Approaching Family to Explain Chipping

Nah, I don’t - I might have done the same, believe me^^

And the paranoia was rather my point of view as a woman - I’d rather not have sex with someone for several years, not knowing he is sterilized and just hoping everything will work out fine^^

2 Likes

Funny, I want to have it done im a father of 2 no desire for anymore but if i want it done on the NHS I have to be 35… I’m 25.

I dont like the fact my partner has to take a drug every day we have both tried other forms and thats the only one that is satisfactory for both even if begrudgingly.

It really erks me that almost all emphasis is on female birth control although RIGISIL looks like a good future tech for men.

That’s really lame. I got my vasectomy done at 25, but I had to see a few docs before I finally landed at planned parenthood, who got it done. Sucks that NHS won’t do it for so long…

1 Like

I had it done at 20. I had to go for psychological evalation, going to the shrink every week, essentially sitting there for one hour just to say to the guy “No, I don’t want kids. No, I don’t think kids are the greatest gift. No, I don’t think they’re cute. Yes, I have better things to do in my life than raise kids. What else can I tell you?” Eventually the guy got tired of me repeating the same thing over and over, and finally told the surgeon who referred me to him that I seemed sane and serious about it.

All on my own money - shrink sessions and surgery. But it was well worth it.

Anyhow, I hear vasectomies are reversible nowadays. So if I suddenly got the urge to change diapers, I suppose I could have it undone - provided I found someone of child bearing age who’d be happy to sleep with my wrinkly old ass, and my current partner didn’t mind. Unlikely :slight_smile:

I’m seriously annoyed that Vasalgel isn’t cleared for use yet…

It’s an injection of stuff into the vas deferens that creates a kind of charged ion polymer “shredder” for sperm that 1) shreds the hell out of any sperm passing through it, 2) still lets sperm exit so there’s no risk of granuloma, and 3) it’s easily reversed by injecting a special solvent that removes the blockage… and I only bother mentioning #3 there because if it was seriously that simple to reverse then there should be far less concern over young men having it done… in fact, I might argue for having it done by default until men decide they want kids… but perhaps that’s because I have daughters :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting to see where this thread has gone.

Unexpected wholesomeposting on the topic of Vasalgel, nice.
Along these lines, I cannot wait for this to be approved, both long-term and non-permanent birth control for men is a huge step in the right direction for changing the antiquated narrative of gender roles (not to get political or anything).

1 Like

Absolutely agree on this! Though I must admit, I might still be taking my own precautions, at least at the beginning of a relationship or on “casual meetings” - guess it would be easy for a guy to say “heeey, don’t worry, I cared for that” simply because they just don’t really like the alternatives (to be honest, who does…?) :wink:
Additionally, if anything like that is going to be ready to use, it might be important to talk a bit more about STDs and such stuff, because many younger people I know use condoms simply not to get pregnant…

Yes! Thats the stuff that sprung out of the RIGISIL study in India.

1 Like

I’ve been following the whole vasalgel thing for years … legitimately cannot wait for that stuff to become available.

Heh, there’s a local vasectomist called Dr Snip, he advertises with billboards all over the sunshine coast.

1 Like

Back in 92, I remember driving down Sepulveda Bd and seeing billboards advertising for the services of a certain Dr. Tommy Vasek who specialized in… guess what. Turned out - and I kid you not - it was his real name :slight_smile: That’s when I learned what an aptronym is.

That’s why we should have chip implants anyone can scan to verify cryptographically signed attestation data like “vasalgel injection: true” from major medical records providers.

3 Likes

jep, that’d be a really great idea! Additionally maybe also a chip for the ladies, which checks the hormonal status (I think the Circadia was able to measure blood glucose level, so that should be somehow possible… at least, some day) and can be scanned to avoid that “oops, forgot the pill”-thingy - or to find out more fertile days for those who want to get children.

1 Like

You two are describing a nightmarish society that I want no part of. The scenarios you’re laying out would fit perfectly in an episode of Black Mirror.

