Book recommendation thread

The Martian - Andy Weir. Not the movie.

The Art of War - Sun Tzu Be prepared to think.

Trilogy by C.S. Forrester. British Napoleonic sailing.
Beat to quarters.
Ship of the line.
Flying colours.

5 books by C.J. Cherryh. Scifi
Pride of Chanur.
Chanur’s Venture
Kif strike back.
Chanur’s Homecoming.
Chanur’s legacy.

1 Like

I second this. I know it’s cliche but the movie just doesn’t hold up to the book.

2 Likes

Trivia: Tully, as depicted on the original cover art by Michael Whelan, is none other than Michael Whelan.

1 Like

Color Consciousness by Natalie Kalmus

Only 9 pages and worth the time. It’s about colour theory and justifies why Technicolor decided to ditch black and white film.

Shall we hashtag the posts so we can search the topic? I guess if will grow huge soon. I’m trying to include descriptive key words anyways.

1 Like

Dude thats factoid awesome.

This is what the Lounge is for, off Topic posts that you might want to follow some form of logical path, so you nailed it first time buddy.
Where as
The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijacking🔫 thread🧵 interrobang
Lounge
is more of a “just throwing something out there and let it go where it goes”

Neuromancer by William Gibson

A great intro to Sci-Fi. And since it is my first ~real~ sci-fi book, I can attest to that fact.

2 Likes

The Future of Human
Augmentation 2020
Opportunity or Dangerous Dream?

Short read, an international survey done by Kaspersky Lab

So I really loved those Chanur books because it has a collection of alien species that have MUCH different philosiphies and origins than each other. All the characters follow the precepts of their own species, they’re not just aliens whith human motives, and the detail is incredible, especially after the first one.

The second set of scifi you might like is the Troy Rising series, but all aliens have essentially human motives. Still, a good series.

John Ringo
Live Free or Die.
Citadel.
The Hot Gate.

@anon7067117, you’ll probably understand this better than most. I have to actually limit what I read, cause once I start, I can’t won’t shan’t put it down till the last page is turned. I never start a book on a workday / night. Sucks when you finish just in time to watch the sun come up, shower and head for the daily grind with 0 rest.

Yeah, I completely understand. I always laugh when people say that ‘I should just read something before bed to fall asleep’ :slight_smile:
I have currently strictly limited consumption of (thick) fantasy/scifi books - if I pick one up, it becomes my complete focus for like 3 days and destroys my life a little :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

A fictional and timeless story that entertains through character development. Confronts the hero with archetypical figures and lets him to learn from them by understanding them.

8 Likes

More was never enough

Just finished the Leviathan series, interesting take on WW1, genetically manipulated beasts (darwinists) vs industrialism (clankers) Steampunk dystopian past.

2 Likes

i’m an avid reader too, and use a kindle. here are the most recent books I’ve read(3 months)
IT
The shining
doctor sleep
the outsider
the pet semetary
the girl who loved tom gordon
the long walk
different seasons
full dark, no stars
the dead zone
the stand
misery
carrie
11/22/63
the cell
as you can tell, I read quite a bit of Stephen king(trying to get through all of his books by next year, probably earlier)

2 Likes

If you like Stephen king you may like “Imaginary Friend” by Stephen Chbosky (he wrote perks of being a wallflower but this book is 100% a 360 from that, he went from a teen coming of age book to horror and he did it well)

Be warned it is 705 pages long.

Also, love My Ereader! makes everything a lot easier

thanks! will add to reading list.
I love my kindle(most recent paperwhite), which reader do you have?

Kobo Clara HD (Used to have a Glo but sadly I broke it after tripping XD)

I stick with kobo just for the easy modding you can do to them and the pirating of books (shhhhh)
Amazon has really great products tho, and I am a continuous user of audible

i kinda (sometimes) have to pirate books too because the prices are… out of budget.(I don’t get too much every year, ~$50au and I don’t want to blow 1/4 of my budget on 1 ebook)

1 Like

btw, https://pdfget.com/ is a good place to get some books.

1 Like