Book recommendation thread

I would describe myself as an obsessive reader from an early age. I’m looking for some new material to read, and I’m sure others are too. Would you mind sharing some things you have read recently, or some thoughts on them? :slight_smile: All genres welcome, technical stuff as well… especially implant related.

Me first:

• I recently read Kallocain by Karin Boye. Brilliant book.
  • I’m currently gnawing throught The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. I find it a relatively challenging read, not for reading after 8 hours of work :wink: even though it has just 120 pages…

And @Pilgrimsmaster, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this. Not really implant related

2 Likes

A brief history of time by Stephen Hawking

The Lights in The Sky are Stars by Fredric Brown

The Human Condition: Reality, Science, and History by Gregory A. Loew

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

4 Favorite books of all time, one Science Fiction (second one) Others are more serious but great books no doubt

I second that, the audio book is just as good. Checked both.

Audio book wise:

• Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine
    by Hannah Fry

is enjoyable. I didn’t have the hard copy, but the author herself reads it and I have a crush on her anyways.

1 Like

I read the Mathematics of Love, she is quite entertaining, but the book lacks any depth (although, that is not its purpose). Listened to her on the Numberphile podcast with Brady too.

Ignition! - An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark

Foreword by Isaac Asimov

I never would have believed chemistry and rocket science could be this amusing.

2 Likes

If you want to get into or are into into Biology, Genetics, or Fermentation I highly recommend

The Noma Guide to Fermentation
Explains the processes, the science and comes with things to try

Hacking Darwin by Jamie Metzl
I’m still reading this but i’m loving it. It’s a story style explanation of where genetic engineering is going and what the future of it is starting to look like.

1 Like

The Chants of Maldoror by Lautreamont (might be Maldoror’s Chants as well, dunno the english title…) - great and strange and f*ed up book, I just love it.
Anything by Clive Barker or Lovecraft, for entertainment :wink:

Genetics & molecular biology are my home field :slight_smile: Will certainly take a look

2 Likes

The Martian - Andy Weir. Not the movie.

The Art of War - Sun Tzu Be prepared to think.

Trilogy by C.S. Forrester. British Napoleonic sailing.
Beat to quarters.
Ship of the line.
Flying colours.

5 books by C.J. Cherryh. Scifi
Pride of Chanur.
Chanur’s Venture
Kif strike back.
Chanur’s Homecoming.
Chanur’s legacy.

1 Like

I second this. I know it’s cliche but the movie just doesn’t hold up to the book.

2 Likes

Trivia: Tully, as depicted on the original cover art by Michael Whelan, is none other than Michael Whelan.

1 Like

Color Consciousness by Natalie Kalmus

Only 9 pages and worth the time. It’s about colour theory and justifies why Technicolor decided to ditch black and white film.

Shall we hashtag the posts so we can search the topic? I guess if will grow huge soon. I’m trying to include descriptive key words anyways.

1 Like

Dude thats factoid awesome.

This is what the Lounge is for, off Topic posts that you might want to follow some form of logical path, so you nailed it first time buddy.
Where as
The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijacking🔫 thread🧵 interrobang
Lounge
is more of a “just throwing something out there and let it go where it goes”

Neuromancer by William Gibson

A great intro to Sci-Fi. And since it is my first ~real~ sci-fi book, I can attest to that fact.

2 Likes

The Future of Human
Augmentation 2020
Opportunity or Dangerous Dream?

Short read, an international survey done by Kaspersky Lab

So I really loved those Chanur books because it has a collection of alien species that have MUCH different philosiphies and origins than each other. All the characters follow the precepts of their own species, they’re not just aliens whith human motives, and the detail is incredible, especially after the first one.

The second set of scifi you might like is the Troy Rising series, but all aliens have essentially human motives. Still, a good series.

John Ringo
Live Free or Die.
Citadel.
The Hot Gate.

@anon7067117, you’ll probably understand this better than most. I have to actually limit what I read, cause once I start, I can’t won’t shan’t put it down till the last page is turned. I never start a book on a workday / night. Sucks when you finish just in time to watch the sun come up, shower and head for the daily grind with 0 rest.

Yeah, I completely understand. I always laugh when people say that ‘I should just read something before bed to fall asleep’ :slight_smile:
I have currently strictly limited consumption of (thick) fantasy/scifi books - if I pick one up, it becomes my complete focus for like 3 days and destroys my life a little :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

A fictional and timeless story that entertains through character development. Confronts the hero with archetypical figures and lets him to learn from them by understanding them.

8 Likes