NFC antenna amplifier/Resonance Circuit project

I’m already so ready for this post

begins reading

EDIT:
I mean you fuckin nailed it. Looks like the Capacitance of the chip you removed was 23.5pF so it’s perfect.

If anybody else is trying to make one and doesn’t know which capacitor to use, you can figure out the correct inductance using that calculator I made, or one you find online.

Once you have an idea of the inductance, you can figure out which capacitor to add to make it resonate at 13.56MHz using this.

Sorry I didn’t deliver on the crucifixion. Fuck up better next time and I’ll be back.

14 Likes

Do they increase scanning range?

I guess you could describe it that way, for some types of transponders anyway. Particularly the small implantable kind. I don’t think you would get any difference in range if you were talking about a full size card, in fact you might get slightly less range with a full size card. It’s more of a magnetic field concentrator then booster or extender.

1 Like

I suppose the same principle applies to LF? Approximately what value should the capacitor be for let’s say one of those cheap EM4100 keyfob antenna? I don’t have a LCR meter :pensive:

That gives me ideas :thinking:
I have a load f old mifare cards …

1 Like

Something like this.

If it is genuinely a n EM4100 and not just a T5577 I’m not sure what the capacitance is, but you can find the datasheet somewhere.

1 Like

It didn’t cross my mind to check the datasheet :man_facepalming:. Thanks!

1 Like

If it is a T5577
you can find it under
T for T5577 in here

To confirm whether your fob is a t5577 or EM 4100, run

lf t5 detect
on a proxmark

but Satur9s link above for his post will be very useful for guiding you through your project

Replaced the ceramic with an smd capacitor and it honestly feels like the range has increased.

But none the less this was incredibly successful for such little invested time.

3 Likes

Any one ever tried it on those antennas?

Not that I have seen on the forum.
I have a few “Bullseye” stickers that I considered using, but went with the copperr wire because I had ceramic caps, and I wasn’t going to achieve the low profile I was after for the whole thing plus the stronger mechanical bond (solder) onto the foil would actually become the weak point; also they may be fine secured in phone case etc, but the stickers are not very robust.
I decided it was a better experiment than a “product”

Amal did look at / consider a sticker
and Satur9 at a flexible pcb version , but thats probably down the list for both of them

If someone has silicone molding skills they could make Iphone case with an integrated nfc booster :thinking: I feel like there’s demand for that

If you can get the solder to work on that foil. IIRC, it’s aluminum and that’s not easy to solder, if that’s even possible.

1 Like

I haven’t messed with designing any stls, but I’ve got a filament and resin printer to make a mold. And I’ve got some flexy resin if anyone wants to send a design and I’ll ship.
Would be nice having a custom phone case for it.

I do have the components lying around, I can make the antennas. What I don’t have is the latest Iphone to see what the best shape is in terms of performance.
If you want to give it a go I can make a batch of generic copper ones and you bend them in whatever shape works.
Edit: I have tiny smd caps so you can fit everything in 1mm resin for sure

1 Like

Maybe. I’ll look to see if I can find some friends with iphones and ask to test out some flexy and filament prints if I can find an STL and figure out how to engrave a space for it.

1 Like

If you give me a list of models you want I can always 3d print models of the phone for you to use as templates

1 Like

Definitely a demand. NFC compatibility is my main gripe with my iPhone. If I could at least fix the coupling issue I would love my phone so much more.

2 Likes

I didn’t think about printing phones to test it on, that’s a great idea! I was just going to steal phones from my friends haha

ordered some HF fobs and 22 pF capacitors and what do you know, this actually works! My previously almost unusable phone can read my apex from a few cm away now!

Version 1 POC:

Version 2 which I can put on a keychain (yes it does work inside of the plastic enclosure):

I just used hot glue to cover the capacitor, version 3 I’ll probably use some kind of epoxy.

5 Likes