3 Likes

Hmmm… okay - may I ask why? Maybe I don’t get the downsides, but for me it would be a possible solution for birth control and unwanted children… and still, nobody is forced to use these (which would be a problem, of course)

Scanning someone and being able to learn immediately that Sir is fixed, or Madam is 5 days from ovulation, sounds terribly invasive.

Well, maybe not so much if the data exchange takes place locally between two consenting adults. But you can bet a shiny penny that some third party on the cloud will be involved in the exchange - because nothing can be done without being on cloud apparently nowadays, particularly in Amal’s scenario that involves medical record providers and cryptographically signed attestations. Then the potential for abuse is off the scale.

Still, even locally, if unchipped people can’t have a good fuck because potential partners refuse to go to bed without electronic reassurance, that’s quite dystopian too.

Data abuse is a really big problem, I get that and I’m totally on your side in that point. To be honest, I was assuming this here…

… and not some sort of cloud-service. Just information “stored” on the chip or whatever, only readable from a short distance and only if the wearer allows it. Otherwise, this data would be far to sensible, of course.

And that - hell, why not? We all can, now, without being chipped, and there will always be alternatives - like, for example, all that stuff we currently use :wink: And which keeps STDs at bay, just to bring that one up again^^

This is not how things are done these days.

Case in point: the other day, I bought an electronic scale - you know, to weigh myself. I bought this one because it has a bluetooth connection that promised to let me see my weight on my cellphone, which sounded great because my eyesight isn’t all that great.

Well, I installed the app, and sure enough, I had to create an account, and the damn thing wouldn’t work if my cellphone wasn’t connected to the internet. Needless to say, the scale went back to the store.

I also bought an NFC lock the other day. Same thing: it’s an NFC lock, it doesn’t need the internet, but for some reason, the cellphone app that I needed to use to register new tags needed an account and a internet connection. It went back too.

I have a couple of smart wall socket plugs. Same thing: they need an internet connection, because - get a load of this! - when I turn on the light with my cellphone, it sends the request to a Linksys server, that sends the actual relay command back over the internet to my wall socket 10 ft from me. And of course, they don’t work without an account either. Only those two do because I hacked them and they don’t talk to Linksys anymore.

This is not the exception, this is the norm now. My prediction is that your device that watches womanly bodily processes to determine how far you are from fertility could work locally, but won’t by design. In other words, you won’t be able to buy a non-invasive, non-cloudy monitor.

That’s the nightmare I want no part of.

2 Likes

Same here. Try to keep all my devices to communicate as little as possible… It’s absurd how many things need some sort of internet connection now, just so that google and co. can collect some more data about us all. But still, people place alexa in their homes and post their whole life on f***book…

ButI still think, the problem with those (still non-existant) fertility-chips and all that, are not the chips themselves but rather the “cloud”-stuff that most companys would combine with them. So I still say, chips like these would be a fine idea - provided you build a “safe environment” for them. Or hack them. Or whatever :smiley:

Yeah I know, this would probably not happen, and in that case I would surely not implant such a chip. But if I keep the data myself, I’d be fine with that.

1 Like

Fat chance. It doesn’t take much cryptography to make something unhackable. I only managed to hack my Linksys wall sockets because someone had leaked a hidden backdoor command to reprogram the phone-home server address on the internet. I wanted to hack the firmware, but I couldn’t get anywhere near it: it was encrypted.

Besides, maybe you’re technologically savvy enough to build a safe - and sane - environment around your chip. But most people aren’t, so they’ll go with the privacy-invasive versions of whatever commercial devices are available on the market, and your “safe environment” will not play ball with them. So eventually, if you want to use your chip to interact with other people’s apps, you’ll have to relent and use the cloud service.

As for Amal’s crypto-certified fix, by definition, it requires a certification authority - that is, a third party with the same crypto key that’s been programmed on your chip, with the ability to know how many times a week and at what times someone requests your fertility status, and who requested it. You know what? That doesn’t make me all warm and fuzzy - as in, not at all.