Apex cryptocurrency wallet test - VivoKey Unplugged

After further analysis, Ledger Unplugged appears to be a dumpster fire. It does not support SegWit which omits bitcoin, and there are other issues. Primarily though it’s not actively developed anymore and the tech debt with this applet is huge.

Instead, we are exploring a pivot to

It’s all open source. The protocol is modern. The codebase is active. The java card applet code appears clean and straightforward. They have a ton of SDK options for different languages and platforms.

13 Likes

I can confirm the Keycard applet runs on Apex hardware and the Status App (Status - A Crypto Super Wallet) is able to receive and send funds. The app is a joy to use compared to Mycelium …

This option “only” supports the Ethereum chain and all the different tokens, but no Bitcoin. I suppose you have to go though an exchange if you need some Bitcoins.

3 Likes

Not only does Ledger Unplugged omit BTC by not supporting SegWit, it is also an old enough codebase that it doesn’t really support any other cryptocurrencies :slightly_smiling_face:
The alternative looks much better.

The keycard applets supports any BIP-32 HD wallet according to the documentation.

Interested people can now test the Keycard applet by manually deploying 38ea914a / install .

4 Likes

It works a charm! Some functionality provably missing, like factory reset, and no immediate process for PUK and pairing code, not that I know what its purpose is.

Receiving and sending works well, I found a nice test address to send eth to here Ways to support Amal / DT :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Factory reset can be performed via Fidesmo destroy / install.

Pairing codes are required to connect the same card to more apps or devices. PUK is required if you enter your PIN wrong three times.

The Status app has a section in the settings to manage these card codes.

3 Likes

There is apparently also a keycard connect smartphone app for doing additional management of the applet

5 Likes

Installed keycard applet and setup Status. Everything works great, thank you for the work you’ve done thus far on it.

I’m hoping in the future Status either starts accepting other coins that are not based on ETH or keycard becomes compatible with other wallets. I bought $10 whole dollars worth of ETH to test it, but would love to move my other coins to it.

I take it keycard and ETH are our only options for APEX at this point?

2 Likes

If someone wanted to take on the task of updating the ledger applet or point us to an oss javacard wallet app that works, we’d love publish it.

2 Likes

Just installed the BIP32 Wallet applet and it works great with status.im! Send and receive works perfectly and honestly faster than what I was using before.

4 Likes

I’m getting this error after not using the Status app for a while. Any ideas?

Hmm no ideas… might have to ping status app discord?

I got the same error!

It looks like a bug in the status app. I figured out you can get around it by holding your implant to the phone the entire time, even after it’s already logged in. Then once you’re logged in, enable fingerprint login while still keeping your implant pressed against the phone. When you take your implant off, it will give you the error and log you out, but after that you can log in with your fingerprint until they fix the issue

Coming late to the party, I was doing some research lately around the keycard.
So far it seems 3 wallets(which I was able to find) supports it. 2 are more eth oriented - status and walleth - both open sourced and one close sourced - enno wallet(which seems to be supporting btc as well).
edit. I did not tested any of those, but I plan to when I get my apex implanted.

1 Like

Enno is a complete no go if it’s not open source… So at this time there seems to be no wallet for keycard with BTC :confused:

@amal does the Apex with the BIP 32 wallet applet VivoKey release work also with Walleth and Enno Wallet? or it is necessary some update? Thanks

Good question. I don’t use crypto wallets enough to know! Does anyone else know if the status keycard wallet applet will work with these other wallets?

Probably I could be in error, but I suppose that both Walleth and Enno Wallet use the Status Wallet applet.

My supposition is based on the fact the otherwise (in case they use different wallet applets rather than the Status applet) both Walleth and Enno Walleth would have distributed themselves their private label Keycard and would sell directly on their website as a proprietary hardware wallet, instead of mentioning keycard and redirecting on their website.

Probably a simple way to discover it would be scanning a Keycard recently bought to see if it has the only Status applet pre-loaded or also other applets referred to Walleth and Enno Wallet.

Anyway I’m emailing both Walleth and Enno Wallet through their form contact. Once they answer I’ll let you know.