xEM access controller question: shorts on board

Yes and No,
I personally think the xAC is a great product, great price and the antenna is excellent for xSeries implants.

The Mod That @Devilclarke is working on ( Toggleator ) is a very elegant and simple add on solution.

Also I believe his longer term plan? is to possibly / maybe come up with an all encompassing design in conjunction with DT and I assume @TomHarkness for antenna design?
unnamed (28)

2 Likes

Lol no I know the requirements for class 1 i.e. most consumer electronics and you are absolutely right if you take a look at those boards they are crazy.

2 Likes

HAHA i did, anyway that would be what i would like to do yes.

looking at the FCC info this was filed in 1996, its a good chance that the “off the shelf” device (prior to conversion to xAC) is a new old stock potentially obsolete but 1000’s still exist in a warehouse.

EDIT: HRH Vertriebs GmbH the company that makes them no longer appears to exits (no longer registered as a company in Germany)

EDIT 2: company address is now owned by DRUCKEREI ZEIDLER GMBH & CO. KG a printers so even more cause to say the devices are New old stock

2 Likes

Ya I noticed that after I posted and still had no idea what you were taking about. Had to do some searching and figured it out. Lol thanks.

2 Likes

Maybe they are all in the Dangerous Things Warehouse…
So here is the plan, Let’s buy all the xACs so that you can make us the xAC V2… I would make a great businessman, that plan is flawless
unnamed (29)

2 Likes

hehe, no problems there :smiley:

P.S. ive ordered some Rev 2 Toggleator’s

1 Like

No you are right after I thought about it. A custom made product would cost more, why pay the extra price when we have something that already works.

2 Likes

Great sleuthing

1 Like

Actually, as you are a fine english gentleman,
THIS is more apt

3 Likes

Thats the point, it “works” hence the mods and using what we have. There are 2 issues though;

1. The stock will eventually run out.
  2. Only works with EM41 & 42 ID’S

To elaborate on point 2, the xEM is a T5557 chip that can replicate many different ID standards. The problem is if I have my xEM setup to unlock a door at work (HID) then I can’t use it for the xAC.

The ultimate goal is to have a universal LF rfid access controller that is tuned to work with implants.

Love it!!

2 Likes

I think you mean “unobtainable” not “ultimate” :stuck_out_tongue:

Why would it be unobtainable? I see no reason if we design it.

125kHz modulated carrier should be easy to decode?

1 Like

Well you did not state LF RFID :stuck_out_tongue: not even the PM3 is a universal RFID reader.

It might be possible to make a reader that works with at least most of the things a t5577 can emulate.

Personally I would prefer a HF and LF reader that works with the more common standards.

2 Likes

My apologies i did not (fixed now).

what i am envisioning is essentially a cut down proxmark3 v2 no emulation or anything the whole analog front end design is basically there so should’t be massively hard.

:hushed: :hushed: :hushed:
something I’ve learnt is, you never say things like that “out loud”
:no_mouth:

1 Like

always use a qualifier hence the massively :wink:

1 Like

Fair
But
since I already grabbed the gif

1 Like

I think the various modulation encodings and formats would still be an issue. The PM3 you issue a command telling it what you want to do.

I am not an expert in the electronics under the hood but only way I can naively see it working is if you basically run lf search repeatedly which would make it less responsive.

I am yet to see something like a lf hid watch that is ‘universal’

Unless it is universally configurable… that might work. So it wont work with any LF tag all the time but could be configured with a dip switch array or something in very vaigly same way the t5577 can emulate many cards but not at once…

1 Like

I used to work for a large military supplier as a QA engineer. One of our products was an intervalometer for aircraft-borne rocket launchers.

The PCB for that thing was chock-full of shorts, connection bridges, extra resistors and caps tacked on as if they were aftertoughts - and the whole affair was then potted to avoid failure due to vibrations.

When I enquired about that sorry mess, and asked why we didn’t redesign the board entirely (which was my job after all), the reply was: as long as we modify the original board from the 60s, it’s a modification. If we redesign the board, it’s a new product and it’ll have to be certified by the FAA and the EASA as such - by modern certification standards. The 1960s board was never certified because it was a military product, and it was exempt back then, so we could do anything we wanted.

Yikes… The damn thing was more tacked-on modifications than original product. And I know for a fact that it’s still flying…

2 Likes

I saw some boards like that at my last job. I know they went into the rockets though not into the launchers. Anyway we had a specific path that a bunch of jumper wires had to follow and extra caps on the board then we had to tack down all the stuff so it didn’t move lol.

2 Likes