xDF2 DESFire EV2 8kB NFC - Stock

Hey guys,

I’m new here and I want an implant to unlock my car. I will build the electonics to control my key fob to unlock my car and maybe use the CAN bus for more advance fonctions. I want something secure so I was looking at the xDF2 DESFire EV2 8kB NFC, but it’s out of stock. Is there an expected date for when they will receive new stock ?

Alternatively, I was looking at the xHT HITAG S2048 Chip. Would it be a good option with it’s “48 bit secret key based challenge/response authentication” ?

Thank you for your help!

Note that developing a secure system for desfire is not trivial, and most of the info to do so is locked behind NDA datasheets.

MIFARE DESFire is a secure technology, however, it is somewhat proprietary. Most information needed for development isn’t publicly published, so it isn’t part something a DIYer can use.

Your best bet is xEM with an xAC access controller. However, since you are putting security in consideration, this may not be an ideal option. 125 KHz is quite insecure, it just gives a UID number.

There is a thread for people interested in building a more secure alternative to xAC. Maybe MIFARE Classic, or some include some form of security outside of UID.

I don’t know much about HITAG, but it is a rather uncommonly used general purpose RFID.