Apex Flex - FIDO2 - SCARD_E_NO_ACCESS

– edit –
I was able to install the FIDO2 applet though the Fidesmo app on my phone but still not with the fdsm utiliyt.

This is a partial follow up to Vivokey & Apex Troubleshooting.

I’m trying to install the FIDO applet on to a non-implanted Apex Flex via the fdsm utility and an ACR1252U reader.

I was able to successfully install the OTP and HMAC applets, but I’m getting the following error when installing the FIDO applet.

FDSM: SCardTransmit got response 0x80100027 (SCARD_E_NO_ACCESS: Access is denied to this file.)

I’ve tried a few different orientations including using the edge of the reader instead of the center, but there was no change in output. I also tried removing all other applets first in case it was a storage space issue.

Here is the full output

PS G:\My Drive\apps\fdsm\23.04.18> .\fdsm.exe --card-apps
Using card in ACS ACR1252 1S CL Reader PICC 0
No applications
PS G:\My Drive\apps\fdsm\23.04.18> .\fdsm.exe --verbose --run cc68e88c/install
[main] [INFO] ServiceDeliverySession - Delivering: Vivokey FIDO2
[main] [INFO] ServiceDeliverySession - Session ID: 15f4326e-a1f9-4f47-b937-3ccbd4c2cd90

FDSM: SCardTransmit got response 0x80100027 (SCARD_E_NO_ACCESS: Access is denied to this file.)
PS G:\My Drive\apps\fdsm\23.04.18>
PS G:\My Drive\apps\fdsm\23.04.18> .\fdsm.exe --verbose --run 61fc54d5/install
[main] [INFO] ServiceDeliverySession - Delivering: Install VivoKey OTP
[main] [INFO] ServiceDeliverySession - Session ID: 8a35802d-45cd-49fc-a1bf-5a106f73e681
[main] [INFO] ServiceDeliverySession - Success: Installation successful!
PS G:\My Drive\apps\fdsm\23.04.18>

Any suggestions?

Windows blocks access to the FIDO application ID on a driver level for ““security”” . Any programs which directly interface the FIDO applet (i.e. use the WinSCard API) need to be run as administrator on Windows. Microsoft wants developers to use the higher-level WebAuthN API instead, which is quite limited in functionality and is not enough for fdsm.

2 Likes