xSIID has been released!

this is so exciting!! definitely going to get this for my first implant. now there’s no need to worry about two chips touching!
now to decide on a color…

2 Likes

It has to do with the deal we have with Dsruptive, more or less. Fancier colors are spendier colors.

4 Likes

Damn, I know it’s out of your hands with it being their guts to the chips and new partnership, but its a shame in this day and age that some people still consider a blue LED to be ‘fancier’ than a red or amber.

Great work on bringing these to market in a safe way!

1 Like

just out of curiosity, is there a difference in brightness/light size between this and the xLED?
additionally, do they operate in the same way as a xLED and a xNT would if implanted next to each other?

The good news is, nothing is permanent… we will work on pricing adjustments later on down the road.

2 Likes

Brightness is somewhat dimmer… but not by much. It’s a function of having to share power with the NFC chip off the same inductor (antenna). Coincidentally the brightness follows the pricing… green is the brightest while amber is the dimmest, yet amber is still clearly visible under lighter skin.

Yes you can have an xLED next to an xSIID (with approx 5mm between for safety).

2 Likes

From the product page:

This design ensures the LED does not interfere with operation of the NFC chip and always receives filtered power output regardless of field variance.

In plain English, does that mean the LED only gets power when the NFC chip has power to spare?

1 Like

Actually it’s the other way around… the LED gets power first, then the NFC chip fires up… so when approaching a reader the LED typically lights before the reader talks to the chip.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the LED rob power when it would be needed by the chip when the field’s strength is borderline - in other words, doesn’t it decrease the range then? Or is it just not a problem in practice?

2 Likes

If you had an LED in parallel with the chip on the inductor then this would be the likely outcome, but the NTAG I2C chip has a power conditioner circuit ahead of the transponder circuit and this is where the energy harvesting output comes from, so the LED gets power first.

1 Like

Sorry… brain is tired and messages are coming in fast with new announcement… basically you’re correct… the chip itself gets slightly less range due to the LED on board… but it’s a minimal depreciation.

1 Like

To further clarify, the performance of the LED and chip together in the NTAG I2C is a better outcome than an LED in parallel with an NFC chip with no power conditioning… but again since we’re dealing with tiny implantables the % delta results in very small physical differences. The differences are much more pronounced with a full size ISO card antenna… like this;

7 Likes

I guess it works well enough, else you wouldn’t put it up for sale :slight_smile: But yeah, since the same coil powers two things instead of one, there’s gotta be a tradeoff, however inconsequential in practice.

Cool toy anyhow. I’m tempted - again.

1 Like

Amazing stuff! Now to pick a color.

I remember some discussion in the xGLO thread about transmission of light through skin - it seems like the red and amber would transmit more readily than the green or blue.

Of course, everyone’s skin and installation depth is different, but speaking really generally here, do you think the extra brightness of the green LED will compensate for its absorption by the skin?

In other words, if we want to optimize for “in-vivo brightness,” which color should we pick?

Smurfs and ninja turtles will feel discriminated against price-wise.

3 Likes

Tissue, particularly skin, seems to transmit light of multiple wavelengths rather well… I think it’s blood and darker tissues that are the issue.

7 Likes

Omg i been waiting for something with a light that does more than just lights up. You said it was coming and well here it is. I will be ordering as soon as i get back in town. I need to figure out location now.

3 Likes

Daaaaaaaangit. I just got my XLed installed like, three weeks ago. This would have been awesome

3 Likes

gilly_sorry

7 Likes

Imagine the awesomeness of an XLED AND an SIID

e854ce1435f01c6ff69ec1fdc7b6708d

3 Likes