned, any other record type (basically), will not… and this is on my old S7…

3 Likes

I get the same thing if I put a text record first, but nothing else seems to trigger it

2 Likes

Seems like I had a good question lol :raised_hands:

5 Likes