xMagic and dual readers

Hello all,

So a couple weeks ago today I self installed my first implant, the xMagic in L0. I found that was going to be the best option as we use LF for our readers at work and could still use the HF for other mifare cards. I was able to clone my badge to the implant early and have been checking its read capability periodically. Unfortunately we do have several different types of reader types. slowly I have been able to get good couplings. I used the field reader to find the best spots.

I know Iโ€™m still in the healing but can confirm that cloning my badge is successful but still found two readers that are still not wanting to read. The first is the same model as another that is working just the one that is working has a keypad as well. The non-keypad reader looks to be a HID 5455. It puts out the a decent field just cant get that couple.

Second Iโ€™m still not sure the model, but checking it with the field detector its showing both LF and HF. Iโ€™m still researching but thought I could still post incase someone knows. It seems to be set for proximity as the field is on the briefly with the detector card before shutting off. If its putting out both and reads the HF first with no good handshake does it kill the fields, or would it pass to the LF side and try for the handshake there before stopping.

Side note: I did place my order for a NeXT v2 that just shipped and plan to install that in R0. I decided that one so I could have the secondary t5577, but to also gain the HF NTAGI2C ISO14443A and blinky.

1 Like

Have you used your xFD keychain included with your xMagic on these readers to determine the best orientation and location to present your xMagic with?

2 Likes

Yes. I was using that at first and definitely helped with the first couple readers to find that sweet spot. I busted out the card to see if that would help as well. I can see the field and where the best placement would be and still not getting a couple.

1 Like

ok jsut fyi the card will not help you position your x-series xMagic because the antenna geometry is entirely different for the card, and in fact may mislead you as to the best position to go for.

when trying / checking with the xFD (and with your implant), sometimes it makes sense to try the edges;

The red line is basically presenting exactly flat against the side.. easier for the xFD than your hand, but worth checking. The green is basically at a 45 angle, on the corner edge. Sometimes the antennas inside the reader wrap around the exact perimeter of the case and provide good coupling there. Try around all the edges not just one as the antenna may be offset internally (close to one edge but not another).

Ultimately though you might need to see if you can sneak an rsp sticker on to the reader to see if you can create a little spot for yourself to tap at.

2 Likes

Iโ€™ll give that a try! Tomorrow when I get back to the office.

That might be a good idea! Are they reversible? If I could place it on the inside? I should have ordered som in my recent order for the NeXT v2. Just means Iโ€™ll have to place another order soon haha.

1 Like

You can probably test that with the RDC

I have a few things to add/ suggest

some will depend on what sort of acces to the reader and or enrollment system.

  • Can you enroll your HF side?

  • Swiping acrosst the face is what worked for me.

๐‘†๐ฟ๐‘‚๐‘Š๐ฟ๐‘Œ

Like this

make sure you are keeping your implant perpendicular to the antenna.

It may not be the right aproach for your specific reader, but I think itโ€™s worth a try.

As it is a dual freq reader, the LF antenna is PROBABLY around the perimeter so approaching from the outside swipe in โ†’ through is likely your best chance (unless asymmetrical like Amal mentioned)

IF the LF Antenna is more central, the start in the middle and swipe outward.

  • Search for a teardown of your specific reader online, that will help immensely
  • if you have permission, a disassembly will help and also allow you to add RSPโ€™s internally
  • Outdoor/pinpad readers are often thicker and bury the antennas a little deeper due to this.

RSP as Amal suggest would be good if you could

The more you heal, the higher chance of a good read on the stubborn reader.

Sorry, rushed answer.

Hope something in there helps

Also

giphy (28)

3 Likes

Reversible? I donโ€™t know what that means :slight_smile: They can be removed.. they are just stickers basically.

Yes itโ€™s totally possible to place on the inside of the cover instead of the outside.

1 Like

Yeah reversible is an odd way to put it. I more ment if the repeater sticker is a one way or it it would boost the signal either way if I could stick it inside. You answered that as well. I can get access to the inside no problem and that might be the way to go, after a test that is.