Bodybytes Implant

Do you think you could run a simple file server on it?

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32c3/api-reference/storage/spiffs.html

I wouldnt use spiffs use littlefs instead.

And an example of using it for a web server

2 Likes

Wild to read all this, love the project idea. Would it be accurate to say that the current state is reflected in the OP, with time of researchers being the current limit?

I was following some of the experimentation of trying to get some capacitors to workā€¦ Most of it was well over my head so I kept my nose out of it lol

But getting enough performance out of small enough and ā€œsafeā€ enough components seemed to be a legitimate struggleā€¦ let alone source them

Forgot to mention that I designed a new version thatā€™s much smaller and should have similar or better performance. Can expect 400mA at 5V. Itā€™ll arrive in a day or two. Gonna bring some to grindfest.

Itā€™s 0.6mm thick with the tallest part being 1mm. The total size is 31 x 26mm. Miana already made an LED add on board.

8 Likes

Whereā€™s that at?

Someday, something will happen at a sane~ish distance for me.

1 Like

Tehachapi California

1 Like

Well thatā€™s only a delightful 23 hr and 45 minute drive. Assuming no stops, road construction, and infinite bladder size.

Dammit.

2 Likes

How viable is it currently?
Is this just the Qi power component, no data or transmit module yet?

Regardless it looks sexy and I canā€™t wait

3 Likes

The previous version that I shared was pretty good, but it was really just a proof of concept. Iā€™ve refined and miniaturized the design a bit. Iā€™m kind of pushing the limits of how small a Qi antenna can be though, so weā€™ll see.

Yeah, this is simply for power delivery. I made it for the bodybytes, but it can be used for a lot of different projects. I may even populate a bunch on my CNC Pick & Place and sell them to hobbyists. Not sure. For now though theyā€™re coming to grindfest and people might have other implant ideas they would be suitable for.

I donā€™t have the bandwidth, desire, or expertise to finish this community project myself. I said from the beginning Iā€™ll handle the Qi charging and manage the board design, but people need to settle on the features, chipset, firmware, and software they want. Interested parties with staying power are always in short supply though. @TallowyCape and @NiamhAstra are still involved, mostly communicating on the discord. Xander52 has been really active with the project lately (not sure if theyā€™re on here).

Depending on the encapsulation material we could get a test implant going with the existing vocore board hooked up to this Qi receiver. Amalā€™s biopolymer wonā€™t be viable until we have all the kinks worked out and can make the whole thing on a flex PCB. Thatā€™s a ways off though.

Iā€™m going to grindfest next week so Iā€™m going to chat with Cassox about his encapsulation method. I donā€™t have a huge amount of confidence in it, but something like that would be necessary for earlier revisions of this implant.

If anybody is really interested in helping out with the development feel free to post here, on the discord, or message me directly.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s validā€¦ unfortunately I have nothing meaningful to contribute besides a curious, friendly and sarcastic presence

Just because I only ever understood so much of where the project stood

Was there ever a solution to how to transmit through the skin? BLE, NFC, WIFI?

I just want a 1tb sd card in my arm lol

I was laughing other dayā€¦, in theory if this project or of similar scope are successfulā€¦ we are going to jump straight from the kilobyte range directly to terabyte range of storageā€¦.

4 Likes

WiFi is the target right now. It will make it through a few millimeters of tissue. I doubt the range will be more than a few meters though. Kind of works in our favor as a virtual security feature. It will affect the data rate, but we need to do testing to see. Thatā€™s why I want to get a prototype implant together ASAP so I can try the WiFi out.

2 Likes

Lol itā€™s so little. Gotta measure some antenna characteristics and then order parts. Hopefully I can get it sorted by Wednesday.

9 Likes

Depends a lot on the kit youā€™re using but if the goal (my personal goal) is to just work with my phone which is on my person, itā€™s perfect. One thing to consider is controlling the signal output strength on the WiFi as well. Reducing output power may help improve data rates at close range.

3 Likes

What are the odds of getting to use the Broadcom wifi 6e chips (and software for them) in this?

1 Like

Low honestly because itā€™s a brand new chipset and the availability and support will be limited. As it becomes more accessible we can definitely consider adapting a newer version of the bodybytes to use this

3 Likes

Getting consistent 500mA at 5V and the heat (on the chip) is manageable. Maybe 680mA at 3.3V, but the heat gets a bit out of hand. I need to make one more pass to fix a resistor, then Iā€™ll be making them available for people to play with.

Hereā€™s a module Miana made for it already

20230609_211513

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t heat dissipate faster through the body (which is essentially like water-cooling) than in open air? So the in-vivo temperature threshold might be higher than expected. Iā€™m not sure what kind of temperature internal cells can sustain for short periods like thatā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the plan. The entire heat dissipation right now is convection with the air. In the body it would be entirely conduction so probably better. Basically water cooled. You can see I added as much of a ground plane as I could afford on the bottom.

This unit will also likely be available for hobbyist projects outside the body though, since I can crank them out on my pick and place machine. In that case the max draw would be more relevant for the lifespan of the device.

3 Likes