Wiring Wiki / Video Discussion

We might could tie this together if I did a video, and you published a matching diagram?

I need to get my shit together and get started.
I’ve got a plan.

Wait, I can do that better…

We’ve spun way off topic. @Pilgrimsmaster You think you could split this off for us? Let’s let the poor guy have his thread back. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter to me if you split it off I’ll just end up following that thread anyway. Lol

1 Like

Love it, more than happy to chip in where I can!

2 Likes

You already have HERE, without even knowing about it…

3 Likes

What about a basic shopping list somewhere in a Wiki?

Like trusted vendors for your lil blue cloner, and pm3, other electrical things.

Obviously not your on-the-sly vendors, you keep that to yourself.

You could have a section for basic antenna making, breadboard basics, and good places to source them.

I guess I am only thinking of this because I am going to order a pm3 today, and I am trying to figure what else to get, and it is spread around. I know generally where to look to find what I think I need. I feel it would be easier to have a tool name and search for that in the forum, over trying to find your problem, and hope the thread you find has a tool in it for you.

2 Likes

cool, i’ve called my car mote thing the xAC Toggleator (open to suggestions on the name) due to the fact it does more than just work with car remotes basically it takes the xAC output and toggles between 2 sets of connections (shorting them together) long story short it can press 2 buttons with a implant (lock, unlock or open, closed).

@Pilgrimsmaster there is also a glaringly obvious mistake in the schematic so i’ll send of the correct one in PM.

2 Likes

I Love it

How about a poll ( In the form of a Pie chart, because, PIE :pie: )

• xAC Toggleator
  • Something else

0 voters

2 Likes

This is a refreshing change of pace, normally we make extra work for Amal, not Pilgrimaster.

@Pilgrimsmaster
Hey buddy, how’s it going? You got those TPS reports done yet?

3 Likes

HAHA, you might need to send me another copy of the MEMO

1 Like

giphy (19)

Thought I’d drag this back to the top and give a status update.

Got my new camera mount in, and actually cleaned up (re-shoveled and re-piled) my work desk. Need to make a bracket for it to secure to desk. Dug an old PC out of the pile (last one, gotta find more victims) and I’ll need to find keyboard / mouse / monitor to get it going.

Also have a pretty fair selection of “stuff” to work with.

I might be video capable this weekend, and start knocking 'em out one at a time next week or so. Probably keep them semi-private until I’m satisfied that I’m headed in the right direction and I won’t have to go back and re-do the content.

Still progress is progress.

@Devilclarke Once I’ve got my act together, I’d really like to have you diagram the circuit used in each video. That way they agree so as not to confuse the audience more than electrically necessary. Will let you know when I’ve got something to work with.

3 Likes

More than willing to help, how do we want them? Applecad, Eagle (like my pcb schematics) or other?

3 Likes

Your choice. I’m thinking keep it visually simple. Will know more after I’ve got a few vids.

You know how the Arduino examples are organized? I wanna do something similar. That means the first few will be ridiculously simple.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that having more people shooting good quality video could only enrich us all here. So, I thought I’d show how I’m homebrewing my setup.

The arm is sold with the purpose of holding your phone so your arm doesn’t get tired. Puh-leaze. The ad pictures of fit smiling attractive people using it are even worse. This sucker is designed for people too lazy to get out of bed and / or hold their phone up. BUT, flip the phone over and point the camera straight down, BAM! Instant steady cam.

I had to change the mount out. The original is a clamp on affair, that won’t fit my desk. I used some plumbing supplies to get an upright piece of 3/8 pipe. The arm just neatly slides into it.

The phone I’m gonna use is a Samsung Note5. It has two microphones. The one used for phone calls went out, and that’s why it was put into the junk pile. Everything else works just fine.

I still need to:
Get software for the phone, and PC (DroidCam looks ok-ish.)
Finsh setting up PC (Needs monitor / keyboard / mouse.)
Find a USB extender cord. I have a couple, but all in use. I could go with a longer cord, you can buy 10ft one, but the factory cord snaps in place really well. Everything else is loose fitting.
Also need to consider adding some indirect lighting to banish the shadows.

4 Likes

That is looking
If you lived locally, I would gift you all your needed parts.
Nice work

4 Likes

I put a hole and standard screw mount into my magnifier so I could do a similar thing with my phone but still use the magnifier, and the magnifier has a light in it too which is great for filming!

6 Likes

That is a really nice looking glass. I want one, but the nice ones are kinda pricey. What kinda magnification power does it have, and do you like it?

I’m hoping that I can use the camera / monitor as an electronic zoom magnifier. I was winding teensy little coils the other day, and could barely see what I was doing.

3 Likes

this is the best type of magnification I have found for the majority of work, the depth of focus as well as the flexibility is truly brilliant.

here

They also appear to be Adam Savages favourite (he did a video on it here)

3 Likes

I got a cheap LED one on AliExpress, one of the best things I added to my workbench. I use it mainly as a moveable light, but when I’ve wanted the magnifier it’s always done the job for me.

Most of the time with what I do, I’m working with my eyes and just inspecting with magnification afterwards, I’ve got pretty good eyesight so as long as there’s enough light I can get away with it

3 Likes

I’ve got good vision, really good close range if I ditch the glasses, but that wire I was winding was FINE.

It was only .0034 dia. and I wanted it as perfectly spaced as I could get it, on a 2mm core. Wire was dark green, on a black core too. Basically I did it by feel.

4 Likes