xG3 Biomagnet -- suggested locations

Got mine done yesterday, seems to be healing nicely. Went bevel up without thinking, although didn’t seem to have a problem. It hurt significantly less than I expected. My brain’s first thought wasn’t “ouch,” it was more along the lines of “holy shit that feels SO wrong.” I’m hoping for sensing once it fully heals. Here’s how mine went down:

2 Likes

Got it done at the usual spot. Seems to be healing nice and easy. Still a little swollen but I can pick up poetry magnet pieces if I get them close enough hahaha.

Insane stuff. Thank you Dangerous Things! Waiting for the vivo flex to hit production now.

4 Likes

My only feedback for the installer is that the bevel should be down not up… it just makes insertion of the needle much easier. However I can see they were able to manipulate the skin properly to get past the back bevel without much fuss, so, mazel tov!

1 Like

I purchased mine and have it but it’s not implanted yet. I will contribute when I have it done.

My thoughts though are it should be useful for sensing magnetic fields as others have used it for this. I know some people at the makerspace I’m a member of who have a magnet but it’s not the injectable style. I wanted to try injectable after finding out about it. Using it for holding small items is something I wanted as well but realize it’s strength is limited. I guess I’ll find out once mine is implanted.

2 Likes

Just installed our xG3 last night. We went with the ‘blade’ edge of the left hand. Did it bevel-up cos that’s the technique we’ve learned & are most comfortable with. (this was our 12th self-install lol so we’ve learned thru trial and error).

Even bevel-up it went really easy tbh. Easier than the xM1+ implants which I think are the same size?

We did use topical, tho for some reason that never dulls the pain of the start, like the first 10mm of needle always seem to hurt. Past the bevel tho it was fine.

We haven’t tried playing with it yet, just made sure its in the right spot & swelling isn’t too bad this morning. Wanna give it a couple days healing before trying anything fun with it. :smiley:

5 Likes

Here are my implants, I suspect they might be a bit shallow, but lift of the xG3 is superb, NExT also reads like a champ😁
Implanted 2,5 weeks ago by myself😅

I’m able to hold 2pcs M6 nuts with it, and the NeXT paired up with the xEM access controller will read through a 18mm thick wood plank :grin:

Did both at the same hand to be able to utilize a double safety to my lock using the xG3 to close a Reed relay which powers my xEM access controller :grin:
xG3 is the weak link here so i’ll have to rout a bit of the outer paneling down to make it thin enough to close the relay before a scan.

4 Likes

Your lock project sounds very interesting and similar to something I had only thought about. (I don’t have an xG3, and the only reason I have considered getting one is to integrate a reed switch into a circuit)
Have you considered putting some more info together and sharing it in the the Project area?
I am sure there will be a few people interested

1 Like

Wow, those are very visible. Mine is not.

Mine also never encapsulated. It moves around a lot. It slides up and down along the side of the fourth metacarpal. Has yours anchored down?

Mine will hold a small paperclip but that’s about it.

I’ll do it when it’s done/tested a bit more :grin: I need to source the actual deadbolt next :slightly_smiling_face: as the ones I got from ebay were tiny :rofl:

1 Like

So after about 20 days it doesn’t seem to pick up more than a paperclip really. Considering removal and I will test strength once out of the skin.

Hey guys, I frequently dirt bike, play soccer, and workout, and I feel as if these activities might cause trouble. Anybody have any recommendations for placement? I’m thinking the blade of my hand would best best, but I’m somewhat worried that it may cause issues with dirt biking (I’m going for my left clutch hand, which would receive a lot of strain)

I doubt you’d have any issues with any location and any of those activities,. The only issue I might mention would be if you put it in the typical spot of webbing between your thumb and index finger, to keep it high enough / away from your palm.

I have one that is a little more towards the palm than the other. That one can get irritated when gripping things that will “hang over” that area like a drill. So if it were installed in a similar location, and if you happened to grip the handlebar right up against the side of the grip, and if you were really going at it, you might feel some slight irritation.

Just curious, what exactly were you expecting?

What benefit will you get from that?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. From your experience, would you recommend going for the webbing or the blade of your hand? I can see pros and cons and both, but I’m curious what you would have to say about it

We ride bicycle alot, I think the blade of the hand is ok except during the healing process. It’s gonna be tender and stuff so if you can take a week or two or three off from dirtbiking and stuff it’ll probably be better.

We picked blade cos it seems easier to pick things up with the magnet there, and it seemed the area was also sensitive enough that maybe there’ll be some sensing ability too when its healed.

FWIW its just under 2 weeks since we did our install, mostly healed but there’s a bit of tenderness still around the magnet. It can pick up paperclips and dimes pretty easy. Struggles to pick up a nickle but it’ll do it with a little care.

We haven’t tried any kind of ‘field sensing’ yet, figure as long as the area is tender there’s probably still swelling that’d interfere.

1 Like

I am curious of the actual strength of the magnet as others seem to have picked up heavier items. I wonder is it the placement or magnet.

I have a magnet installed in my finger that is half the size, been placed for about 8 years and it is strong enough to pick up a spoon or such.

This newer one seems very weak.

Inverse cube law governs everything. Add just an extra mm distance between the object you want to pick up and the magnet’s surface, and the “pulling force” drops exponentially. This is obvious if you’ve ever played with magnets before… and this is what’s happening. Our glass coating is close to 0.5mm thick, plus tissue and even your hydration level will dictate how much of that magnetic field coming from the N52 magnet inside the glass casing is going to actually interact with material on the outside of your body.

If the magnet you have in your finger is coated in parylene then chances are it’s got quite a thin coating… 8 years is impressive though. Do you know what coating was used? How thick it might be? Also the fingers have far less fatty tissue just below the dermal layer, so again chances are the magnet surface is much closer to the outside of the body.

All these factors will contribute to less “pull force” due to the greater distance between magnetically interacting materials.

My xG3 has been installed for about a month and is, at least mostly, settled. Seemingly very close to the surface of the skin. It can reliably pick up a quarter, unfortunately I don’t have paperclips handy to test them.
Sensing on the other hand seems to be minimal, likely due to the inertia factor. But I suspect it may also be due to a need for more healing, as the area around the magnet is still quite numb.
Overall I would recommend AGAINST this location for the xG3 as I don’t have high hopes for sensing and the lift benefits would likely be equal in the knife-edge of hand location or others. Also it was really freaking painful. I had 2 hours of scarification on the same day as my xG3 and would much rather sit through that again, while also spontaneously getting punched in the face.
There was also some complication with placement being too close to the joint, which after re-location lead to pocketing and thus a longer healing time.
It’s closer to the grip side of my finger than i’d like, but haven’t had any problems since it’s settled. I suspect rock-climbing might be uncomfortable, but haven’t tested yet.

The density of tactile nerve corpuscles in the fingertip is exactly why sensing magnets are placed there… and yes, getting anything placed in the fingertip is probably one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced.

It’s a great location for the right magnet of course.

1 Like