xBT placement and temperature readings

The xBT is in. It’s implanted about an inch below my armpit, chest-side, and it’s entirely covered by my arm when it’s down. I’ve taken a few “gold standard” measurements and compared them to the chip’s throughout the day: provided I keep my arm down for a few minutes before a reading, the chip’s reported temperature seems to stay between 0.5C and 1C below the thermometer’s.

So, pretty much identical to a regular axillary temperature reading - which it is, at the end of the day - only much, much more convenient to take: the Halo Scanner easily reads the chip through 3 layers of clothing without lifting my arm up (so, through a coat, sweater, T-shirt and at least a solid inch of flesh when my arm is down). Amazing performance!

Here’s a piece of advice if you want to implant an xBT, to get the same performance: have it implanted it horizontally - i.e. parallel to the floor when standing up, or “back-to-front” - and not vertically. Roughly like the blue mark on @amal’s drawing.

The reason is, when the xBT was still in the needle, I noticed the Halo Scanner’s performances were best when I would present the needle orthogonal to the reader, as if “flying through the loop” so-to-speak, and not flat against the reader. So I figured I’d implant the chip on the side of my chest horizontally so that one end would face the reader when approaching it flat against the front of my chest, and it seems to work great. Also, it’s a lot easier for the piercer to work facing you.

Here’s another thing I noticed: if the chip is below 23.9C, it stops reporting the temperature. That got me scared for a minute at the piercer’s: I had just arrived, I took a few readings of the chip to ensure it was still working before implanting it, and the Halo only reported the UID but no temperature. But the chip had spent 2 hours in the car at -20C, so I figured it was probably okay, just too cold to report anything useful. Sure enough, seconds after implanting it, the temperature started showing up and climbing.

So, just so you know, if you get a UID reading from your chip but no temperature, you’re either dead, or you’ve turned into a zombie. Another useful feature :slight_smile:

8 Likes

external-content.duckduckgo.com

3 Likes

Wasn’t quite what I had in mind, or for the same purpose, so I wouldn’t want to take the credit for the idea. :wink:

How long ago did you implant?
Who did the implant?
Is it healing/ healed well?

You MIGHT be the only person on the planet :earth_africa: with an HF RFID pearl!

1 Like

No kidding… With LF you could possibly stick your crotch against a reader. That’s a weird enough way of accessing a building. But with NFC, the read range is so short you might need to get it out. I reckon most workplaces would consider this an inappropriate way of entering the premises.

Threads are there to be hijacked. How else would I have read about an RFID-enabled, temperature-sensing wang eh? :slight_smile:

1 Like

After taking more “gold standard” measurements, I’ve concluded that I should add .5C if I wear a heavy sweater and I’ve kept my arm down for a long time, and .8C if I wear less heavy clothing and/or I’ve been moving my arm around more.

Anyhow, I’m getting pretty sick of that by now. So that’s precise enough for me for the time being. I may try it again next time I get sick, to see if the temperatures correlate also when I run a fever.

4 Likes

All healed up. Not that there was much to heal in the first place, mind you… It’s a bit blue though: maybe the armpit area is more prone to haemorraging than other sites. The skin sure feels thin there. Also, I told the piercer to go deeper than the implants in my hands - and I sure can’t feel the chip at all. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Incidentally, the xBT might have paid for itself already: I’ve been closing watching my temperature throughout the day with it since the injection, and I’m clearly in hypothermia all the time. So much so that I’ve kept on taking my temperature the regular way to compare, because I didn’t believe the chip. More importantly, the chip tells me my body is warmer in the morning than in the evening, which isn’t normal.

That, and other discreet symptoms I have, tell me my thyroid might be acting up again. Time to see the doctor. If the xBT allowed me to catch it early, that alone will have made it totally worth the purchase!

3 Likes

How is the pain implanting it at this location?
Did you use anything to dull the pain?

Shower thought: would swallowing the implant give a better core temperature reading? Assuming it can still work correctly in the stomac? Would it support the acidic environment?
And I won’t mention the retrieval on “the other side”. :slight_smile:

The pain level is identical to the hand really. I didn’t use anything: it’s over after 20 seconds anyway.

I thought about swallowing a test implant and trying to “follow” it down my belly with the halo reader, to see if it still reads deep inside me and gives stable absolute temperature readings.

But then if it does, what do I do with that? It’s not like my piercer is going to implant the final chip in one of my organs or something - assuming there’s a suitable organ to implant it in: I’m no doctor but it seems unsound. And naturally, forget about getting a doc to do it.

Regarding the gastric acid, the implant is glass. Maybe the acid would dissolve the parilene coating, but the rest should survive intact for quite some time, even if it stayed in the stomach and didn’t go down the poop chute.

But even if sticking it in the stomach permanently was doable, it’s out for me: I’ve had experimental stomach surgery almost 2 years ago, and my stomach doesn’t resemble anything normal anymore. It’s probably best left alone…

As for recovering the test chip, well… I don’t think so :slight_smile:

Damn, you missed the opportunity to ask the surgeon to leave a xBT implant somewhere in the vicinity of the stomach! :wink:

It becomes expensive for a “one-time use”.

1 Like

Believe me, when the research team rebuilt my stomach, I was just happy to have the opportunity to participate in the study and have a chance to be done with my GERD problem once and for all. So I was just following orders, like a good guinea pig :slight_smile:

I don’t want to implant something that’s gone through my digestive system, however thorough the cleaning. That’s just too dodgy. And the Biobond coating will probably be damaged too. Not worth the money.

Of course. I was just kidding. Glad it turned out OK for you :+1: . Digestive issues are really painful.

Still joking, reading “the research team rebuilt my stomach” , I can’t help but picture in my mind the intro of the serie “The Six Million Dollar Man”: “Gentemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology”.
</joke mode>

As long as you remove the biobond cap on the xBT this would be totally fine.

1 Like

Damn … now I want 2 xBT (1 for implantation, 1 for “single use trip” :sweat_smile: ) and a Halo reader! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Dosnt have to be single use :rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting study here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2881076/

I could have saved myself a lot of “gold standard” measurements if I had read that study earlier: the test subjects in the study are pigs, which are comparable in size with a human being, the chip is the IPTT-300 used in the xBT aka Destron Fearing BioThermo, and the results are in line with mine - i.e. the chip’s measurements correlate well with digital rectal temperature measurements, and are roughly 1C lower.

Then again, pigs don’t wear clothes. So maybe my own personal tests weren’t so pointless :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed it was
HOWEVER

I challenge that theory

:tophat: :eyeglasses:
:pig::pig_nose:

4 Likes

Just took the mother of all hot saunas: the back passage thermometer reads 41.5C, IR in-ear thermometer reads 40.5C and the xBT also reports 40.5C.

So, pretty accurate even in high temperature.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Ugh, ok… keeping the quoted post in mind, and I apologize for suggesting something so outré (which is why I censored it), but…

What about a post-orchiectomy scrotum? No organs to shift things around, decent thorax placement, and the biggest combination of pro/con I can think of: it sure as hell hasn’t been attempted in the course of humankind

…although it’d be pretty funny to tap the Halo on yr junk whenever you wanna do a reading.

EDIT: erm… is the spoiler bracket not working rn? Or is that just via mobile? :fearful:

2 Likes